E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Going Snowboarding.

04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
khaye1
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 18 AW F80

burton, volcom, dc, ride, sessions, neff.....there's a ton out there, you just gotta figure out what suits you. If it's your first time then definitely get pants that have a higher waterproof rating. I say this because most first timers take breathers every 5 seconds and sit on their arse....................in the middle of the run SMH
      04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #24
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
It can be pretty friggin cold at Breck in DEC. Get some warm gear bro. When you get gloves, make sure they are waterproof and warm. Then get 2 pairs of liners to wear under them. Midway though the day change out your liners. Your welcome. haha Your hands are going to sweat and when they do your liners will get wet and cold. The second pair of liners will keep you smiling.

You may want to get some toe warmers as well. Last time i was there in Dec the high the whole week was 18. Yes, 18 was the HIGH for the week.
That sounds about right, and combined with the wind chill, some days at Breck can be pretty brutal.
      04-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #25
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
Do yourself a favor and skip Breck if you can (personal opinion). I was in CO this past February. Everywhere else had better snow/terrain and this is the standard from what I came to discover. We stayed in Breck, which was fun, but we spent most of our time skiing at Vail and Steamboat. I liked those mountains much better.
Quote:
I would second this too but Breck is a great place for a beginner. You'll likely be able to use your lift tickets at other mountains as well as breck. You should try them all, that way when you get hooked and come back next winter you'll have an idea of where you want to go!
As MPOWER said, Breck is good for a beginner, but it also has its fair share of challenging and fun terrain scattered around if you know where to look for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
I'm going back to Utah or the PNW next year. I just was not impressed with Colorado. It's more ritzy/vacationy than good skiing.
I have yet to ski in Utah, but I certainly don't agree with that statement. Don't get me wrong, there definitely is the ritzy/vacationy side to the various resorts aside from places like A-Basin and Wolf Creek. However, there is plenty of great skiing and terrain to be found at any of the CO resorts. They key is not to be shy of the trees, moguls, and powder. Sticking to groomed runs crowded with tourists is not my idea of fun.
      04-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Oh yeah, O.P., don't forget to drink MASS quantities of water as soon as you touch down in Denver. Keep drinking as much water as you can, stay as low as you can with regards to altitude for as long as you can. i.e. if you can stay in Denver for a day, do it. Don't head to the summit the day you arrive. Altitude sickness is vacation killer and people don't give it enough respect.

The peaks in that region are around 14k. This is another benefit to going somewhere outside of colorado. Most of the peaks in other areas are about the same as the base height in colorado.

In addition to your waterproof gear, get a helmet. It'll keep your head warm and protect it as well. And you won't have to rent a stinky one from the shop!

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 04-04-2013 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER
Oh yeah, O.P., don't forget to drink MASS quantities of water as soon as you touch down in Denver. Keep drinking as much water as you can, stay as low as you can with regards to altitude for as long as you can. i.e. if you can stay in Denver for a day, do it. Don't head to the summit the day you arrive. Altitude sickness is vacation killer and people don't give it enough respect.

The peaks in that region are around 14k. This is another benefit to going somewhere outside of colorado. Most of the peaks in other areas are about the same as the base height in colorado.

In addition to your waterproof gear, get a helmet. It'll keep your head warm and protect it as well. And you won't have to rent a stinky one from the shop!
Thanks for all the great information guys! I will take all the good advice I can get.
      04-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #28
venom3469
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 AW/R 6MT 335i, YZF-R6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaye1
burton, volcom, dc, ride, sessions, neff.....there's a ton out there, you just gotta figure out what suits you. If it's your first time then definitely get pants that have a higher waterproof rating. I say this because most first timers take breathers every 5 seconds and sit on their arse....................in the middle of the run SMH
I'm defiantly going to get a good waterproofing and warmth rating. However, I have done skating, motocross, climbing, wake boarding, and anything that can get your adrenaline pumping. I catch on pretty quick. I know it will be my first time but I'm hoping to be kinda near as good as my stepbrothers by the time we leave. They have done this for a while but I'm determined to be jumping things before I leave. Haha or fail hard. Either way I'll have my Go-Pro, so I can show you the outcome, good or bad.
      04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

This is some very good advice to heed actually. I've frequently seen tourists in the bars around Breck and Vail who think they can drink as much as they usually do when up at altitude before they have acclimated, and it does not end well for them. A helmet also comes in handy at times you may not expect. I can not count how many times when riding a lift, people have put the bar down without telling the rest of us on the chair, resulting in my head getting clocked by said bar.