E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > BMW heads to Nurburgring for DTM Round 7

08-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #23
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

"I'm really happy about winning this pole position. It was difficult qualifying but we got the most out of it "
-- Marco Wittmann

Wittmann secures his third pole of the year.

Marco Wittmann produced another flawless display in qualifying ahead of the seventh DTM race of the season at the Nürburgring, landing the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM on pole position.*

The BMW Team RMG driver overcame the disadvantage of carrying the maximum performance weight of ten kilograms to clock a time of 1:22.780 minutes in Q3, 0.145 seconds quicker than Edoardo Mortara (Audi). In doing so, Wittmann secured the fourth pole position of his career and the third of the 2014 season. This also marked the 43rd time in the history of the DTM that a BMW driver had set the fastest time in qualifying.
Because of this, the Nürburgring remains a happy stomping ground for BMW. When the race gets underway tomorrow, it will be the 11th time in the history of the DTM that a BMW driver has started from the front of the grid at this circuit – more than on any other track. BMW drivers have claimed pole every year since the manufacturer returned to the series in 2012. Wittmann’s fastest time also saw him beat the previous lap record, set by Mattias Ekström in 2005, by 0.013 seconds.
In cool and unsettled conditions, there was a gaping gap between Wittmann and the other BMW DTM drivers. The current championship leader was the only driver to progress as far as the third qualifying session. Maxime Martin, Wittmann’s team-mate at BMW Team RMG, was the second-best BMW driver. He will start tomorrow’s race from 12th on the grid in the SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM. Augusto Farfus was 14th in the Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM. Timo Glock (DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM), Bruno Spengler (BMW Bank M4 DTM) and Martin Tomczyk (BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM) followed in 16th, 17th and 18th.

António Félix da Costa (Red Bull BMW M4 DTM) and Joey Hand (Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M4 DTM), who was struggling with an upset stomach, failed to progress beyond the first session of qualifying, which took place while the track was still dry. They start from 19th and 20th on the grid.*

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“We once again witnessed a sensational qualifying from Marco Wittmann. This is his third pole position of the season – and with maximum weight on board. You cannot fail to be impressed by Marco’s performances at the moment. We are obviously not happy with the rest of the results. The conditions were unsettled and difficult, and one or two of our cars could definitely have been further up the grid. We will have to sit down in private and analyse our overall performance.”

Marco Wittmann (car number 23, BMW Team RMG, 1st):
“That really was a very good qualifying – and it went far better than I could ever have expected with ten kilograms of ballast on board. My car was perfect in the second qualifying session, and was also great to drive in Q3. To start from pole here at the Nürburgring, at BMW Team RMG’s home race, is fantastic. The team did a great job and made crucial improvements to the car between free practice and qualifying. The goal for tomorrow has to be to get off to a good start and keep the Audi drivers behind me. If I do that, then a good result is possible. In memory of the late Dieter Lamm, we wanted to give his family a small gift in the form of a good result here. We have done that, and I am now looking forward to tomorrow’s race.”

Maxime Martin (car number 24, BMW Team RMG, 12th):
“Our timing was good in Q1, despite the mixed conditions. We will have to analyse exactly what happened after that. Marco Wittmann showed exactly what was possible here with our car.”

Augusto Farfus (car number 3, BMW Team RBM, 14th):
“That was a crazy day. The constantly fluctuating conditions made it very difficult for us to find the optimal set-up for the car. We don’t appear to have managed that. Marco Wittmann demonstrated the basic strength of the BMW M4 DTM. We will now work hard to ensure that we do better in the race.”

Timo Glock (car number 17, BMW Team MTEK, 16th):
“Today was all about getting your flying lap in at the right time, and ideally as the last driver. That worked well for us in the first session. However, for some reason we were lacking the necessary pace in Q2. We will take a very close look at the data, in order to find out why we lost so much time – particularly compared to Marco Wittmann. I am obviously a bit disappointed, as we were looking good in the morning’s two free practices. We will see what we can achieve from this grid position tomorrow.”

Bruno Spengler (car number 9, BMW Team Schnitzer, 17th):
“We actually had a good first session in mixed conditions. However, we started to have problems when the track started to dry out. Marco Wittmann did a superb job, but things did not work out for us. That can happen sometimes. I will now look ahead to Sunday’s race and will push hard in my 100th start in the DTM.”

Martin Tomczyk (car number 10, BMW Team Schnitzer, 18th):
“Our problems with the car returned as the track dried out. I could not match the lap times of the front-runners in the dry. Marco Wittmann aside, the other BMWs did not fare much better. Hopefully we can improve in the race tomorrow.”

António Félix da Costa (car number 18, BMW Team MTEK, 19th):
“I had another car in front of me on both my last two laps, and could not get past it. That cost me valuable and ultimately crucial time in these difficult conditions. That is very disappointing.”

Joey Hand (car number 4, BMW Team RBM, 20th):
“We just did not get a perfect set-up. Above all, I really struggled with a lot of understeer. Quite honestly, you don’t have a chance in such an evenly-balanced series as the DTM if you have those kind of problems. On top of that, I was not one hundred per cent fit today. Hopefully I’ll be feeling better tomorrow.”

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-16-2014 at 10:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #24
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #25
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #26
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

DIFFICULT SATURDAY FOR FARFUS IN MIXED CONDITIONS AT THE NÜRBURGRING

Augusto Farfus was not too happy with today’s qualifying at Germany’s Nürburgring. He missed progressing through to the third and final session and had to settle for 14th. As a result, he will have to tackle the seventh round of the 2014 DTM season from the middle of the grid in his Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM. Despite being 14th, Augusto was the third best BMW driver. Only points leader Marco Wittmann qualified for Q3, where he secured pole-position. His team-mate Maxime Martin finished 12th, all the other BMW drivers will have to line up behind the driver from Curitiba.

Today, the Nürburgring confirmed its reputation – that you can only predict one thing, that the conditions will be unpredictable! All day the weather kept changing, it went from rain showers with cloudy skies to even some sun. So in qualifying, Augusto and BMW Team RBM faced mixed conditions. Shortly before the session started it had rained again, but the drying track was still damp in places when the drivers headed out. Augusto qualified comfortably in Q1 to go forward to Q2, but after this second session qualifying was over for him.

“It has been a crazy day”, Augusto reported afterwards. “We had mixed conditions from the morning on. It was wet and dry, and that was also the case in qualifying. It was very difficult to find the right balance for the car. Today I think our car was just not in the right spot, and so it was just not quick enough. Marco has shown that the car can be there, he did an awesome job.”

Now Augusto is looking forward to tomorrow’s race, where he and BMW Team RBM will try to get the best out of his Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM. He is clearly setting his sights on finishing in the points, and, if the conditions continue to be as unpredictable as they have been today, anything is possible.

The 49-lap race on the 3.629 kilometre circuit starts tomorrow at 13.30 local time.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #27
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

"P12 in Quali, it was close for Q3, the only satisfaction is to be the second BMW driver. We will try to improve our position during the race ! Congrats to Marco my team mate for his pole position!"
-- Maxime Martin

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #28
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

** A 9th M4 Coupé DTM Safety Car will make its debut at Nurburgring **

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-17-2014 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #29
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Oh, I mentioned this in the IMSA thread but all BMWs will sport black bands in honor of Dieter Lamm

^^that's cool that BMW is doing that. I saw on the news that it was pretty wet today at the 'Ring.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #30
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^that's cool that BMW is doing that. I saw on the news that it was pretty wet today at the 'Ring.
BMW definitely appreciates it's community, it's history, it's pedigree and especially those who have contributed to those 3 things.

Last edited by 954Stealth; 08-17-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

SPOILER.
.Introducing...the winner of the DTM race at the Nürburgring!

Top 3
1. WIT
2. ROC
3. MOR

BMW Results
WIT: 1.
MAR: 7.
TOM: 8.
SPE: 12.
DAC: 13.
HAN: 14.
GLO: 17.
FAR: 19.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wittmann claims fourth win of the season.

Marco Wittmann took full advantage of his pole position at the Nürburgring, producing an outstanding performance over 49 laps to secure his fourth win of the current DTM season.

Wittmann held onto the lead at the start, and gradually pulled away from his rivals over the following laps. After the mandatory pit stop, during which he switched from prime to option tyres, the young German re-joined the race at the head of the field in the Ice-Watch BMW M4 DTM. Wittmann went on to claim the 63rd DTM win for BMW Motorsport and the manufacturer’s 15th since returning to the DTM in 2012. The 24-year-old also clocked the fastest lap time of 1:23.175 minutes en route to presenting BMW Team RMG with its fifth win in the seventh race of the year – and at the team’s home race in the Eifel Mountains.
In the Drivers’ Championship, Wittmann has now pulled 64 points clear of his closest rivals with 120 points to his name. BMW Team RMG has now amassed 159 points, thanks to Wittmann’s win and seventh place for Maxime Martin (SAMSUNG BMW M4 DTM), and now leads the team competition by 67 points. BMW also tops the standings in the Manufacturers’ Championship with 302 points.
As well as the two BMW Team RMG drivers, Martin Tomczyk also finished in the points in the BMW M Performance Parts M4 DTM. Unlike Wittmann and Martin, the BMW Team Schnitzer driver started on option tyres and then worked his way through the field into eighth place in the second half of the race. The same tactic did not quite come off for Bruno Spengler (BMW Bank M4 DTM), António Félix da Costa (Red Bull BMW M4 DTM) and Joey Hand (Crowne Plaza Hotels BMW M4 DTM). They narrowly missed out on a top-ten finish, coming home 12th, 13th and 14th.

Timo Glock fell well down the field after an early collision with Gary Paffett (Mercedes), leaving him no chance of a points finish in the DEUTSCHE POST BMW M4 DTM. He eventually had to settle for 17th. Augusto Farfus (Castrol EDGE BMW M4 DTM) lost valuable ground through a collision with Jamie Green (Audi) and ultimately retired after 36 laps.

Jens Marquardt (BMW Motorsport Director):
“That was another sensational race from Marco Wittmann. He once again produced a flawless display at the wheel of the heaviest car in the field. The fourth pole position of the season yesterday, followed by win number four today: Marco and the BMW M4 DTM are the perfect package at the moment. I am very proud of him. After the disappointing qualifying result on Saturday, a couple of our other drivers also picked up points. We witnessed fantastic, exciting fightbacks from Maxime Martin and Martin Tomczyk. Although it is looking very good for Marco in the Drivers’ Championship, we will remain fully focussed. There are still three races to come, with 75 points up for grabs. In the name of the BMW Motorsport family, I would like to dedicate this victory on this special weekend to Dieter Lamm.”
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The race is going to be broadcast at 6pm (in 20 minutes) on CBS Sports!
Watch it or set your DVR!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
The race is going to be broadcast at 6pm (in 20 minutes) on CBS Sports!
Watch it or set your DVR!
My TV lies...they're playing volleyball not the DTM race
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #35
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

An interview with Marco Wittmann:

At the Nürburgring, he celebrated his fourth win of the 2014 DTM season. In the Drivers’ Championship, the BMW Team RMG driver has now pulled 64 points clear of his closest rivals with three more races to go.

Marco, you lead the Drivers’ Championship with 120 points, 64 points clear of second place. How are you dealing with this situation?
Marco Wittmann: “I am obviously aware that I have a big lead over my closest rivals, so I would be lying if I said I am not thinking about the title. However, I have driven superbly so far by following my tactic of taking things one race at a time. This approach has taken me to four wins so far this season. Therefore, I will stick to my principles. I am now fully focussed on the next race at the Lausitzring. We did not do so well there last season, so we cannot take for granted that we will be up among the front-runners again there.”

You had the maximum performance weight on board your car, but still led superbly from start to finish. How did you do that?
Wittmann: “I did have one worrying moment. I braked too late in the middle of the race and had to take evasive action through the chicane. Apart from that, it was a flawless drive. In my opinion, the additional kilos do not make such a big difference in the race as they do in qualifying. Every thousandth of a second counts in qualifying in the DTM. A few kilos more or less can make all the difference then. Despite the additional weight, my team managed to find the perfect balance for my car this weekend.”

Your victory presented BMW Team RMG with its first home win at the Nürburgring in the DTM. Is that something you are proud of?
Wittmann: “The weekend in the Eifel Mountains was special for my team and me, but also for BMW Motorsport. The loss of Dieter Lamm has deeply affected us all. I dedicate this win to him. The win at the Nürburgring is a dream come true for my guys at BMW Team RMG. I know how much it means to my team principal Stefan Reinhold to have won here. Because of this, I am incredibly proud of this success. We had the perfect weekend, with pole position, first place in the race and the fastest lap.”
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #36
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Got a chance to watch the finish of this race yesterday, great driving and finish!

AA Pulley, Air Filter and Tune - Full Evolve Valvetronic Exhaust - 380/355 Stoptech BBK, BBS FI's and other fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #37
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiE93Vert View Post
Got a chance to watch the finish of this race yesterday, great driving and finish!
Yeah, it was a good race for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #38
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Joey Hand gets post-race penalty for unsafe release

Joey Hand has been given a 30-second post-race penalty by the stewards after the DTM race at Nürburgring. The penalty drops the American from 14th position to 17th.

The BMW Team RBM driver received the penalty for an unsafe release by his pit crew during his stop on lap 25.

The stewards announced that he was under investigation during the race and awarded the 30-second penalty after the race as a substitute for a drive through penalty.

Hand is currently placed 20th in the championship with two points scoring finishes so far this season.

Appreciate 0