E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW heads to Nurburgring for DTM Round 7

08-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMW heads to Nurburgring for DTM Round 7

DTM action at home away from home: BMW sets sights on more success at the Nürburgring.

08/11/2014

Munich (DE), 11th August 2014. Two weeks after occupying the top four positions in Spielberg (AT), the BMW DTM teams will compete in the seventh race of the season at the Nürburgring (DE) on 17th August. For BMW Motorsport, the race weekend will be overshadowed by the death of Dieter Lamm. For many decades the twin brother of team principal Charly Lamm celebrated countless successes with BMW Team Schnitzer. The eight BMW M4 DTMs will take to the track sporting black ribbons in the Eifel Mountains.

BMW and the iconic circuit in the Eifel region of Germany have always enjoyed a close relationship: the Bavarian manufacturer has not only celebrated countless victories there, but also puts its production vehicles to the test at the Test Center there.

BMW has won nine times in the DTM at the Nürburgring, most recently when BMW M GmbH celebrated its 40th anniversary during the comeback season in 2012. The man behind the wheel of the first car across the finish line back then was one Bruno Spengler (CA), who will contest his 100th DTM race this weekend. Last year two BMW drivers started from the front row of the grid, in the form of Augusto Farfus (BR) and Marco Wittmann (DE). Farfus finished runner-up to earn a spot on the podium.

This year the BMW drivers arrive at the Nürburgring with the wind in their sails, having won four of the season’s six races so far. However, this success also means they will race at round seven carrying a large amount of performance weight. The maximum ten kilograms of additional weight must be loaded onto the BMW M4 DTMs driven by Wittmann, Farfus and Spengler. The remaining BMWs will also all be heavier than the opposition cars.

BMW has enjoyed an extremely successful season so far, and consequently leads all three competitions in the DTM. Wittmann tops the Drivers’ Championship with 95 points. The BMW Team RMG driver holds a 39-point lead over Mattias Ekström (SE, Audi). Spengler currently lies third with 42 points to his name. BMW Team RMG leads the Team competition with 128 points. In the Manufacturers’ Championship, BMW is currently first with 267 points, followed by Audi (251). Qualifying at the 3.629-kilometre variant of the Nürburgring gets underway at 13:45 on Saturday. The 49-lap race begins at 13:30 on Sunday.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):“For us, the race at the Nürburgring will be overshadowed by the death of Dieter Lamm, who was a member of the BMW Motorsport family. It will be extremely difficult for us to focus solely on the sporting side of things. I would like to take this opportunity to say this on behalf of everyone involved.

On the sporting situation: We have shared a common history with the Nürburgring that stretches back several decades. Nineteen wins at the 24-hour race, the BMW Ring-Taxi and the BMW M Test Center at the foot of the Nürburg: BMW and the Ring are simply a perfect fit. Although the Nürburgring is over 500 kilometres from Munich, our close association with the track means the weekend will feel like a home race – thanks also to the fact that BMW Team RMG has its headquarters not far from the racetrack. The historic quadruple success in Spielberg is in the past. We would obviously like to defend our leads in the Eifel Mountains, but the performance weight our teams must carry on board the cars will play a key role and will definitely make our life much more difficult. Despite this, the layout of the Nürburgring ought really to suit our BMW M4 DTM. We are looking forward to the weekend, and really hope that, despite the surrounding circumstances, Bruno Spengler can taste success on what is a landmark weekend for him.”

Bart Mampaey (Team Principal, BMW Team RBM):
“We had a very good weekend at the Nürburgring last year. Augusto Farfus secured pole position and finished runner-up to claim a spot on the podium on the Sunday. The race was part of the incredible end to his season, which resulted in us finishing second in both the Drivers’ Championship and team competition. We have also seen a clear upwards trend this season since the race in Moscow. We hope we can continue this, despite the high performance weight.”

Ernest Knoors (Team Principal, BMW Team MTEK):“Like last year, we claimed our first podium of the 2014 season in Spielberg. This time we had to wait until the sixth race of the year. We are now hopeful that we have cracked it and can carry on at the Nürburgring where we left off at the Red Bull Ring. Last year we were on the front row of the grid with Marco Wittmann. Unfortunately we then had a rather unlucky race. If we can get everything together this year, I am confident that we can be right up there at the front of the field again.”

Stefan Reinhold (Team Principal, BMW Team RMG):“To compete at our home race in the Eifel Mountains leading both the Drivers’ and Team competitions is a huge motivation for everyone in the team. We have had a very good season so far, but we will not take our foot off the gas for one second. The Nürburgring will present us with some major challenges, particularly given the high performance weight that our cars will have to carry. Despite this, we would obviously like to get a good result for the entire team. That is what we will all be working so hard for this weekend. Racing at the Nürburgring always means a lot to me personally.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 3, BMW Team RBM):
“We had a strong weekend at the Nürburgring last year. I started from pole position and finished runner-up in the race. We have developed nicely so far this season, and have once again got the car to a point where it is competitive. We are definitely heading in the right direction. The Nürburgring is a special circuit, and I always enjoy racing there.”

Joey Hand (car number 4, BMW Team RBM):“The Nürburgring is a famous circuit. It is one of those tracks, on which every driver in the field wants to get a good result – just because it is the Nürburgring. We were showing good pace there last year, but unfortunately our race was over in the very first corner. This time I would like to score some good results as the season enters the finishing straight, preferably starting in the Eifel Mountains.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 9, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“The Nürburgring is a fantastic circuit, and the race there is always one of the highlights of the season for me. The crowds are awesome. The people are really passionate about the DTM. I won there on the anniversary of BMW M in 2012. Last year I did not have such a great race. The key will be to find a good set-up in practice. The BMW Bank M4 DTM is usually really quick on tracks like this. It is hard to believe that this will be my 100th DTM race. It doesn’t feel like it.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 10, BMW Team Schnitzer):
“The Nürburgring is a great circuit, and one of the most iconic we have in Germany. It is still great fun racing there. I have already driven there this year, in the 24-hour race on the Nordschleife. Now I return to the Eifel Mountains with the DTM. The Nürburgring is an institution and it is hard to imagine the calendar without it.”

Timo Glock (car number 17, BMW Team MTEK):
“The Nürburgring is a track, on which I have enjoyed some successful races in the past. I was going well last year too, until I was spun a couple of times. This race is steeped in history. I hope we can pick up plenty of points for BMW again there.”

António Félix da Costa (car number 18, BMW Team MTEK): “I like the Nürburgring. I have always been quick there and have won races in the Eifel Mountains in the past. Therefore, I am looking forward to returning there. I like the layout. We may be racing on the shorter version, but that also offers a nice combination of intermediate and quick corners, which will make life interesting.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 23, BMW Team RMG): “We are all very excited about the Nürburgring. It is the home race for BMW Team RMG – and the season has panned out really well so far for the team, me and Maxime Martin. For this reason, we hope to give Stefan Reinhold and the entire crew a nice gift at the Nürburgring. I have nice memories of last year, when I was next to Augusto Farfus on the front row of the grid.”

Maxime Martin (car number 24, BMW Team RMG): “I know the Nürburgring very well from GT racing. However, GT and the DTM are obviously two completely different species. Because of this, I will have to adapt to the unique requirements of the DTM and, to a certain degree, relearn the circuit. I am looking forward to the challenge – I just love the Nürburgring. Belgium is not too far away, so a few people will come down and cheer me on.”

Statistics ahead of the race at the Nürburgring.

Circuit / Date Nürburgring, 17th August 2014
2013 Pole Time Augusto Farfus (BR), 1:23.296 minutes
2013 Winner Robert Wickens (CA), Mercedes
2013 Fastest Lap Pascal Wehrlein (DE), 1:23.835

DTM standings after 6 of 10 races

Drivers’ Championship.

1 Marco Wittmann (BMW) 95 points
2 Mattias Ekström (Audi) 56 points
3 Bruno Spengler (BMW) 42 points
4 Edoardo Mortara (Audi) 41 points
5 Adrien Tambay (Audi) 36 points
6 Mike Rockenfeller (Audi) 35 points
7 Maxime Martin (BMW) 33 points
8 Christian Vietoris (Mercedes-Benz) 33 points
9 Augusto Farfus (BMW) 33 points
10 Timo Glock (BMW) 33 points
11 Jamie Green (Audi) 28 points
12 Miguel Molina (Audi) 26 points
13 Robert Wickens (Mercedes-Benz) 25 points
14 Martin Tomczyk (BMW) 20 points
15 Timo Scheider (Audi) 19 points
16 Pascal Wehrlein (Mercedes-Benz) 14 points
17 Paul Di Resta (Mercedes-Benz) 12 points
18 Nico Müller (Audi) 10 points
19 Joey Hand (BMW) 7 points
20 António Félix da Costa (BMW) 4 points
21 Gary Paffett (Mercedes-Benz) 4 points

Team Championship.

1. BMW Team RMG (128 points), 2. Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline (82), 3. Audi Sport Team Abt (77), 4. BMW Team Schnitzer (62), 5. Audi Sport Team Phoenix (54), 6. Original-Teile Mercedes AMG (45), 7. BMW Team RBM (40), 8. Audi Sport Team Rosberg (38), 9. BMW Team MTEK (37), 10. EURONICS / FREE MAN'S WORLD Mercedes AMG (29) , 11. gooix Mercedes AMG (14).

Manufacturers’ Championship.
1. BMW (267 points), 2. Audi (251), Mercedes-Benz (88).

The BMW Motorsport Media Team is happy to help you with any individual interview requests. Please send your requests in advance to one of the following contact partners.

Jörg Kottmeier
D-80788 Munich
Telephone: +49 89 38223401
Mobile: +49 170 5666112
E-mail: joerg.kottmeier@bmw.de

Ingo Lehbrink
Telephone: +49 89 38276003
Mobile: +49 176 20340224
E-mail: ingo.lehbrink@bmw.de

Florian Haasper
Telephone: +49 89 452350911
Mobile: +49 177 5637923
E-mail: haasper@bs-plus.de

All Nürburgring winners since 2000
2000 2 x Bernd Schneider (Mercedes-Benz), 2 x Manuel Reuter (Opel)
2001 2 x Laurent Aiello (Abt-Audi)
2002 Uwe Alzen (Mercedes-Benz)
2003 Christijan Albers (Mercedes-Benz), Laurent Aiello (Abt-Audi)
2004 Gary Paffett (Mercedes-Benz)
2005 Mattias Ekström (Audi)
2006 Bruno Spengler (Mercedes-Benz)
2007 Martin Tomczyk (Audi)
2008 Bernd Schneider (Mercedes-Benz)
2009 Martin Tomczyk (Audi)
2010 Bruno Spengler (Mercedes-Benz)
2011 Mattias Ekström (Audi)

2012 Bruno Spengler (BMW)
2013 Robert Wickens (Mercedes-Benz)

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-12-2014 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The Nürburgring has often been good to BMW Motorsport. Will the same be the case at the seventh DTM race weekend of the year?

Can they repeat the 1,2,3,4 of the last race in Spielberg??

This is the weekend's schedule:

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-11-2014 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DTM Safety car in downtown Cologne as a promo for the upcoming race. Listen!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

"I’d never believed that there would be a day offering me the opportunity to drive through the city with a DTM car."

-- Christian Vietoris

But that's Audi. How does that shot look with a M4 and Maxime Martin at the wheel??

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-11-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, I mentioned this in the IMSA thread but all BMWs will sport black bands in honor of Dieter Lamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
If you're wondering about the black bands, those are in memory of Dieter Lamm.

Next weekend at the Nuerburgring, all 8 M4 DTM cars will sport the black ribbons as well

Farewell, Mr. Lamm
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Watch out Audi, Benz and Munich... the Ice Man cometh!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

AUDI QUOTES

Quotes by the officials

Dieter Gass (Head of DTM): “Following the difficult weekend in Austria we can hardly wait to travel to the Nürburgring. We’ve got something to make up for. Our performance in qualifying was a shortcoming at Spielberg. That’s why we are going to intensively prepare in order to work out a better starting base on Saturday for the next race. If we manage to do that we should be in contention for victory at the Nürburgring. Although Mattias’ (Ekström) gap in the standings has become larger we’re going to try and battle for the Championship.”

Hans-Jürgen Abt (Team Director Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline): “The Nürburgring has a special significance for us. As a team, we clinched our first ever DTM victory here and subsequently experienced many other great moments. Our joint aim is to grab as many points as possible from Marco Wittmann in order to put Mattias (Ekström) back into the title race.”

Ernst Moser (Team Director Audi Sport Team Phoenix): “The race at the Nürburgring is one of the highlights on the calendar for us. Our aim, clearly, is to clinch the first victory of the season for Audi in our home race. We still have to do some more homework before the event in order to get everything right on the mark.”

Arno Zensen (Team Director Audi Sport Team Rosberg): “For me personally, this is a home round as well because I was born near the Nürburgring. The whole squad is highly motivated and set on winning the race.”

Facts and quotes by the Audi drivers

Mattias Ekström (36/S), Red Bull Audi RS 5 DTM #7 (Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline)
•-- Has won at the Nürburgring twice in his career
•-- In position two is the best-placed Audi driver in the Championship
“The Nürburgring is one of my personal favorites on the calendar because, ideally, you can combine two great things with each other: a successful weekend in the DTM car on the race track and a few laps in a fast production Audi on the adjacent Nordschleife.”

Jamie Green (32/GB), Hoffmann Group Audi RS 5 DTM #21 (Audi Sport Team Rosberg)
•-- Scored points for the third time this season at Spielberg
•-- Has finished in the top five five times at the Nürburgring
“At Spielberg, I was able to battle for victory and expect to be able to do so again at the Nürburgring. My guys and I are aiming for victory each weekend – and I believe that’s realistic, too.”

Miguel Molina (25/E), Audi Sport Audi RS 5 DTM #8 (Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline)
•-- Missed scoring a point in Austria by merely 0.410 seconds
•-- Lived in the Eifel during his time with Audi Sport Team Phoenix
“The Nürburgring is one of my favorite tracks. The track suits our car, I’m highly motivated and the team is doing a great job – so we’ve got all the ingredients for a successful weekend.”

Edoardo Mortara (27/I), Audi Sport Audi RS 5 DTM #15 (Audi Sport Team Abt)
•-- In position four is the second-best Audi driver in the Championship
•-- Drove the second-fastest lap of all Audi drivers in Austria
“Basically, the track suits me well. But we’ve all had to learn this year that the DTM is more unpredictable than ever before. A lot will depend on achieving an optimal qualifying performance – then everything will be possible.”

Nico Müller (22/CH), Audi Financial Services Audi RS 5 DTM #22 (Audi Sport Team Rosberg)
•-- Is running for the first time in a DTM car at the Nürburgring
•-- Lost ground at Spielberg due to a drive-through penalty
“"The Nürburgring is a cool track. I’m looking forward to it. I’ve gotten past the race at Spielberg and would like to continue my performance from Moscow where I scored points".”

Mike Rockenfeller (30/D), Schaeffler Audi RS 5 DTM #1 (Audi Sport Team Phoenix)
•-- Grew up in Neuwied, just a few kilometers away from the Nürburgring
•-- Drove the fastest race lap at Spielberg
“"After a few difficult races, the Nürburgring would be the perfect place for clinching a good result again. Of course we can’t force anything to happen in the DTM, just because this is the home round for my team and me. We’re going to try everything and have a good chance of being in contention at the very front.”"

Timo Scheider (35/D), AUTO TEST Audi RS 5 DTM #2 (Audi Sport Team Phoenix)
•-- In fifth place, achieved his best result of the season so far at Spielberg
•-- Has started 18 times at the Nürburgring in his career – more than any other driver in the current field
“My greatest wish would be for our string of misfortune to end and for us to pick up exactly where we left off at Spielberg. The home round is very special because my friends and acquaintances will be there to keep their fingers crossed. In addition, this is also the home race of my Audi Sport Team Phoenix and my team-mate. So there are many good reasons to up the ante there.”

Adrien Tambay (23/F), Playboy Audi RS 5 DTM #16 (Audi Sport Team Abt)
•--Has improved to fifth place in the championship
--Made the quickest pit stop of all drivers at Spielberg
“"The Nürburgring is a fantastic venue with a great history in motorsport. That’s another reason why I’m looking forward to the race there. It’s nice to feel the great motivation of the whole team to finally clinch our first victory. Our performance in the race was strong at Spielberg. Now we’re set on upping the ante in qualifying.”"
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #8
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

BMW here and all but...

MEET THE DRIVERS AT NÜRBURGRING.

Mercedes-Benz invites fans to meet the DTM drivers at the Mercedes-Benz hospitality suite. On the Friday afternoon before the sixth race at Nürburgring, Mercedes-Benz will be giving 100 fans (plus one companion each) the opportunity to meet its DTM drivers. Refreshments will be provided.

Mercedes-Benz ‘Fantreff’ Nürburgring 2014
Date and time: 15th August 2014, 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Venue: Mercedes-Benz DTM team hospitality suite in the paddock

Would you like to be there yourself or to arrange it on behalf of a friend or loved one? Send an e-mail with your contact details (name, telephone number, e-mail address, postal address) to media@mercedesmotorsport.com and, with a bit of luck, you could be meeting our drivers in person.

Last date of entry is 12th August 2014. If your name is selected for the Mercedes-Benz "Fantreff", you will receive a confirmation from us on 13th August 2014. Participants are responsible for making their own travel arrangements and for purchasing their own tickets granting access to the paddock.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Did you guys read the letter that Mercedes-Benz wrote to DTM?

Dear Sirs,

Mercedes-Benz is represented at the factory in the DTM since 1988 and has from the very beginning, in agreement with all manufacturers and the DMSB for a fair and clearly regulated motor sport. This sport is always on top. We take part in the DTM very seriously, putting not only material resources, but also passion for it.

More disillusioning were some decisions of the racing line at the last DTM race at Spielberg for us. Until the pit stops a great race was commanded by the driver of the lead group - characterized by courageous and fair duels, as we and the fans want to see it in the DTM. The subsequent decision of the Race Direction to impose a drive-through penalty for "Unsafe Release" against Robert Wickens, not only Robert Wickens and his team to the rewards of their hard work, but all the local fans and the TV sets to a great were brought race.

We are still convinced that the decision was content wrong - even alone against the background of the precise meaning of the term "Unsafe Release": Robert Wickens was "left" after his pit stop on lap 22 from his station, behind him are in accordance with relevant dividend driver was video and photo documentation at this time, not even in the Fast Lane the pit lane. Wickens was certainly not optimal from his pitstop station, but this was unpredictable for the pit crew and can therefore be considered in any case as Unsafe release.

It is in the nature of the DTM that competition takes place in the pit lane. In this context, should, in principle, regardless of whether position battle on the track or pit lane, the same commandments of fairness apply: participants must respect each other and have enough in the fight for positions "survival space". Under Article 23.9 Sporting Regulations are all drivers who are in the pit lane, committed to do everything possible to avoid collisions in the pit lane. In our opinion, this aspect was not taken into account in decision making. The driver, who was behind Robert Wickens, could allow safe insertion into the Fast Lane, especially since both vehicles are previously consecutively retracted tightly in the pitlane.

In the past, a directive was lived beyond that states that the driver who "has the edge" at the level of the next pit stop station direction must give way. This fact argues against a punishment of R. Wickens.

Ultimately, no action was therefore by definition "Unsafe Release". This we had already informed during the investigation of the stewards so. But unfortunately there was a drive-through penalty, but we have committed in the knowledge of the discussion with the race director, as well as our opinion no mistake, had to cancel. We drove quite clearly for the win - this possibility was taken from us.

Parent inconsistency is striking in the decisions of the stewards: the Causa Pascal Wehrleins we considered a much clearer situation of an "Unsafe release" - he was however acquitted during the race and then still punished after the race. At this point the question of the consistency of the decision itself, but also the resulting penalty was made​​. A transfer back three grid positions at the next race does not seem proportionate to a lost victory. There were also in the race a more comparable situation between D. Juncadella and Audi drivers. This was not even investigated and therefore not punished - either during or after the race.

Regardless of the case now present, we believe that the DTM in a more consistent and in particular the accountability approach to potential offenses and their punishments should be applied. When in doubt, decisions must be made in the spirit of the sport and exciting Racings - otherwise we look at the credibility of the race series and their attractiveness at risk as most popular international touring car series in the medium term. The current discussions on various social media platforms show exactly the displeasure of the fans, which we enclose an extract of this letter in the system. "

Toto Wolff und Team
Mercedes-Benz Motorsport

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #10
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Congrats to the Glocks!!

This upcoming stop will be Spengler's 100th DTM race so congrats to him as well
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #12
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Nurburgring article about the points, who can claim the title, how close it is, and Mr. Wittmann

The DTM makes next weekend station on the Nürburgring. The most popular international touring car series is from 15 to 17 August the seventh of ten runs in the Eifel. Before the race at the 3.629 kilometers long short course one thing is clear: This season leads in the battle for the DTM crown probably no way to Marco Wittmann over. After his third win of the season the BMW driver is traveling with a lead of 39 points already on the Nürburgring. But the competition is not located at even after his recent triumph in Spielberg, Austria to recapture lost ground at the Nürburgring. Tickets for the thrilling slugfest of the best touring car drivers and top entertainment center there during the event weekend at all open box offices and info in °. Background information, standings, news and much more at the official site www.dtm.com.

In still 100 points awarded would purely mathematical terms, all pilots in the table a chance on the DTM title. Realistically, however, can be limited to four pilots the circle of contenders. Behind championship leader Marco Wittmann (95 points) lurking Mattias Ekström (Audi) with 39 points behind Bruno Spengler (BMW) is 53 and Audi driver Edoardo Mortara with 54 points behind the leader. But Wittmann not want to think about the championship. "I plan to continue from race to race," said the Fürth. "This has worked well. Of course, we have made ​​a good step towards the championship at the weekend. "Even BMW Motorsport Director Jens Marquardt not want to believe in a preliminary decision. "There are still four tough races, especially at our weight situation. We must not allow zero number. "

The director of operations at Audi DTM, Dieter Gass, the current situation in the championship against it sees something different: "At BMW, a very constant power is delivered, and under normal conditions this is at present very difficult to catch up. We have not shined this year with victories, and that is the minimum that we would deliver. "Even his drivers Mattias Ekström is aware that it is very difficult for him to grab the DTM title yet. "I have to get ten points more per race," calculates the Swede. "Even if I win - if every time he finishes second, he is a master. It is no longer just in my hands. "

Wittmann's RMG team celebrates on the Nürburgring his home race, and of course one wants to show there best foot forward. But it is not necessarily easier for the league leaders. He must invite more kilos of success ballast. "This makes it pretty easy to predict where we are," says Wittmann. "But I still look forward to the Nürburgring. Last year I stood there on Starting rank two together with Augusto Farfus in the front row. "

Exciting racing action in the context of program

The DTM support program offers an attractive mix of formula and touring car racing. For decades, the formula 3 is considered as an ideal springboard to the pinnacle of motor sport: Formula 1 Drivers also fight for the title of 2014 "FIA Formula 3 European Championship". In the event program on the racetrack also the formula cars of the Italian AutoGP series can be seen. The Volkswagen Scirocco R-Cup thrilled with a mix of juniors and racing legends. For racing action with thrilling overtaking maneuvers and position battles pilots make from the Porsche Carrera Cup.

Special exhibition "30 years of DTM"

The DTM is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. If the most popular international touring Wage series makes on the Nürburgring station that fans can expect a special feast for the eyes: In the ring ° werk the history of the DTM is told in a special exhibition. Numerous show cars and information from the past 30 years have seen there. In combination with a valid DTM ticket 2014 (Nürburgring) get traffic ticket to the ring ° werk for € 9,90 (instead of € 16.90) per person (for a single visit at the weekend of the event).
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I love Deutsche Post

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

racer.com
autosport.com

Mercedes adds F1 staff to DTM effort

Mercedes' DTM program has been given a significant staffing boost with the signing of Michael Wilson from the brand's Formula 1 team.

Wilson, who has been working for Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in Brixworth, has made the switch to the DTM program, where he will take on the role of head of race operations.

According to Mercedes DTM boss Wolfgang Schattling, signing Wilson is a significant step in the technical restructuring that has been ongoing since Gerhard Ungar departed the team back in May.

"His role means he's responsible for the engineering and the technical side once we are at the tracks," said Schattling. "This is part of our restructuring process, one of the key personnel. He started to work with us on the first of August, so he is very new."

Wilson is Mercedes' second high-profile technical staff signing, with its F1 team's technical director Bob Bell joining the DTM program during the last round in Moscow in what the manufacturer describes as an "advisory role" with an uncertain future.

"He gives us some hints on what we can improve," said Schattling. "He's had a close look at the structure in Affalterbach (HWA's base), he's had a close look at the processes from a Formula 1 viewpoint, so he's given us some good impulses.

"But how it will work out, we will see. His contract with the Formula 1 team ends at the end of the year, so it's really not sure if he will continue in one or the other or if he will quit."

Schattling did confirm that Mercedes will make more technical staff signings as the year progresses.

"We are discussing this, we are looking for new people. But who, or when or what, we can't say. But definitely something will develop, personnel-wise, and structure-wise."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 09:06 PM   #16
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Ummm.... I'll be right back.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #17
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #18
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Since this is what the kids are calling "Throwback Thursday" or "TBT", let's do it here too

This weekend will be Bruno's 100th race as I mentioned above so let's talk about him.
Obviously this is Bruno, but can anyone tell me what year this is from and - possibly - which race?

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Nürburgring: The beginning of the season’s crucial phase

The Nürburgring is one of the classics on the DTM calendar and provided the motor-racing enthusiasts numerous thrilling and weird races, in the past. This year, the race at the Nürburgring could represent the first hint regarding the question, which of the top drivers will prevail in the battle for the title, this year. There still are four races to be contested but the fight for the title already has evolved into a classic old-vs-young duel. 24-year old Marco Wittmann who is contesting his only second DTM season versus the extremely experienced Mattias Ekström – with his age of 36 years the oldest driver on the grid. Nonetheless, none of the two accepts to be called the favourite. Those who want to witness the battle of the motor-racing aces live on site still can purchase tickets at the box offices. Also live but at home in your living room: the live coverage of DTM’s German TV partner ARD, beginning on Saturday at 13:30hrs CEST (12:30hrs BST) and on Sunday at 13:15hrs CEST.

Wittmann holds a 39-point lead over his toughest rival but due to bad experiences, he opts for keeping a low profile. “Yes, we’ve got a nice lead but there still are four races to be contested,” says the BMW driver. “And in my past, I lost the battle for several other titles in the very last second.” Therefore, Wittmann prefers to think just from race to race. But a win in this weekend’s race would be something special, nevertheless – particularly for his team. After all, RMG is based in Niederzissen, not far from the Nürburgring.

Mattias Ekström
Meanwhile, Ekström already begins to calculate, due to his 39-point deficit. “Theoretically, I have to score 10 points more than him per weekend but the race winner doesn’t score 10 points more than the runner-up,” says the Swede to underline that winning the title without good results of his fellow Audi drivers will be virtually impossible. Even more so as Audi hasn’t secured a single race win in the season to date. “I don’t think a lot about the battle for the title,” adds Ekström. ”It is far more important to achieve the right pace as that’s what we lacked in the past weeks. Should we succeed in doing so, everything will be possible.”

Neither Robert Wickens nor one of his fellow Mercedes-Benz drivers have a chance of winning the 2014 DTM title but the Canadian has fond memories of the Eifel circuit. Last year, he celebrated his maiden DTM win at the Nürburgring. It began to rain right at the start of the race, in 2013 – perfect conditions for Wickens and he made the best possible use of the situation by winning the race. This year, Wickens once again hopes for the unpredictability of the DTM races. “I already had to learn that it may be easy to make it to the very top on one weekend and on the next, you’re out in Q 1.”

And indeed, the changeable Eifel weather conditions have caused numerous surprises on Nürburgring race weekends, in the past. Nonetheless, the tradition-rich circuit is regarded by many as one of the season highlights. After all, BMW-Team RGM isn’t the only DTM competitor that is based in the Eifel. The Audi Team Phoenix headquarters, for instance, are located in Meuspath, with the Nürburgring just around the corner, and its two drivers also grew up in the region. Reigning DTM Champion Mike Rockenfeller was raised in Neuwied, his team-mate, Timo Scheider, in Lahnstein near Koblenz – and Mercedes-Benz driver Christian Vietoris was born in Gönnersdorf. For each of them, racing in the Eifel represents an additional motivation for deliver in particularly good style – and the fans benefit from this situation!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #20
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Since this is what the kids are calling "Throwback Thursday" or "TBT", let's do it here too

This weekend will be Bruno's 100th race as I mentioned above so let's talk about him.
Obviously this is Bruno, but can anyone tell me what year this is from and - possibly - which race?

Fine. I see how it is....no one wants to play along. I'm gonna keep posting for me though
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

They're out practicing today

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #22
954Stealth
Brigadier General