E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Canon 5D Mark II vs. the original 5D

12-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

Canon 5D Mark II vs. the original 5D

Hi guys,

I am a Canon guy and have the D30 right now. I have a couple of L series lenses - namely the EF 24-70mm f2.8 and the EF 70-300 IS f4 in addition to non-L series EF lenses.

I want a full frame camera and was thinking of the 5D. The Mark II has an issue with shadows around bright images. There is not a huge price difference between the 2. the Mark II sells for around C$3K and the original one for around C$2.2K.

So - should I wait for them to work out the troubles with the Mark II or do you guys think that 21.9 megapixels is an overkill and get the original 5D. The reason I ask is because having 21.9 megapixel images with take much more hard drive space and I am not making billboards....
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
DC5ITR88
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Did you have like 6 tabs open and you clicked on the wrong forum to post this? This question has been beaten to death here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

This is a car forum...

In my opinion the 5d Mark II or any 5d is a toy compared to the 1d. Given my statement I have a 1ds-mark III. Full frames are great for taking landscape pictures. If you want to make huge prints I would go with a full frame but a crop camera would be sufficient IF YOU WERE TAKING PICTURES OF JUST CARS.

EDIT: Saw this in the picture sharing section and posted b4 it was moved.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5ITR88 View Post
Did you have like 6 tabs open and you clicked on the wrong forum to post this? This question has been beaten to death here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

This is a car forum...

In my opinion the 5d Mark II or any 5d is a toy compared to the 1d. Given my statement I have a 1ds-mark III. Full frames are great for taking landscape pictures. If you want to make huge prints I would go with a full frame but a crop camera would be sufficient IF YOU WERE TAKING PICTURES OF JUST CARS.

Sorry - my bad about posting in the wrong forum. I did not have multiple tabs on. I was making the post and then had a phone call. Computer went into screensaver and then screen off. Came back and completed the post - can't explain why it went into the picture forum..... Once again - my apologies.

I did a google search and did not find many comparisons. I know that a couple of guys know a lot more than I in the photography section. I also did a search here before posting. I will check out the link. I will check out the link you kindly posted.

I photograph cars, landscapes, women, wildlife (just ordered the 100-400mm L series lens), flowers, as well as family get-togethers. I will keep the D30 as a backup. I do not make billboards and thus I feel that 21.9 megapixels may be overkill.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I'd sure get the new 5D mkII if it's not that much more than the original 5D. The new one has awesome ISO performance, 1080p video and a great 3" screen. Basicly newer and better.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

Go for a second hand 5D. Should save enough money to invest in new glass also.

If you are actually making your money from photography, go for the mkII or if you REALLY need the video rec then go for the new version.

No point in a 1D or 1Ds since you will spend more time setting up your Cfn's.

I still shoot with a 5D classic and price vs performance (especially now). Nothing comes close. I wouldnt even trade a classic for a 1Ds.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 06:29 PM   #7
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

This is a car forum...

Im a member there also, will look out for pics. Edit : You have an XTi if you user name is the same. :P
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #8
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Hi guys,

I am a Canon guy and have the D30 right now.
you're a canon guy but you don't even know you have a 30D not a D30...

????
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
wvtlo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post

????
Canon made a D30 (released in 2000) and a 30D (released in 2006). Both take EF lenses, so he could have either one.

Enfield,
With that said, I just got the 5D MKII and I like it so far. The 21MP is definately pimpin'. For your purposes though, I'd look at a 5D. I'm selling mine, PM me if interested.
      12-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:

????
Thank you for pointing out that I put the "D" in the wrong place. I appreciate the correction. By stating that I am a "Canon guy" all I meant was that I was not going to get a Nikon - so that this did not become a Canon vs. Nikon debate like the 6MT vs. M-DCT debates. I did not mean that I own Canon (as in the owner of the company) or that I am an expert. Sounds like you are an expert - so how about contributing an answer to my question please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtlo View Post
Canon made a D30 (released in 2000) and a 30D (released in 2006). Both take EF lenses, so he could have either one.

Enfield,
With that said, I just got the 5D MKII and I like it so far. The 21MP is definately pimpin'. For your purposes though, I'd look at a 5D. I'm selling mine, PM me if interested.
I think I am going to wait a few months so that Canon figure out a cure to the 'black dot' issue since I do a lot of shooting in low light conditions. This article explain the issue: http://www.electronista.com/articles....ii.black.dot/

Thank you everyone for your opinions and also on the constructive feedback on how posted on the wrong forum (I am sure that I am the only one to have ever done this in the history of the world) and that I put the 'D' in the wrong place.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
Thank you for pointing out that I put the "D" in the wrong place. I appreciate the correction. By stating that I am a "Canon guy" all I meant was that I was not going to get a Nikon - so that this did not become a Canon vs. Nikon debate like the 6MT vs. M-DCT debates. I did not mean that I own Canon (as in the owner of the company) or that I am an expert. Sounds like you are an expert - so how about contributing an answer to my question please....
no i kinda find this thread insulting as a photography student who doesn't have money flowing out of their ass for a brand new 5D MkII or a few L lenses (like its no big deal), you obviously don't care to learn much do you, are you just some guy who has $ lying around and wants to buy the newest expenisve toy but have absolutely no clue how to use it? Cuz thats how you are coming off to me in the this thread.

I'm not claiming nor have I ever claimed to be an expert but at least I know the difference in a d30 and a 30d.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #12
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep

Quote:
no i kinda find this thread insulting as a photography student who doesn't have money flowing out of their ass for a brand new 5D MkII or a few L lenses (like its no big deal), you obviously don't care to learn much do you, are you just some guy who has $ lying around and wants to buy the newest expenisve toy but have absolutely no clue how to use it? Cuz thats how you are coming off to me in the this thread.

I'm not claiming nor have I ever claimed to be an expert but at least I know the difference in a d30 and a 30d.
I have no intention of insulting anyone - including you. I have already apologized for putting the "D" in the wrong place. It was an error. Please forgive me.

I did my student thing. Been there and worked hard. Made many sacrifices. You are starting on that path as a student. I wish you good luck and I wish you the best for the future.

Please do not judge people on whether they have money or are dirt poor. We are all Homo sapiens and we are all the same irrespective of colour, religion (or lack of), creed, sex, finances etc.

In closing - I would like to apologize if I insulted you. That was not my intent.

Now what colour should I get for that darn Ferrari? Kidding - above my pay grade.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Look, I think this is getting out of hand. The original question I think is valid. If people want to spend money on something, so be it.

Back to the topic, both of them are great bodies and the 5D classic is by far not dated. The ISO handling up to 3200 is fantastic and well controlled.

ISO 800 (no noise reduction)

ISO3200 (no noise reduction)

Both taken with the 85 1.8 so not an L lens.

Its a weapon of choice for most wedding photographers for a reason, its ISO handling is stunning and serves its purpose. The only things which is does not have vs the II is the higher ISO range (not that important with a good set of primes), video rec (not important when I want to take photos) and sensor cleaning which I prefer to do manually since its far more effective.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
Look, I think this is getting out of hand. The original question I think is valid. If people want to spend money on something, so be it.

Back to the topic, both of them are great bodies and the 5D classic is by far not dated. The ISO handling up to 3200 is fantastic and well controlled.

ISO 800 (no noise reduction)

ISO3200 (no noise reduction)

Both taken with the 85 1.8 so not an L lens.

Its a weapon of choice for most wedding photographers for a reason, its ISO handling is stunning and serves its purpose. The only things which is does not have vs the II is the higher ISO range (not that important with a good set of primes), video rec (not important when I want to take photos) and sensor cleaning which I prefer to do manually since its far more effective.

Those low light photos turned out pretty good only because of the f1.8 lenses. It would look different if it was a f2.8. Because the focus range is so short, you wouldn't need any L lenses for great results.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #15
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blob View Post
Those low light photos turned out pretty good only because of the f1.8 lenses. It would look different if it was a f2.8. Because the focus range is so short, you wouldn't need any L lenses for great results.
Not true. I shoot 2.8, 4 and up to f/8 for low light work on any lens. The samples were using a non-L and high ISO as an example of its ISO handling, not lens capability.

The only thing the differentiates photos from a 1.8 to a 2.8 is depth which is not what im trying to show in these photos. The comparison here is between a 5D classic and a II. Im showing the poster that how well the 5D classic still performs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teshi View Post
Not true. I shoot 2.8, 4 and up to f/8 for low light work on any lens. The samples were using a non-L and high ISO as an example of its ISO handling, not lens capability.

The only thing the differentiates photos from a 1.8 to a 2.8 is depth which is not what im trying to show in these photos. The comparison here is between a 5D classic and a II. Im showing the poster that how well the 5D classic still performs.
The 5DmkII has about a 1 1/3 stop advantage over the 5D, but to show anything, you need to do 100% crops of the same photo. These comparisons at this small resolution don't mean much.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #17
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
1. The Canon 1DsMKIII and Nikon D3X no longer make sense at their crazy 8K price point. Many pros are realizing this and getting 2 5Ds or 2 D700s for cheaper. IMHO, the only need for a 1Ds or D3X is if you really need dual card support, faster AF off-center point, and better weather sealing. Otherwise, it's hard to justify the 5K more. I had numerous Canon DSLRs over the years - from the 10D - 1DsMKII (and 1DMKIII) as well as the Nikon D3. The winner these days is the 5DMKII / D700 with primes.

2. Full frame is not just for landscapes. Full frame allows for shallower DOF, use of wide angles in non-landscape situations, etc. There's a lot more to it. I've shot events/weddings/sports before, and full frame is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #18
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:

about the rudest and most uncalled for post I've read this wonderful eve.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:56 PM   #19
golemite
Sleeper
United_States
Rep
Drives: B5 S4/E92 M3

heres the thing though.. with photography its sometimes better to get the best you can afford rather than what your skill can actually use at the moment. if you can afford a L lens, you'll keep it for pretty much forever if you picked the right focal length and aperture for your needs... same with bodies. a 5d mkii might be a tad excessive for the needs of just a hobbyist, but if they want to do portraits, weddings and stuff like that its a great choice that you wont get tired of soon (well, until the 1dmk4 is announced lol)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #20
jhv
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:

This is a car forum...

god damn youre an asshole; even with that edit.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #21
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
You're dumb, I'm afraid. There is no cure.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #22
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvwx049 View Post
Our best powerleveling services are here to help new or casual players level up quickly and efficiently. Our wow power leveling services will get your character to your desired level, with warcraft gold and equipment if you desire for easily affordable prices. At http://www.inwowgold.com, our highly trained staff are available on all US and Euro servers, waiting to serve your World of Warcraft needs. Be it farming for wow gold, power leveling characters, grinding faction or honor points, contact us at inwowgold today and speak to one of our representatives. You won't be disappointed!

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0