E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Subaru BRZ Concept STI - Amazing!!!

07-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #617
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

The above video just shows that 25 five years later the VERY modest FWD Mitsubishi Colt CZT 1.5 16V TURBO (2005 - 2008) with all of the nannies turned ON beats, performance wise, the 'almighty' 80s kings of the road...

Surprised?! You shouldn't... yes, it doesn't have the others power with only 150 hp @ 6000 rpm BUT it had the necessary torque 155 lb-ft (210 Nm) @ 3500 rpm which is higher than the Toyobaru's engine torque, also it weighted 220 lbs or 100 kg less (2304 lbs or 1045 kg).

So, nothing fancy there... just low weight and high torque right from the low end, all that is necessary in a road car, perfomance wise:

ACCELERATION 0-62 MPH (0-100 KPH): 8 s

For a FWD car with only 5 speed manual gear box that's VERY good (a 6-speed gear box would normally mean shorter and closer gear ratios for even better acceleration) and that from just 1.5L multipoint port injection engine.

FUEL CONSUMPTION COMBINED: 34.6 mpg OR 6.8 L/100Km

What I'm asking here is a 1.6L D4-S TURBO 'torquey' boxer engine for the Toyobaru. How difficult is that?!

We already know that with the Toyobaru we have the BEST of the 80s FUN factor but we need to clearly outperform the Mitsubishi Colts of the 21st century... that's what technology is for!!!

Please, please... make it perfect!

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-07-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #618
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

With which one would you feel more connected to the road?!... Obviously, the color isn't a factor.

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #619
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMMM3 View Post
Have to take issue with your sig though:

1. Fernando Alonso 111
2. Mark Webber 91
3. Lewis Hamilton 88

You, being an Australian, deserve a better explanation from me about my sig after today's Mark Webber great victory in the F1 British Grand Prix... so, congratulations!

As for the explanation:

Nico Rosberg ----> The most reliable driver among the quickest ones
Kamui Kobayashi -> The great Late Breaker and the best one-on-one 'dogfighter' (a bit kamikaze sometimes)
Fernando Alonso -> The smartest one of the lot (probably the most complete F1 driver out there)
Lewis Hamilton ---> No particular strength or weakness (he's getting smarter though)
Sebastian Vettel -> No particular strength or weakness either but slightly less talented
Janson Button ---> The mentally weakest among the most recent F1 champions
Mark Webber ----> The mentally weakest among the quickest drivers, needs to be cherished (especially by the team) when under big pressure

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
Anything different from my sig has got to do with different car performances (including reliability issues) and different team strategies... not with the driver.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-08-2012 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #620
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Nice Toyobaru site

+

+

=
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #621
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Quote:
You, being an Australian, deserve a better explanation from me about my sig after today's Mark Webber great victory in the F1 British Grand Prix... so, congratulations!

As for the explanation:

Nico Rosberg ----> The most reliable driver among the quickest ones
Kamui Kobayashi -> The great Late Breaker and the best one-on-one 'dogfighter' (a bit kamikaze sometimes)
Fernando Alonso -> The smartest one of the lot (probably the most complete F1 driver out there)
Lewis Hamilton ---> No particular strength or weakness (he's getting smarter though)
Sebastian Vettel -> No particular strength or weakness either but slightly less talented
Janson Button ---> The mentally weakest among the most recent F1 champions
Mark Webber ----> The mentally weakest among the quickest drivers, needs to be cherished (especially by the team) when under big pressure

Also,
Was a great race on Sunday for sure.

I don't know enough about Nico, but Schumacher seems to be driving better than him in the last few races.

Alonso is the most complete driver, I agree 100%.

Webber is highly under-rated, and is a strong contender for the championship this year. I don't think he's mentally weak, but I agree the team don't always support him. Like two years ago at Silverstone when they took the new wing off his car and gave it to Seb; but he still won.

Kobayashy is strong at overtaking, but again out driven by his team-mate Perez several times this year.

You've also left out both Lotus drivers from your list. Both excellent. Grosjean drove brilliantly to make up so many places on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #622
PowerLex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

Saw the BRZ on the road yesterday for the first time. Looked much smaller in real life than the pictures show. Little wheels, tons of wheel gap.... The car is definitely in the S2000 niche. I think it looked sharp, just not my cup of tea. Would rather pay a little more for a turbo'd STI, even if it meant adding some weight to the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #623
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't know enough about Nico, but Schumacher seems to be driving better than him in the last few races.
You can't say that Kobayashi was out driven by his team-mate Perez several times this year based on the points table and at the same time not notice the huge difference in points between Nico and Schumacher to even mention the latter.

Quote:
Alonso is the most complete driver, I agree 100%.
I said probably the most complete F1 driver out there because I think Nico Rosberg is right there with Alonso (but being more reliable) would Mercedes be at the same level as Ferrari.

Quote:
Webber is highly under-rated, and is a strong contender for the championship this year. I don't think he's mentally weak, but I agree the team don't always support him. Like two years ago at Silverstone when they took the new wing off his car and gave it to Seb; but he still won.
There's no such thing as an under-rated driver in F1 unless there had been no chance to drive for a competitive team in a competitive car which is clearly NOT the case with Webber for some years now.

I'm sorry to say it, but there's several better F1 drivers than Mark out there. He should have been able to beat Vettel and I would be surprised if he did in the end of this season.

Quote:
Kobayashy is strong at overtaking, but again out driven by his team-mate Perez several times this year.
You have to pay better attention to qualifying and Sauber's strategies for each driver in the race.

Quote:
You've also left out both Lotus drivers from your list. Both excellent. Grosjean drove brilliantly to make up so many places on Sunday.
Grosjean is probably the less reliable driver of the lot despite of a VERY competitive package. As for Kimi, he is out driven by Grosjean more times than he should especially in qualifying.

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-10-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #624
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerLex View Post
Saw the BRZ on the road yesterday for the first time. Looked much smaller in real life than the pictures show. Little wheels, tons of wheel gap.... The car is definitely in the S2000 niche. I think it looked sharp, just not my cup of tea. Would rather pay a little more for a turbo'd STI, even if it meant adding some weight to the car.
Hummm...

Toyobaru
Length: 163.78 inches / Width: 69.29 inches / Height: 48.19 inches / Wheelbase: 101.18 inches

S2000
Length: 162.7 inches / Width: 68.9 inches / Height: 50 inches / Wheelbase: 94.5 inches

Comparison to S2000

Comparison to Turbo'd STI
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #625
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You can't say that Kobayashi was out driven by his team-mate Perez several times this year based on the points table and at the same time not notice the huge difference in points between Nico and Schumacher to even mention the latter.

I said probably the most complete F1 driver out there because I think Nico Rosberg is right there with Alonso (but being more reliable) would Mercedes be at the same level as Ferrari.

There's no such thing as an under-rated driver in F1 unless there had been no chance to drive for a competitive team in a competitive car which is clearly NOT the case with Webber for some years now.

I'm sorry to say it, but there's several better F1 drivers than Mark out there. He should have been able to beat Vettel and I would be surprised if he did in the end of this season.

You have to pay better attention to qualifying and Sauber's strategies for each driver in the race.

Grosjean is probably the less reliable driver of the lot despite of a VERY competitive package. As for Kimi, he is out driven by Grosjean more times than he should especially in qualifying.
I knew the Kobayashy v Perez comment would be controversial. I take it back, you're right.

I hope Red Bull keep looking after Mark, especially since he resigned with them for next year - maybe he should have gone to Ferrari next year (but then Red Bull would definitely have sabotaged his season this year).

Maybe we should go with the Top Gear ranking instead:

1 Sebastian Vettel 1:44.0
2 Rubens Barrichello 1:44.3
3 The Stig II 1:44.4 Ben Collins. (Removed from the board during interview with Vettel.)
4 Nigel Mansell 1:44.6
5 Lewis Hamilton 1:44.7 Wet & oily.
6 Jenson Button 1:44.7 Hot.
7 Jenson Button 1:44.9 Falling snow.
8 The Stig I 1:46.0 Perry McCarthy. (Not listed on the board.)
9 Kimi Räikkönen 1:46.1 Very wet.
10 Damon Hill 1:46.3
11 Mark Webber 1:47.1 Very wet.
12 Michael Schumacher DNF Got lost at Hammerhead, and car was not seen again.

They need to invite Nico, Alonso, and Kobayashy on the show so we can settle this.

As for the Toyota 86. Saw one in traffic this morning (pearl white in colour), very nice looking car.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #626
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Subaru BRZ Concept STI Thread

Rating : 5 Stars
Replies : Top 1
Views : Top 10

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:42 AM   #627
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I knew the Kobayashy v Perez comment would be controversial. I take it back, you're right.
Don't take it back just yet... let's wait for the end of the season because Perez is a VERY good driver also.

Quote:
They need to invite Nico, Alonso, and Kobayashy on the show so we can settle this.
It's ok! I don't mind to be proven wrong because then I know I'll be right ... Again, let's wait for the end of the season.

Quote:
As for the Toyota 86. Saw one in traffic this morning (pearl white in colour), very nice looking car.
Looks is not its best attribute... wait until you know how it handles!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #628
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Looks is not its best attribute... wait until you know how it handles!
I just wish they'd make a sedan with the same handling attributes as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #629
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I just thought you guys, 1M owners, would appreciate how the spark plugs look like in my 1M's engine after just 17300 miles (~ 28000 km) - the car is my DD. I had them replaced at my second oil change per BMW's maintenance schedule. You can see that the threads were oil wet or had some oil residue (they all looked more or less the same) and I also found a tiny bit of oil at the bottom of the spark plug wells. As for the tips, they all looked ok:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-12-2012 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #630
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

I'm sorry for the off topic but for those who are not so familiar with these engines you can see that the only way for the oil to get into the spark plug threads (above the tips) is through the cylinder head cover gasket (#6 in the picture):

This is what you see when the cylinder head cover is removed (pictures are from someone else's engine):

From the above pictures you can see both the spark plug and injector wells side by side in the middle of the head (between intake and exhaust valve springs), also where the cylinder head cover gasket goes and how oil can get into those wells if the gasket doesn't seal 100%. I didn't find any cut view of the N54 engine so the following picture of the N55 engine also illustrates where the spark plugs and injectors are mounted in the engine. You can clearly see where the cylinder head cover meets the cylinder head around the spark plug and injector wells area which has to be sealed by the gasket to prevent any oil from the valve train to get inside those wells and mess up the spark plugs:

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-12-2012 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #631
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Back to the Toyobaru...

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #632
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Haha ! BMW is no more the ULTIMATE.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #633
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Alfa’s Roadster Detailed: Info On the 2015 Alfa Romeo Duetto

Quote:
Alfa Romeo and Mazda appear to be growing quite cozy. A contingent of Mazda brass was spotted recently at Fiat’s production facilities in Turin, Italy. This is due, in part, to the fact that Mazda is the only major Japanese manufacturer without a European production facility and Fiat just happens to have some production space that’s not being used. Oh, and did we mention that Alfa is developing a roadster, which we believe will be called Duetto, based on the next-gen Miata (follow the link for a rendering of the Mazda)? That could have something to do with the meeting, too.

Our sources tell us that the next Duetto will be powered by the 1750-cc TBi direct-injected turbo four-cylinder; this engine can produce up to 250 hp. It is long of connecting rod, but very short of stroke—thus, very Alfa. Delivering power to the rear wheels will be a six-speed manual or an available seven-speed dual-clutch automatic with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

(...)

The use of variable-gauge, high-strength steels in a platform that is stronger and more rigid than any previous architecture from either company could result in a curb weight below 2300 pounds.

Toyota and Subaru are you listening?!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #634
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Toyota and Subaru are you listening?!
Having owned a Miata, a CRX and extensively driven a friend's Exige, I can say that light is great, but there's also nearly always a lack of solidity that comes from that lightness. I think the Toyobaru is okay with it's current weight, it just needs more power.

Our 1er is just too heavy to be fun, my M Coupe was about right for DD use, maybe a few hundred pounds too heavy for track use though.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #635
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I'm an Alfista. I'm waiting for the RWD retern of Alfa Romeo. But I doubt the Alfa Duetto will come if VAG will finally buy Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #636
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Our 1er is just too heavy to be fun, my M Coupe was about right for DD use, maybe a few hundred pounds too heavy for track use though.
The 1er M is fun alright... in essence due to its HUGE torque at the rear-wheels and the way it's used in favor of throttle adjustability of the chassis (sideways controllability) along with a quick steering (not the most informative though - another area where the Cayman excels ).

These characteristics can ONLY be enhanced, especially at lower speeds, by the use of the thinner tires (Did I say thinner tires?! Toyobaru anyone?!). In the following videos both 1M's are equipped with BMW's M270 winter wheels and 235/40 R18 tires in the four corners (Advevo's AW 1M also has 20mm spacers for the rear wheels while the VO 1M tested by Autocar does not):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Having owned a Miata, a CRX and extensively driven a friend's Exige, I can say that light is great, but there's also nearly always a lack of solidity that comes from that lightness. I think the Toyobaru is okay with it's current weight, it just needs more power.
The low weight should not be attained at the expense of torsional rigidity and yes, the Toyobaru's weight is quite fine. However, it's NOT so much a question of more power, it's more low to mid-range torque that is needed:

210 hp and 200 lb-ft/271 Nm of torque (with or without overboost function) extracted from a 1.6 D4-S Twin-scroll turbocharged boxer engine;

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 6.5 s
Max. Speed: 245 km/h (152 mph)

Last edited by GoingTooFast; 07-13-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #637
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Again, the importance of tires...

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #638
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep

Lightness vs Torque... can't we have both worlds?! A turbocharged Toyobaru can be the answer...

Appreciate 0