E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Intel Q6600 or E8400? Any of you guys own one of these chips?

05-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
///M3
///M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Intel Q6600 or E8400? Any of you guys own one of these chips?

I'm getting ready to build my new system but I still can't decide on which chip to use.

My motherboard will be either the Gigabyte DS3L or the ASUS P5E-VM HDMI and I'd like a nice Core 2 to put in it. I've been looking at either the Intel Q6600 or the Intel E8400. One's a quad and the other is a dual-core.

Do any of you guys own either of these chips? I'd like to know what you think about them. How fast do they seem, how well do they over clock for you and was it worth the money? I know Nehalem is coming in August(or so) But the prices will be huge. Plus, current Intel chips are so fast they should be enough for at least 4-5 years in my situation.

I don't game much now because of my current system which isn't able to play the newer games. I use Photoshop and Dreamweaver and wouldn't mind trying some video editing either which is why I thought about the quad. The thing is, most programs today and probably not until next year at the earliest, will take advantage of two cores let alone four! Any thoughts?
      05-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

I've got an E6600 and the bottleneck in my system isn't my processor, it's my 8800GTX. So either way you'll be fine game wise. Encoding all depends if the software can effectively use all 4 cores of the Q6600 or the higher individual core speed of the E8400 will benefit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
For CURRENT softwares and games, E8400 gets higher speed ratings in almost every aspect. Not by much, but noticible.

In my opinion, eventually many softwares and games will be developed based on quad configuration soon. It will be much better in everyway once these developers use all 4 quads. I bought my Q6600(G0 step) because of the research i've done plus there are AWESOME deals out there these days for Q6600. You always gotta look ahead when you buy processors, because its just matter of time(little) until new things start showing up and it spreads fast like an outbreak.

If you check out benchmark testing, you'll be amazed when you see comparison test between programs that uses all four processors. Quad processor KILLS duo. A little obvious but good to see nonetheless. Q6600 was on a losing streak to E8400 until that specific test. The difference was so huge, it made up my mind. Q6600 for near future(and most bang for the buck currently). If speed difference between Q6600 and E8400 for current was minimal, the difference for the near future was HUGE.

If you are my type of guy, who uses the desktop for decent amount of time once you buy it(2yrs) and slowly upgrade here and there, the Q6600 is the way to go. Otherwise, top of the line Core2Duo will treat you better. for now.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:12 AM   #4
E(@M#
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 94' corolla

what would be the point of a dual core with the quad-cores and xenons out there...stick to a quad...especially of youre building one...the dual core is old news
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
///M3
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Excellent, thanks for the advice guys. I'll be ordering my quad core soon.
      05-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
///M3
///M Power
United_States
Rep

Just and update, I now have the Q6600 and DS3L. Getting ready to build this beast any day now! Woo hoo!!!
      06-10-2008, 04:15 AM   #7
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

I've been running the Q6600 for a good 8 months or so on an Asus P5K deluxe, Crucial Ballistix PC8500 memory (I know, DDR3 was just appearing when I built this rig).

I've managed to get it 24/7 prime stable at 3.61 on air. Actually got it to boot at 4.0 lol.

The Q6600 is a great processor, just make sure you get the GO step like lux said.