E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Condo Living..lack of garage space!

09-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Condo Living..lack of garage space!

Hi folks,
Just wanted your opinion..

I currently live in a Condo in the City (Toronto)..my wife loves it so much I dont think I will be able to get her to move to a house (we have a lake view...)
While I like it BC it's very convenient for work (traffic is crazy getting out of the city..) I like it too, the problem it presents for me is that with 1 car it's ok as we have one space in the Condo but when I get my ///M and like others here we want a few cars IE I also am planning on buying a muscle car (Mustang..)
Where am I going to store these vehicles?? I am kinda at loss what to do..I am weighing options like
buying a house/cottage in the suburbs but truthfully I think I am too lazy to go back and forth for a 2 hour drive but it's not of the question since I miss the space so much..
renting a storage space in the burbs - so far what I've checked it's costing $300 per month - PRICEY!
buying an extra parking space in the building (at least $30k)
renting an extra space ($150 per month)
gently apply some pressure to buy another house - this will be hard partly BC it was my idea to sell the house and move into the city - that took alot of convincing so it's hard now to get her to agree

Anyone have any ideas??

Comments or ideas appreciated!
      09-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Assuming you don't have kids, would you move out if you have kids?

If there is no chance of moving in the foreseeable future, I say buy an extra parking space. You can sell it when you move.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
hey! i just read this post on p9 forum.

sorry, i have no value to add other than that. lol
      09-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Get out and buy a house with a proper garage where you can keep your cars, tools and cleaning supplies. As a car enthusiast I can't see it any other way. My brother lives on Parliament in Toronto and I can't imagine keeping a nice car underground between other cars parked tightly. Not to mention the amount of dust that accumulates when it sits for more than a week. I say buy a place near a train station and commute that way to downtown. Maybe Oakville ?
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
hey! i just read this post on p9 forum.
sorry, i have no value to add other than that. lol
lol getting varied opinions and havent made up on mind on the 981GTS vs the ///M but that's a different discussion already happening on this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Assuming you don't have kids, would you move out if you have kids?
If there is no chance of moving in the foreseeable future, I say buy an extra parking space. You can sell it when you move.
Nope, dont have kids and not having kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Get out and buy a house with a proper garage where you can keep your cars, tools and cleaning supplies. As a car enthusiast I can't see it any other way. My brother lives on Parliament in Toronto and I can't imagine keeping a nice car underground between other cars parked tightly. Not to mention the amount of dust that accumulates when it sits for more than a week. I say buy a place near a train station and commute that way to downtown. Maybe Oakville ?
LOL that's where I moved from - I was on the border of Burlington and Oakville..

Last edited by SupremePower3335; 09-27-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Fred_Boosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.00]
I would live in a community that has garage. In my place its $60 per month for one car garage. Enough space to store the car and winter tires and car wash stuff.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I'd rent the space for now. Oh and have fun convincing your wife to move back to a house if you just convinced her to move out of one!!!
      09-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Keep the condo for her, buy a house to hide away all the toys you have. That's what I do. It could be a one bedroom house with a garage that fits 6 cars ;-)
      09-28-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
You might try re-aligning your priorities. Then this starts to make a lot of sense:

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
FWIW

I'm in a similar situation as I'm looking to get a new place soon. I've basically written off condo living (and as a result of costs of a house nearby, downtown living) due to lack of a private garage and the inability to walk outside my home and be immediately, well, outside. The things I'm willing to do for my car In my case I'm leaning towards a townhouse in the burbs. All the advantages of a condo (still reduced maintenance needs) with most of the space and convenience of a semi-detached.

I think your situation is difficult because as you mentioned you already convinced your wife to sell a home and move downtown and now she is happy. Have you thought what toll, if any, it might take on your marriage to be going back and forth like this for cars? Its also expensive to move and constantly buy/sell real estate especially in this market, hope you have the finances to support this? You also mentioned a two hour commute...let me tell you commuting in this city SUCKS, especially in the winter. To store extra cars? Not. Worth it. My commute from my suburban townhouse would be 30 minutes and I can work from home on terrible winter days. No way in heck I am commuting 1+ hours in this city to get to work.

Buy that extra spot (you can rent it if you move or no longer need it) or maybe find a cheaper storage arrangement, maybe even someone with extra garage space willing to rent it out to you? I plan on twisting my brother's arm to rent (at a great brotherly rate of course) unused space in his garage. I've also heard of people finding friends with cottages or barns where they can store the cars in the winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
I'd rent the space for now. Oh and have fun convincing your wife to move back to a house if you just convinced her to move out of one!!!
Yep, I recognize my error here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by py0413 View Post
Keep the condo for her, buy a house to hide away all the toys you have. That's what I do. It could be a one bedroom house with a garage that fits 6 cars ;-)
Its been a serious consideration..I miss my man cave and garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
You might try re-aligning your priorities. Then this starts to make a lot of sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
FWIW
I'm in a similar situation as I'm looking to get a new place soon. I've basically written off condo living (and as a result of costs of a house nearby, downtown living) due to lack of a private garage and the inability to walk outside my home and be immediately, well, outside. The things I'm willing to do for my car In my case I'm leaning towards a townhouse in the burbs. All the advantages of a condo (still reduced maintenance needs) with most of the space and convenience of a semi-detached.

I think your situation is difficult because as you mentioned you already convinced your wife to sell a home and move downtown and now she is happy. Have you thought what toll, if any, it might take on your marriage to be going back and forth like this for cars? Its also expensive to move and constantly buy/sell real estate especially in this market, hope you have the finances to support this? You also mentioned a two hour commute...let me tell you commuting in this city SUCKS, especially in the winter. To store extra cars? Not. Worth it. My commute from my suburban townhouse would be 30 minutes and I can work from home on terrible winter days. No way in heck I am commuting 1+ hours in this city to get to work.

Buy that extra spot (you can rent it if you move or no longer need it) or maybe find a cheaper storage arrangement, maybe even someone with extra garage space willing to rent it out to you? I plan on twisting my brother's arm to rent (at a great brotherly rate of course) unused space in his garage. I've also heard of people finding friends with cottages or barns where they can store the cars in the winter.
Sorry for my late reply..Im not getting emails..

No I would never place my marriage in jeopardy for the sake of a car but I do believe in compromise...When we sold our house I did not buy BC I was not sure condo living was for me..we have a direct view of Lake Ontario and on sunny days it is just beautiful, hence the wife likes it so much..Yes driving in the city sucks big time especially with all the closures now..I can walk or transit faster..driving is strictly for the weekend..

Ironically I had the exact same idea you..use my brothers garage(trying to convince him to buy a house with a 3 car garage when he does) or rent someones barn..cant find any ads for that though..

thx guys for your replies!
      10-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335
Hi folks,
Just wanted your opinion..

I currently live in a Condo in the City (Toronto)..my wife loves it so much I dont think I will be able to get her to move to a house (we have a lake view...)
While I like it BC it's very convenient for work (traffic is crazy getting out of the city..) I like it too, the problem it presents for me is that with 1 car it's ok as we have one space in the Condo but when I get my ///M and like others here we want a few cars IE I also am planning on buying a muscle car (Mustang..)
Where am I going to store these vehicles?? I am kinda at loss what to do..I am weighing options like
buying a house/cottage in the suburbs but truthfully I think I am too lazy to go back and forth for a 2 hour drive but it's not of the question since I miss the space so much..
renting a storage space in the burbs - so far what I've checked it's costing $300 per month - PRICEY!
buying an extra parking space in the building (at least $30k)
renting an extra space ($150 per month)
gently apply some pressure to buy another house - this will be hard partly BC it was my idea to sell the house and move into the city - that took alot of convincing so it's hard now to get her to agree

Anyone have any ideas??

Comments or ideas appreciated!
I met a guy last fall during P hpde and he rents a small warehouse with three other guys in the city. They all have condos. they work on cars together and store tools and supplies. This might be your best option if you can find somebody. You can also rent a space in the public storage complex.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
I met a guy last fall during P hpde and he rents a small warehouse with three other guys in the city. They all have condos. they work on cars together and store tools and supplies. This might be your best option if you can find somebody. You can also rent a space in the public storage complex.
thx Smooth...that would be great!