E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > frustrating tire changes

View Poll Results: Do you change your own tires?
Yes 30 62.50%
No 17 35.42%
Sometimes/Depends 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

10-31-2022, 10:32 PM   #67
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Not necessarily. Note the highlighted section below for a square set of 18' winter tires. I don't know why it's higher in the rear for the s30i but not the M40i but this is from the owners manual:

Attachment 3021913
Tx, this chart makes me more confused as they state the same psi for staggered sets and different psi for square sets...what the...?

Someone pls help.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #68
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

I've seen a lot of cars and SUV's with split pressures on staggered rim sizes, always more in the rear where they are wider. I found wear was uneven (bad shoulder wear) when I followed their recommended pressures on my last daily driver. I raised it a little in the front to be closer to that of rears and that eliminated the tire wear. That was on a different car, and BMW's have different factory alignment settings from other brands, but pressure can make a big difference. Raising pressure will reduce ride quality some, and may increase noise, and there are some other downsides. It's all trade off's.

But no, staggered front/rear pressures is an OEM thing on some models. I don't follow it perfectly, but I watch pressure and wear carefully and make adjustments myself. I target 1 PSI more in the rear, not the 3 that is in the door jamb. Also, I live we don't have hot summers so I'm not worried about over-pressure when warmed up. Most pressure creep I see while driving is 3 PSI.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 10-31-2022 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 10:53 PM   #69
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Hmm, this is starting to be even more of a debate than the yes/no for anti-seize. I was hoping for a more uniform/objective answer haha.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 11:57 PM   #70
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Hmm, this is starting to be even more of a debate than the yes/no for anti-seize. I was hoping for a more uniform/objective answer haha.
On a car forum?

Come back tomorrow and ask which oil to use.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 02:28 AM   #71
StanDiego
Darth ZEDer
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW Z4 sDrive3.0

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, not likely to get one in a forum. I don't care to debate, just sharing info from the car manufacturer. Feel free to take it or leave it. The car manufacturer has reasons to post those figures for what they consider to be an average driver and likely for their own protection. It's not possible for those figures to be the best for everyone and every situation.

Asking for recommendations on wheel alignment would elicit similar debate. Do you want best performance, most comfortable ride, reduced tramlining, longest tread life, etc.? Even then, you'll have debate.

As for me, I go with the car manufacturer's recommendation until I have a good reason to differ, whether that be from personal experience or reasonable contrary evidence. There's plenty of contrary evidence. Good luck determining what's reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 02:51 AM   #72
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Agree on anti-seize on the rotor hat surface/hub lip where the wheel mounts. Sometimes it’s the only way to remove the wheel after a few seasons.
Against anti-seize on the bolts. You don’t want these backing out.

Also on the camp of “which friction does the rotor need with the wheel” with 5 bolts tightened with 120Nm…

You may find pages 2 and 3 of this thread interesting regarding the role of the bolts and surfaces. There are a few other similar discussions on other places on the Internet.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/....495227/page-2

I’m not saying you are going to destroy your bolts if you lube that surface with anti-seize, but they are not designed to handle bending loads. It’s obvious that the friction of the wheel and hub fit is what transmits the force once clamped and it is important. I am going to guess there is a reason that Porsche explicitly tells you not to lubricate this interface. Probably not a practical issue since the coefficient of friction will still be high enough, but it’s not as ridiculous as it sounds.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-and-its-wheel
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2022, 07:39 AM   #73
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
I think this is right but just in case:
so the door jamb tire pressure label says 36psi front and 42 rear, but that's was for my staggered 225/255 set...now that my winters are a square set, I assume that the psi is the same throughout @36psi? What takes precedence, I always thought it depends on the tire size?
In case anyone hasn't already noticed, BMW (in NA) lists only fully-loaded tire-pressure specs. Older cars showed different pressures for one-driver, more passengers, and full capacity with luggage. No longer. What is presented is only the fully-loaded pressure which usually shows a marked increase in the rear over the front spec. It has nothing to do with what it best, what you prefer, which handles better, etc. Instead it is simply a CYA for legal purposes.
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1605.00
chris7197334.00
      11-01-2022, 08:13 AM   #74
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I personally never had issues with removing bolts, and I do 3 cars twice a year (winter and summer).
I do it by hand with a breaker bar.

If new tires are being fitted i usually take the wheels to the shop with another car.
Reason being is that I like to clean the rotor face, the hub lip, wheel center bore and bolts.

Depending on the condition I would hit it with either a plastic, brass or steel wire brush.
If bolts have any corrosion on threads, I would run the threads through the drill wire brush.

Only place I put antiseize on is the rotor face and hub lip, and I make sure none of it gets onto any threads.

I torque the wheels to 100 ft-lbs with a torque wrench.

Never trust that a tire shop did the torque right. They hire cheap labor, the job sucks, and the guys working there could give a damn about your torque.
Almost all the time when I watch them work, the method of using the torque wrench is wrong. They hit the bolts with the gun and then check with the torque wrench.
If its over torqued (which it is in most cases) the torque wrench is not gonna tell you that, but rather click and in their eyes that is confirms the correct torque.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2022, 08:21 AM   #75
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You may find pages 2 and 3 of this thread interesting regarding the role of the bolts and surfaces. There are a few other similar discussions on other places on the Internet.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/....495227/page-2

I’m not saying you are going to destroy your bolts if you lube that surface with anti-seize, but they are not designed to handle bending loads. It’s obvious that the friction of the wheel and hub fit is what transmits the force once clamped and it is important. I am going to guess there is a reason that Porsche explicitly tells you not to lubricate this interface. Probably not a practical issue since the coefficient of friction will still be high enough, but it’s not as ridiculous as it sounds.

https://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...-and-its-wheel
Good discussions. So most manufacturers will recommend and apply anti-seize on the hub lip, but not on the face. Good stuff. Glad I don’t have any anymore now that I get no real winter, and wheels come off easily. But doesn’t hurt to do that that way.

Better safe than sorry, I won’t apply any to the face anymore thanks for these
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      11-01-2022, 08:26 AM   #76
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
My winters is a square set so all of them are 225.
In theory you'd run 36 psi front and rear. I personally always run an extra psi in the tires that are under the engine, even in an AWD car, as it causes the tire to deform less.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #77
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tx, this chart makes me more confused as they state the same psi for staggered sets and different psi for square sets...what the...?

Someone pls help.
I vote 32 F 33 R unless you’re loading the trunk with bags of concrete and driving fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 11:40 AM   #78
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Interesting on this and in the discussion no one’s mentioned WHEN to check/add air. Cold climate car sitting all night tires will be lower pressure vs when you’ve just gotten back from driving. If you start at warm with 32 chances are early morning way to work here your tires will be around 28ish since in the discussion here it’s related to winter season tires.
It’s always cold. I didn’t think that needed clarification. Usually if people are talking hot like on track they say hot.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 11:53 AM   #79
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanDiego View Post
Yes, not likely to get one in a forum. I don't care to debate, just sharing info from the car manufacturer. Feel free to take it or leave it. The car manufacturer has reasons to post those figures for what they consider to be an average driver and likely for their own protection. It's not possible for those figures to be the best for everyone and every situation.

Asking for recommendations on wheel alignment would elicit similar debate. Do you want best performance, most comfortable ride, reduced tramlining, longest tread life, etc.? Even then, you'll have debate.

As for me, I go with the car manufacturer's recommendation until I have a good reason to differ, whether that be from personal experience or reasonable contrary evidence. There's plenty of contrary evidence. Good luck determining what's reasonable.
Tx, and that's my prb, there is no 'by the book' at least I can't find anything in my manual as it only addressed staggered sets and not square ones.

Since I'm in my winters, I'm not looking to burn up lap times, just want the most safe/effective psi setting(s) for a 225 square set. I'm kinda surprised that there doesn't seem to be any clear consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
In theory you'd run 36 psi front and rear.
That seems to be my logical assumption as well. The winter tires are all the same size, even though I'm obviously RWD. I found it odd most (all?) shops took the door jamb label as gospel and do the F36 and R42 no matter what, even though it is only talking about a staggered set there...now, whether this is expanded to apply to square sets is the crazy controversy, apparently.

Quote:
I vote 32 F 33 R unless you’re loading the trunk with bags of concrete and driving fast.
I dunno, that's really low from what my manual says (but, unfortunately, it only talks about staggered, so F36 and R42).
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 12:15 PM   #80
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
How many of you guys change your own tires and can give me any advice? Maybe sometimes the bolts being stuck is unavoidable?
Remove tire and wheel.

Stick in second car with replacement tire. Take to tire change dealer, etc. Get tire changed. Take tire back home, reinstall.

This was recently reiterated to MYSELF when I had developed trust with one place.

So, I took M5 CS with wheels with 5mm spacer up front, and VERY DISTINCTIVE 5mm longer bolts in the front wheels (the heads are solid and tall).

Mr. TireChanger removed all four wheels and (apparently) put all bolts in giant bucket. After changing tires, returned to car, and put whatever bolt he pulled out first in. All 10 extended bolts were distributed about the car, front and back with no regard for where the spacers were.

Great. Back to the routine above.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      11-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #81
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Remove tire and wheel.

Stick in second car with replacement tire. Take to tire change dealer, etc. Get tire changed. Take tire back home, reinstall.

This was recently reiterated to MYSELF when I had developed trust with one place.

So, I took M5 CS with wheels with 5mm spacer up front, and VERY DISTINCTIVE 5mm longer bolts in the front wheels (the heads are solid and tall).

Mr. TireChanger removed all four wheels and (apparently) put all bolts in giant bucket. After changing tires, returned to car, and put whatever bolt he pulled out first in. All 10 extended bolts were distributed about the car, front and back with no regard for where the spacers were.

Great. Back to the routine above.

Shawn
Yup, ideally that's the case but this is my only car and it can only carry 2 tire at a time. So, for me the best I can do is repeat ad naseum my tq rating to those guys.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1834.00
      11-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #82
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Oh I remember when my e85 was my only car and considered something like this.
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971565

Always stole my wife’s wrangler when needing to pack in tires/wheels so never did it but damn still tempting
My car's surprisingly practical for 2 ppl save for these very specific instances. I don't think that my car even has a tow hook possibility, not that I would want one in any event.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:54 AM   #83
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I agree, but it just feels wrong to grease that surface IMO. People also tend to use too much and it can squeeze out etc.
Agree, people tend to over use the product. There is an argument that misapplying anti-seize to the rotor hat could lead to an uneven surface and prevent the wheel hub face from flatly sitting on the face of the rotor hat.

Most rotors are now treated with a surface finish to prevent rust. If I use anti-seize on my wheels, it's just a small amount on the lip of the hub-centric ring.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Cos270608.50
      11-03-2022, 10:37 AM   #84
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

I've had some chuckles reading this over the last 2 days.. but tranquility: Spend the $20-$40 or so to get yourself a nice breaker bar to undo the overtightened lug nuts. Heck, your car should have come with a factory lug wrench even if it doesn't have a spare tire. Put that on and do the balance and bounce up and down until it pops loose (but breaker bar is definitely better and safer). Sounds like your car is in good shape, I know Montreal uses salt and gravel on the road.. but it still shouldn't gunk up your threads. With that being said.. yes never ever use any lube or anti-seize unless you really do need to clean your bolts. It really will throw off the torque etc because almost always people use too much, and it wasn't designed for that anyways. I have had a stubborn lug or two that the plug in electric can't handle. It is also good to note the actual stats may be inch/lb or nm, which isn't ft/lb. Breakaway and torque are also different. I just sprung for an m12 FUEL a few months ago, and boy is that little bugger powerful, I tested it to 140ft/lb on my bench because I was actually going to buy the 1/2" stubby gun after (that puts out even more power). But for now I'm just going to use this. I have TONS of tools including the old school plug in, and sometimes I still use the breaker bar on friends and family's lug nuts. (or other work I'm doing.. it's an invaluable tool).
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2022, 01:31 PM   #85
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I think this is right but just in case:
so the door jamb tire pressure label says 36psi front and 42 rear, but that's was for my staggered 225/255 set...now that my winters are a square set, I assume that the psi is the same throughout @36psi? What takes precedence, I always thought it depends on the tire size?
Anyway, really surprised there's no consensus about this, I thought it would be like if a guy has mismatched feet, one is size 8 and the other 10, so the logical thing is to buy 2 shoes in sizes 8 and 10, but some ppl are saying, no just get a pair of size 8s or 10s.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:03 PM   #86
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Anyway, really surprised there's no consensus about this, I thought it would be like if a guy has mismatched feet, one is size 8 and the other 10, so the logical thing is to buy 2 shoes in sizes 8 and 10, but some ppl are saying, no just get a pair of size 8s or 10s.
My oldest son has this problem, one foot is a size 10, the other a size 11. We buy him size 11's.

On my cars, I run higher pressure up front to match or nearly match the rears as I've found this increases tread life, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me.

There are trade offs to every decision when it comes to pressures, so that's why you get so many "correct" answers that are also different.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 03:09 PM   #87
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
My oldest son has this problem, one foot is a size 10, the other a size 11. We buy him size 11's.

On my cars, I run higher pressure up front to match or nearly match the rears as I've found this increases tread life, and the tradeoffs are worth it to me.

There are trade offs to every decision when it comes to pressures, so that's why you get so many "correct" answers that are also different.
Ok, but I've rarely experienced any premature wear and stated that my main criterion is safety for my winters. I don't care about tread wear, performance or other factors. So, surely there should be a more narrow range of answers?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #88
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ok, but I've rarely experienced any premature wear and stated that my main criterion is safety for my winters. I don't care about tread wear, performance or other factors. So, surely there should be a more narrow range of answers?
Is safety measured by :not blowing out tires, or slipping from uneven wear from under inflation, or : not slipping in a corner from stiff sidewalls due to over inflation? Your single criteria is not going to yield a single best answer. We aren't being difficult, it just a complex relationship.
Appreciate 0