E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Got Called an A-hole This Morning

07-19-2007, 01:27 AM   #1
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Question Got Called an A-hole This Morning

So I was dropping my kid off this morning and as I’m getting ready to leave some guy walks up to my window looking like he wants to talk to me. I roll down my window and he launches into me by saying that if I ever pass him again like I did this morning he is going to call the cops. He said I’ve done it twice on this narrow road, and he is tired of seeing me do 90 mph on it, and that I drive like an asshole.

Now I’m pretty taken back by this whole thing, and pretty much utter a “yeah whatever man” and he again tells me that I drive like an asshole and that people have died on that road and he has my plate number and will turn me in if I pass him again.

So at this point I have had enough and I tell him to do what ever he wants or something along those lines, and he walks away. Not the best of comebacks on my part I’m sad to say. Now I’m sitting here thinking about this whole deal and I’m of two minds.

On the one hand the guy is probably right. It is a narrow twisty road, and I do pass a lot of people on my way to work on it. Many times at a very high rate of speed. Maybe even 90. You are allowed to pass on most of it, but I do drive too fast. I let my impatience get in the way, and my car does give me a sense of overconfidence. However, I do only pass when I can see that the road is clear of oncoming traffic. Since it is narrow; you get fairly close to other cars when you pass them, and I can see how this might scare or piss off people. So in that regard the guy has a good point. I’m driving too aggressively and need to back off and slow down.

On the other hand I’m thinking, who the hell is this guy to get in my face? To walk up to me and talk to me as though he has some moral superiority. Granted the guy is probably some GS type that always feels that way about everyone, but still WTF? Not to mention the guy called me an asshole not once but twice. That is not the way you talk to someone and I do not respond to that well. That only makes me want to pass him going so fast that his car lurches.

Anyway, I’m not sure what the whole point of this thread is. Other than maybe to discover if I truly turned into a dreaded Bimmer asshole…or maybe have been one all along.

Thoughts?
      07-19-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in circles

Would you want someone driving as fast as you with your kid on the road?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
BeeEmDubU
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 325i

I'd be pissed too if someone passed me at 90mph and came really close to my car.
      07-19-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

perhaps this is a sign that you should slow down. Just try it and see what happens. Sometimes you get warnings before the main event. It's like the calm before the storm. lol
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:06 AM   #5
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

I would usually say to myself "what a stupid asshole" in reference to any driver being reckless with a kid in the car. 90 miles an hour with a kid in the car is reckless in my opinion. It's good at least that you can see both sides. Pretty ballsy of the guy to tell you this to your face but very likely that he's right and good that you can reflect on that. Slow down. Save your top speed for the track after the kid is safely dropped off!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:07 AM   #6
andhess
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320i - Montego blue

Drive slower man... At least with children in the car.

Just my two cents...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
RetroGamerJP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Do it again tomorrow and let him see that the cops won't do Sh** when he calls and whines to them.

Then after that be safe an mindful of other drivers like everyone else is saying...
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
evoi19
Lieutenant General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80C

you're not passing cars with your kids in the car are you?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #9
wooter
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Interlagos Blue

Never drive fast because of impatience. Drive fast for fun, not to make up lost time. That mindset allows you to slow down where you should.

Also, a BMW is a quite confident car. I notice that with my old Audi Convertible, I get a similar speed sensation at only 75mph. But physics offcourse still apply, and 90 will do more harm than 75, and 75 will do more harm than 55 or 40...

On normal roads, I actually tend to pass slower than when there is no traffic. Buzzing by at 90 while someone else is doing 55 is quite a speed difference, and gives you less room to correct if the 55er does something unexpecting.

Maybe an idea that can help you determine risks, and choose a suitable speed:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadcraft

As for the guy: don't sweat it.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #10
Das M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80 ///M3

Stupid question here: Has anyone else ever sped or passed a vehicle while they had children in the car? Chances are people will answer yes to both. While I am not condoning the 90mph passing/driving, I am just saying lighten up on the guy. I don't think anyone is a perfect driver that goes exactly the speed limit, signals every time, etc.

That being said, just drive responsibly.

I love how people can call someone an asshole, etc. and act all high and mighty...lol
      07-19-2007, 02:30 AM   #11
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

I think you've already come to a decision yourself and want some confirmation. If I were you, I'd probably just try to slow down gradually or maybe you need something else to focus on while driving. How about a carpool with a coworker? I find it a lot easier to drive anywhere when I have someone to talk to. I tend to probably drive a lot slower when i have a passenger.

The guy yelling at you was a bit harsh. Don't worry about it man. I got yelled at for doing 30 coming to a speed bump. (not in the E90 of course)
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #12
croaker
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I appreciate all the feedback. I notice that people are getting fixated on the 90mph though. The guy said I was doing 90, but I don’t think he has a radar gun in his car. I said it was possible, but the more I think about it I don’t think so. There really isn’t room for me to reach that speed in between corners. At the corners I can only do 45 or so since they are pretty sharp and I’m usually behind someone at that point as well. I would believe 70 to 75 though, which on a narrow road can easily look and feel faster.

I’m not arguing the fact that I’m going too fast and need to slow down, but I don’t want you all to think I’m a complete idiot.

Again I appreciate the feedback. I’ll take this as an intervention and endeavor to drive more responsibly.
      07-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it - if you are going to pass someone on the twisties its better to get it done as quick as you can IMO.

The guy probably just has issues about having a small penis.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:28 AM   #14
lkevinl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i 4dr Sport+Premium+Nav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post
The guy probably just has issues about having a small penis.
Small penis or a Volkswagen Beetle..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 03:40 AM   #15
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Tell him to go suck a fat baby's ding ding, frack him jerk....I'd pass his ass the next day and say call the cops, what are they gonna do give you a ticket on his word...................@%#^@#&&#&#*#*#*&#^#^^# jerk.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:16 AM   #16
endy
Jeremy Lin's Cousin
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 ML350BTC, 08 E90 M3

lol, i guess boys will always be boys.

you should slow down.

i drive fast only if i'm by myself.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 04:23 AM   #17
MikeCCrutchfield
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Vert

Garage List
The cops won't write a ticket, but the cops might be laying in waiting one day because of the call since he can give them an approximate time that you drive down the road each day. Happened to my friend's boss's friend (my friend actually saw the tape of this happening).

The guy would always speed down the road way above the limit. One day, someone said "No way you make it down that road that fast" (twisty road, few homes through the woods near Fredrick, MD) So the guy put a camera on his dash and had at it.....unfortunately, the residents on that road had been complaining about fast drivers and lack of enforcement (I think the speeders normally hit the road on the same day, like sunday morning or something) so the cops set up a trap. He came around a corner at 90 and tere was the cop. My friend said the breaking was rather impressive.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Croaker - sounds like you've made a good argument already, and kudos for thinking it through pretty objectively.

Not my place to say, but maybe you should ease up on that road.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:01 AM   #19
Mexikutioner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Well as some one said it was pretty ballsy to tell croaker to his face and thats what i thought, then i read that he is from germany, probably stationed in the military. I to am stationed at ramstein in germany. So most people dont hesitate to tell people to their face because they know chances are that you wont be a meth head and get out and whoop their ass because of the reprocussions you would face from the military, but chances are if he was in the states he wouldnt just go up to a random car and tell someone off because then they might get their ass beat. I too highy doubt you were doing 90 especially back curvy roads because 90 on the autobahn doesnt feel like much, but 60-70 on these back roads feels like 130.
And most people said that the cops wouldnt do anything if someone gave them a license plate number, which is mostly true in the states but im sure the angry driver means hes going to give it to the military police, and knowing how stupid it is here in germany, i wouldnt be surprised if your first seargeant calls you in beacuse that is how stupid the military is. I have been called into my 1st Sgt's office because some moron had nothing better to do than write my license plate number down because I drove through a "do not enter" lane to leave the parking lot on base. One more reason why i didnt reenlist!!!...

oh yeah and you should have punched him in the face, then told you kid why its not cool to be a douche bag....J/K
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:04 AM   #20
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

In addition to the comments posted, you ought to give some serious consideration to the example you are setting for your child. They watch you like a hawk, starting at a very young age, and will drive accordingly. Don’t think for a minute that you will be able to get them, at 16, to drive more responsibly than they have watched you do for most of those 16 years.

I am not saying drive like a Consumer Reports reader, but there is a time and a place for everything. And good discipline and self control are critical behaviors that they will only learn by watching you.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 06:23 AM   #21
elucas730
I'm just here for the turbo
Rep
Drives: 2004 STi, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by croaker View Post
To walk up to me and talk to me as though he has some moral superiority.
404: Moral superiority not found.
Sounds like you drive like an asshole and he is sincerely worried for his safety and the safety of all other drivers on the road. Sounds like this is a twisty two-lane road (i.e. you have to drive against traffic to pass people)? If so, then I would definitely say you are an asshole. You are the type of driver that gives BMW drivers a bad name...think you're king of the road, show no respect for other drivers, and act like all other drivers are not people but merely a hindrance on your way to work. Slow down and have some respect.
      07-19-2007, 06:26 AM   #22
LyriCeZ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 TS 325i

I feel you on the passing part. Its so tempting to do here in Germany since the speed limit is so much higher everywhere except in residential zones. I find I drive 70kph/43.5mphs in 50kph/31mph all the time without really realizing it. Unlike my previous Honda you can't feel the speed in these cars at speeds so slow.

I'm sure you can only drive 60mph max on that road(non-highway/autobahn), just don't get caught doing 90+.. 1 month license suspension and a nice fine.

But like the others are saying, I don't think he would come at you like that if what you were doing appeared safe/reasonable. So slow down before something bad happens or you get a ticket and have to speak with your commander/1st shirt.

2006 E90 325i
- ZPP, ZSP(partial shocks/springs), 162's 18", License Plate PDC, L.U.X 4.
Appreciate 0