E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Going Snowboarding.

04-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Going Snowboarding.

So I'm going on a vacation snowboarding and I need some snowboarding pants and a jacket. Any suggestions on brands? I live in Alabama, so I know nothing of snow gear or good brands. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
      04-03-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Burton, Dakine, GNU, Libtech
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bab0i
Burton, Dakine, GNU, Libtech
Thanks! I do like how those Burton Bulge look. Anyone else's thoughts?
      04-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I've had a pair of Volcom pants for a few years and they're great. Can't go wrong with North Face either.
      04-03-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Salomon > all

Where are you going? It's getting to be Spring conditions, so you'll likely be sweating if you overdress.
      04-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
I've had a pair of Volcom pants for a few years and they're great. Can't go wrong with North Face either.
I love ALL my Volcom gear. Has lasted for years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Salomon > all

Where are you going? It's getting to be Spring conditions, so you'll likely be sweating if you overdress.
This as well, make sure you buy a layer able jacket. Meaning something that is a wind shell that you can put a t-shirt or sweat shirt under.

Have fun!
      04-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Burton makes good stuff.. That's what I use. The ones previously mentioned are good as well.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
catherineanh
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435xi M Sport

north face
columbia
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
burningchicken
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Sounds like this is your first time snowboarding. Do you plan on going more in the future? If not then don't waste your money on anything fancy. Layers under a normal winter coat will be fine. Pants wise, a decent pair of snow pants will do the trick. Just make sure everything's waterproof.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Xios135
First Lieutenant
Bouvet Island
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB CLA Edition 1

Garage List
I use Oakley gear..

The Vault has great prices from time to time.

http://oakleyvault.com/
      04-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Definitely dress in layers; do this whenever riding.

If you don't ride often (or ever), there's no need to spend major coin on the latest and greatest. Any decent waterproof jacket/pants will suffice - vents are a nice way to regulate temps. Stick to darker colors (especially pants); had a pair of tan pants years ago that looked great… for half the season, then just looked dirty/dingy.

Brands; Burton, Dakine, Northface, Planet Earth, Volcom, QuickSilver, Special Blend. Not sure down by you, but usually the big box sporting goods stores have blow-outs on last year's gear.
      04-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU
Salomon > all

Yeah we aren't gong till December but I was going to buy gear now thinking it would be on sale during the off season. We are staying for 6 days and yes it is my first time. And like I said, I live in Alabama so this is more of a vacation thing. If Alabama got fresh powder regularly, I would turn it into a hobby but we don't. Haha
      04-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Spec Volcanic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Salomon > all

Where you are going plays a big factor... if it is a dry snow/colder area like the Canadian Rocky's or Colorado... you can save a lot of money by not going as crazy on the waterproofing.

Everyone has brand/Label preferences, but these are mostly styling as almost every company in the snowboarding market place sells multiple Labels.

I would suggest the getting a Light Shell Layer, and a base layer, and using sweater(s) and long sleeve tee shirt(s) you have as a mid layer. This will provide you the most flexibility for weather conditions. If it really warm you can skip the mid layer altogether.

Shell Layer - outer Pants and jacket
in Dry/Cold areas
For the Pants I would look for a rating of 10,000/10,000mm or higher (this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)
For the Jacket I would look for a rating of 7,000/7,000mm or higher(this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)

in Warm/Wet areas (Tahoe)
For the Pants I would look for a rating of 20,000/20,000mm or Gore Tex (this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)
For the Jacket I would look for a rating of 15,000/15,000mm or higher(this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)

(if you were skiing you go with the jacket rating for the pants too as you will be spending less time on your ass)

Base Layer - Performance long underwear like Under Armour, I like the heli Hanson stuff. Get it in which level is for the highest active level (and/or the warmest climate) as this will do the best job wicking sweet from your skin and help keep you dry and warm.
http://www.wcma.ca/new/
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec Volcanic
Quote:
Salomon > all

Where you are going plays a big factor... if it is a dry snow/colder area like the Canadian Rocky's or Colorado... you can save a lot of money by not going as crazy on the waterproofing.

Everyone has brand/Label preferences, but these are mostly styling as almost every company in the snowboarding market place sells multiple Labels.

I would suggest the getting a Light Shell Layer, and a base layer, and using sweater(s) and long sleeve tee shirt(s) you have as a mid layer. This will provide you the most flexibility for weather conditions. If it really warm you can skip the mid layer altogether.

Shell Layer - outer Pants and jacket
in Dry/Cold areas
For the Pants I would look for a rating of 10,000/10,000mm or higher (this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)
For the Jacket I would look for a rating of 7,000/7,000mm or higher(this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)

in Warm/Wet areas (Tahoe)
For the Pants I would look for a rating of 20,000/20,000mm or Gore Tex (this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)
For the Jacket I would look for a rating of 15,000/15,000mm or higher(this rates how waterproof it is and how will it breaths)

(if you were skiing you go with the jacket rating for the pants too as you will be spending less time on your ass)

Base Layer - Performance long underwear like Under Armour, I like the heli Hanson stuff. Get it in which level is for the highest active level (and/or the warmest climate) as this will do the best job wicking sweet from your skin and help keep you dry and warm.
We will be going to Breckenridge Colorado. So would that be more warm and wet?

I was looking at these pants.

http://www.burton.com/mens-bulge-snowboard-pant/276502,default,pd.html?start=&q=Snowboarding%20pan ts

Not sure if these are good or not.
      04-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom3469 View Post
We will be going to Breckenridge Colorado. So would that be more warm and wet?
Around that time in Breck, the climate will be more cold and dry. It is durring March and April when there is heavier wet snow.
      04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Around that time in Breck, the climate will be more cold and dry. It is durring March and April when there is heavier wet snow.
It can be pretty friggin cold at Breck in DEC. Get some warm gear bro. When you get gloves, make sure they are waterproof and warm. Then get 2 pairs of liners to wear under them. Midway though the day change out your liners. Your welcome. haha Your hands are going to sweat and when they do your liners will get wet and cold. The second pair of liners will keep you smiling.

You may want to get some toe warmers as well. Last time i was there in Dec the high the whole week was 18. Yes, 18 was the HIGH for the week.
      04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
I've been snowboarding for years now and have had many different pants/jackets. I use Sessions and Burton gear exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I'm a huge fan of Arc'Teryx gear. Stuff isn't cheap though. My recent jacket was $550, but they have a few close to $800.

Also whatever you do order get it from www.backcountry.com. Their site is amazing. They have 100% guaranteed return policy. I bought a jacket back in 2007, it had a small nick in the gore which wasn't that bad but I also lost some weight and it was too baggy for everyday use. Took it back and gave me a full credit that I used this winter. They asked no questions other than, "what would you like to use your credit on?".
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

Do yourself a favor and skip Breck if you can (personal opinion). I was in CO this past February. Everywhere else had better snow/terrain and this is the standard from what I came to discover. We stayed in Breck, which was fun, but we spent most of our time skiing at Vail and Steamboat. I liked those mountains much better.
      04-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #20
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and skip Breck if you can (personal opinion). I was in CO this past February. Everywhere else had better snow/terrain and this is the standard from what I came to discover. We stayed in Breck, which was fun, but we spent most of our time skiing at Vail and Steamboat. I liked those mountains much better.
I would second this too but Breck is a great place for a beginner. You'll likely be able to use your lift tickets at other mountains as well as breck. You should try them all, that way when you get hooked and come back next winter you'll have an idea of where you want to go!
      04-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #21
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I would second this too but Breck is a great place for a beginner. You'll likely be able to use your lift tickets at other mountains as well as breck. You should try them all, that way when you get hooked and come back next winter you'll have an idea of where you want to go!
I'm going back to Utah or the PNW next year. I just was not impressed with Colorado. It's more ritzy/vacationy than good skiing.
      04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #22
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going back to Utah or the PNW next year. I just was not impressed with Colorado. It's more ritzy/vacationy than good skiing.
I can agree with that as well. I typically go to Keystone or Copper when i have to go early in the season. They are known for having early snow. But more than that, the expense is getting crazy... A pizza that costs $38 in Breck is $14 in Keystone. It's only a matter of time for Keystone and Copper to catch up with Breck who has been getting those crazy prices for years now.

Utah or Whistler is my next winter destination.