F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Rod Bearing Replacement
ARMA SPEED

03-06-2024, 12:21 AM   #1
Taylorsi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

N20 Rod Bearing Replacement

F30 folks,

I am preparing to replace the timing chain and oil pump drive (FCP euro kit) on my 145K 328i and want to replace the rod bearings while I'm at it. Car is 100% stock and still on original chain/guides according to the service department who maintained the vehicle until I purchased ~139K (BMW Bellevue). Car runs/drives great with no codes in ISTA and no noise from the timing chain/oil pump drive, so both the timing chain work and ideally bearings are for peace of mind and preventative maintenance to keep the car on the road for awhile.

A few basic questions I haven't found the answer to, either online or in ISTA:

Once the oil pump/balance shaft module is removed, can I remove the crank shaft key locking to TDC and rotate the engine to replace rod bearings? (IE will I run into issues if I rotate the engine with the oil pump and balance shaft module removed but the rest of the timing components intact)

Does it matter if I replace the rod bearings before or after replacing the rest of the timing components?

It seems like either might be fine, but perhaps changing the rod bearings before replacing everything else might be easier as the rest of the timing components will all still be in sync. Then proceed with replacing all of the timing components per the process detailed in ISTA/FCPeuro/online.

Any other advice from those who have performed timing chain and rod bearing replacements?

I am mechanically inclined and have all of the time/tools to complete the job, just want to make sure I know what is/isnt possible so I dont back myself into a corner.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0