E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got Called an A-hole This Morning

07-19-2007, 06:44 AM   #23
mike138
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (c)

damn down here (italy) if im not going that fast im the ass hole......(thats the one thing that makes me think of germany ...... driving fast but, i was just at ramstein last month and good god!!!!! the cops are all over)..............come on guys the kid will be fine!! ..... i mean how many airbags do we have in our cars now?? (i know im an ass) .................... hey hows that mall working out for you guys at ramstein ........ha ......

i do hate that enter key
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #24
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker View Post
So I was dropping my kid off this morning
Do I really need to say anything??
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #25
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker View Post
So I was dropping my kid off this morning and as I’m getting ready to leave some guy walks up to my window looking like he wants to talk to me. I roll down my window and he launches into me by saying that if I ever pass him again like I did this morning he is going to call the cops. He said I’ve done it twice on this narrow road, and he is tired of seeing me do 90 mph on it, and that I drive like an asshole.

Now I’m pretty taken back by this whole thing, and pretty much utter a “yeah whatever man” and he again tells me that I drive like an asshole and that people have died on that road and he has my plate number and will turn me in if I pass him again.

So at this point I have had enough and I tell him to do what ever he wants or something along those lines, and he walks away. Not the best of comebacks on my part I’m sad to say. Now I’m sitting here thinking about this whole deal and I’m of two minds.

On the one hand the guy is probably right. It is a narrow twisty road, and I do pass a lot of people on my way to work on it. Many times at a very high rate of speed. Maybe even 90. You are allowed to pass on most of it, but I do drive too fast. I let my impatience get in the way, and my car does give me a sense of overconfidence. However, I do only pass when I can see that the road is clear of oncoming traffic. Since it is narrow; you get fairly close to other cars when you pass them, and I can see how this might scare or piss off people. So in that regard the guy has a good point. I’m driving too aggressively and need to back off and slow down.

On the other hand I’m thinking, who the hell is this guy to get in my face? To walk up to me and talk to me as though he has some moral superiority. Granted the guy is probably some GS type that always feels that way about everyone, but still WTF? Not to mention the guy called me an asshole not once but twice. That is not the way you talk to someone and I do not respond to that well. That only makes me want to pass him going so fast that his car lurches.

Anyway, I’m not sure what the whole point of this thread is. Other than maybe to discover if I truly turned into a dreaded Bimmer asshole…or maybe have been one all along.

Thoughts?

I had a Michigan State cop (friend) tell me its not illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass safely, as long as it's done within limits. It's also a law that when someone is passing you, your suppose to "shoulder" your car to let them pass safely. Even if you are going the speed limit.

Drive in Europe for 1 week, on 2-lane roads you can easily see cars pass with oncomming traffic also "shouldering" their cars as the passing vehicle fits inbetween both cars. It's not an issue or a big deal. People don't car how others drive, they just are more aware drivers and assist those in a hurry.

I would've told that fellow who walked up to you, his agression can be taken as road rage and he will be reported to the local authorities for approaching your car in anger and threatening fashion. It's not illegal to pass and it's your job to assist me in passing, not hog the road and approach people like you own it.

Offcoarse your driving style might be a tad diff than mine, I indicate a pass and nod as I pass!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #26
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

Sounds like you just came back from germany from an overseas tour and still adjusting to the driving in the states. If so............its normal give you a thumbs up for realizing what you are doing is somewhat wrong. It's hard I was the same way years ago when I came back from Italy.......everything seems so slow, you get irritated quick by american driving habits, you tend to be more aggresive since there's a difference in traffic and laws. Always check your speed since you're not overseas anymore. Over time you'll go back to your american way of driving and hopefully you will not get tickets in a short amount of time like I did years ago.......
Happy driving and be safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #27
mike138
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy2 View Post
Sounds like you just came back from germany from an overseas tour and still adjusting to the driving in the states. If so............its normal give you a thumbs up for realizing what you are doing is somewhat wrong. It's hard I was the same way years ago when I came back from Italy.......everything seems so slow, you get irritated quick by american driving habits, you tend to be more aggresive since there's a difference in traffic and laws. Always check your speed since you're not overseas anymore. Over time you'll go back to your american way of driving and hopefully you will not get tickets in a short amount of time like I did years ago.......
Happy driving and be safe.

that is what has me worried ........im crossing the pond in like 5 months .......... im gunna hate it i just know it

i do hate that enter key
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #28
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Actually I'm still in Germany. This was another American that lives here.

Still...slowing down all.
      07-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #29
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
I had a Michigan State cop (friend) tell me its not illegal to exceed the speed limit to pass safely, as long as it's done within limits. It's also a law that when someone is passing you, your suppose to "shoulder" your car to let them pass safely. Even if you are going the speed limit.
Don't try that in MD....speeding to pass someone is speeding and that argument won't hold any weight. I think they went over that like 4 times when I took drivers ed (Only pass if you won't have to exceed the speed limit, otherwise it is illegal, etc...)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #30
makoy2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX, 2011 335is Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike138 View Post
that is what has me worried ........im crossing the pond in like 5 months .......... im gunna hate it i just know it

yeah bro took me almost six months and a few speeding tickets to start being an american driver again it's not worth it. euro driving doesn't fit the american highways, also another factor is euro drivers are much better than our fellow americans ( no offense intended ).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #31
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
In addition to the comments posted, you ought to give some serious consideration to the example you are setting for your child. They watch you like a hawk, starting at a very young age, and will drive accordingly. Don’t think for a minute that you will be able to get them, at 16, to drive more responsibly than they have watched you do for most of those 16 years.
+1000
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #32
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

maybe someone died in his family from irresponsible driving twits?

how much time do you really save from driving at excess speeds on the way to work?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #33
mike138
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoy2 View Post
yeah bro took me almost six months and a few speeding tickets to start being an american driver again it's not worth it. euro driving doesn't fit the american highways, also another factor is euro drivers are much better than our fellow americans ( no offense intended ).
none taken ......... also when they are driving they are not in full "detroit lean" mode effin with the radio and sending text messages while eating a sausage biscuit like most of us ........

i do hate that enter key
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #34
Dave_H
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 Monaco Blue 325i

Just a thought...

Just a though but I'm guessing this guy was also dropping his kid off for school if that's where he confronted you. If I perceive someone to be putting my sons life at risk they should consider themselves very lucky if all they get is a warning.

Consider yourself lucky,
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #35
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I admire the fact that you see your part in this. This could be viewed as a good thing - a wakeup call. I love spirited driving, but it is the exception not the rule.
      07-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #36
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
Just a though but I'm guessing this guy was also dropping his kid off for school if that's where he confronted you. If I perceive someone to be putting my sons life at risk they should consider themselves very lucky if all they get is a warning.

Consider yourself lucky,
No he just followed me and approched my car in anger while I was dropping off my son at day camp. So yes, maybe I should consider myself lucky that he wasn't some sort of crazy.
      07-19-2007, 07:51 AM   #37
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

2 reasons to slow down:

1. the safety of your child and the other people on the road.

2. set an example for your kids. They learn a lot by observing, and they are learning that it's okay to drive fast and potentially dangerously. Don't forget... soon they will be taking your car out on the weekends, and you won't want them speeding and driving recklessly. My dad always drove like an old man when we were in the car with him, but I know he didn't drive like that all the time!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #38
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

First, I am assuming he called you an ahole in german, and I didn't reallize that word translated, or did he call you the german equivalent.

Second, the guy obviously made you think about it, and maybe he just saved your life. Because it sounded like he was more concern about you, others he would have said something about you killing him.

I agree with you that these cars can make you over confident, however, it has been my experience I never worried about my driving or the car I am in, but others around me. You might know what you are doing and the car can handle it, but you can not predict what others will do around you and this is what will cause you problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #39
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

[QUOTE=E92!Dreier;1193130]

Is it wrong to downshift and try to force a passer into oncoming traffic or the woods? Not any more wrong than passing dangerously/recklessly. my .02

QUOTE]

Where did that come from? Doesn't sit right in the middle of a statement preaching the merits of virtuous driving.

Anyway, speed limits do not necessarily determine whats safe - the conditions / car/ driver do that - could be higher or lower than whats posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #40
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92!Dreier View Post
Is it wrong to downshift and try to force a passer into oncoming traffic or the woods? Not any more wrong than passing dangerously/recklessly. my .02
Yes it is wrong. Maybe it's morally right or something since they shouldn't be trying to pass dangerously/recklessly, but in reality all you are doing is increasing the chances you are going to have an accident with the idiot trying to pass dangerously/recklessly.

To the OP, I'm from Europe and have driven a lot on these side roads. Without knowing exactly how you are driving it's impossible to say if you were/are driving recklessly. I've certainly driven down twisty country roads at speeds in excess of 90mph (posted speed limit of 60 mph) and passed people, it all depends on the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:47 AM   #41
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Sounds like you just need to slow down, be more courteous and, more patient. At least you seem to realize that.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:58 AM   #42
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335viaSTi View Post
Stupid question here: Has anyone else ever sped or passed a vehicle while they had children in the car? Chances are people will answer yes to both. While I am not condoning the 90mph passing/driving, I am just saying lighten up on the guy. I don't think anyone is a perfect driver that goes exactly the speed limit, signals every time, etc.

That being said, just drive responsibly.

I love how people can call someone an asshole, etc. and act all high and mighty...lol
+1, But at the same time I have only passed someone once going by them fast. I went maybe 60 and that is becuase I wanted to get by them fast.

So for the most part, slow down. Relax and do it somewhere else on more open roads. Or the Autobahn.
      07-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #43
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucas730 View Post
404: Moral superiority not found.
Sounds like you drive like an asshole and he is sincerely worried for his safety and the safety of all other drivers on the road. Sounds like this is a twisty two-lane road (i.e. you have to drive against traffic to pass people)? If so, then I would definitely say you are an asshole. You are the type of driver that gives BMW drivers a bad name...think you're king of the road, show no respect for other drivers, and act like all other drivers are not people but merely a hindrance on your way to work. Slow down and have some respect.
+1. "Impatience" isn't a justifiable excuse for recklessness. Do your kid, other drivers, and yourself a favor and listen to Voice #1: "Slow the F down. Enjoy the scenery, take the extra time to talk more with your kid and experience the benefits of lower blood pressure."
      07-19-2007, 09:07 AM   #44
forrestpilot
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335I Mblu sprt AT

Don't do 90 in Virginia. Recently changed state laws. Could end up in jail or as a minimum be paying $1000s in fines. Only applies to Va residents. However, alot of military are based in Virginia.
Appreciate 0