E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Are you healthy?

07-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #45
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I used to enjoy a Dr. Pepper when I was in my 20s, but I don't drink them anymore. They don't even taste good. I would have a hard time finishing an entire can.

I bought the Tazo Iced Passion ice tea and it's the best.

This would be a good alternative. I'm assuming it's all natural? No man made ingredients?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:28 PM   #46
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
This would be a good alternative. I'm assuming it's all natural? No man made ingredients?
Just looked at the box for you:

hibiscus flowers, natural tropical flavors, citric acid, licorice root, orange peel, cinnamon, rose hips, lemongrass, fruit juice extract (color)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #47
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Anyone here completely given up on soda? I have definitely cut down on soda, but I cannot avoid it completely. It is seriously like a drug.
Not completely, but I avoid it for the most part. I'll enjoy a regular coke every so often (small serving, not a big gulp or anything like that). Ever since I moved down south, sweet tea has been my biggest enemy, but I generally avoid it except maybe one glass on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Wrong! BMI is a pretty damn good indication of overall health. Subcutaneous fat and visceral fat are huge indicators. In other words, your internal organs won't have fat layers on them if you have very little fat under the skin.
Going to have to disagree on this. I just think BMI is horrible, and lots of fitness professionals do too. My BMI shows me as overweight because I am so short, but the skin fold caliper test and water buoyancy test that I took tells me otherwise as far as body fat percentage goes. BMI only uses your weight and your height, it doesn't factor in anything else. Straight from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, BMI can overestimate body fat in muscular people and athletes.

Quote:
It depends on how you define "living". Some people like myself enjoy being really muscular, lean and vascular. It's not a lifestyle for everybody nor is it easy to achieve. It takes a significant amount of diligence, self-control and preparation to build a body like that (..and boy does clean eating make that one dirty meal a week seem better than sex). It's a lifestyle choice, and the people who are into that enjoy that lifestyle. People use the "that's no way to live" and "counting calories blows" type comments/arguments to attempt to mitigate accountability (...I'm speaking generally). They are also usually the people who follow fad workouts and fad diets, and complain when they don't achieve the results they wanted (..again, speaking generally); the same people who believe that crunches and sit-ups are the way to a set of 6-pack abs.
Agreed. For some people it is enjoyable, and I didn't mean to put anyone down. Like you said, it's not for everyone. Perhaps I should have stated that, for me, counting calories sucks and I hate it (just my personal feelings). I shouldn't have said that people that say they like it are full of it, sorry. It stresses me out and in my line of work I don't need something that is relatively irrelevant (to me) in my life causing me more stress. As for me, I eat clean and train hard, without taking it to an extreme, so of course I could improve my physique, but I am good with what I got.

I'm usually the first one to tell people asking for advice that abs are made in the kitchen.
      07-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #48
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

BMI was meant as a statistical measurement to study an entire group or population. As a measurement for individuals it can be grossly misleading.
Even though it's widely used this way, measurement for the individual was not the original intent.

That said, it CAN be used as a gauge in conjunction with other tests and measurement to give an idea of overall health. In this way, BMI is useful.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #49
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
BMI was meant as a statistical measurement to study an entire group or population. As a measurement for individuals it can be grossly misleading.
Even though it's widely used this way, measurement for the individual was not the original intent.

That said, it CAN be used as a gauge in conjunction with other tests and measurement to give an idea of overall health. In this way, BMI is useful.
That's essentially what I meant (..coupled with bioelectrical impedance, hydrostatic testing, etc.). I should have articulated more clearly. Trying to reply to a million posts is time consuming. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #50
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Just looked at the box for you:

hibiscus flowers, natural tropical flavors, citric acid, licorice root, orange peel, cinnamon, rose hips, lemongrass, fruit juice extract (color)
Sounds good to me! (pun intended) I'll check this stuff out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post

Going to have to disagree on this. I just think BMI is horrible, and lots of fitness professionals do too. My BMI shows me as overweight because I am so short, but the skin fold caliper test and water buoyancy test that I took tells me otherwise as far as body fat percentage goes. BMI only uses your weight and your height, it doesn't factor in anything else. Straight from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, BMI can overestimate body fat in muscular people and athletes.

I could be wrong, but I believe they made revisions to the BMI measurements specifically for athletes.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #51
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

31Yrs
6ft
195lbs (<20% body fat)
I dont take any medications, no stress, no worries. I go to gym about 3 days a week.
I just did my first STD test a few months ago, negative of course.
I'm pretty healthy... because each time i ejaculate, a boat load of sperm is spewed!
(when i say a boat load... i mean a boat load!
      07-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #52
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
31Yrs
6ft
195lbs (<20% body fat)
I dont take any medications, no stress, no worries. I go to gym about 3 days a week.
I just did my first STD test a few months ago, negative of course.
I'm pretty healthy... because each time i ejaculate, a boat load of sperm is spewed!
(when i say a boat load... i mean a boat load!
Wait, there's a correlation of volume of sperm in ejaculations and health? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #53
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
BMI is useless and I'll tell you why, from first hand experience:

My BMI, even at my skinniest, is always high. I went to college at a very fit 5'10 180lbs. I graduated college at 245lbs. Needless to say, I had a great time, but I needed to get back into shape before entering the job market. Over the next four months I dropped to 165lbs by running a 5k every day and eating only chicken salad for lunch and a small salad for dinner. According to everyone who knew me, I looked ill (as in sickly) at that weight. My BMI at that time was "normal" but bordering on "overweight".

According to my doctor, who is in the boxing hall of fame as a ringside doctor, my ideal weight is 185-190 based om my frame and muscle mass (I have calves like Popeye). I'm currently at around 210 and not working out at all, aside from sweaty weekends working around the house/property. I could probably ditch the extra 20 pretty quickly but I struggle to find the time/energy to do so.

All that said, BMI states that I'm obese. Even if I drop the 20 that I know I should, I will still be smack in the middle of "overweight", according to the BMI chart.

These are the reasons I think BMI is completely and utterly useless as an indicator of overall health.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:41 PM   #54
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Quote:
Horrible analogy! A minimalist diet is far removed from a diet where an individual is monitoring their micro/macronutrients for the purposes of achieving a certain 'look'. They are not interrelated.
Calm down, I said it reminded me of it, not that I was comparing the two. Just a little way of saying that there are no guarantees.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #55
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Calm down, I said it reminded me of it, not that I was comparing the two. Just a little way of saying that there are no guarantees.
I'm calm. Just because I said it was a horrible analogy or a horrible attempt at drawing a parallel doesn't mean that I'm riled up. Anyway, I suppose that you meant there are no guarantees of a long life. I agree 100%.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #56
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone here completely given up on soda? I have definitely cut down on soda, but I cannot avoid it completely. It is seriously like a drug.

I cut soda out for the most part several years ago. About the only time I'll have it now is in a mixed drink like a Crown and Coke, which is rare for me these days too. My booze consumption has turned mostly to beer and whiskey served neat.
      07-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #57
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Cutting soda out of your diet regularly is worth saving at least 10lbs. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #58
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Im 24
5´11
135lbs
Eat and drink whatever the fuck i want
I dont have to go to a damn gym to work out. I go outside and work.
Most my friends go to the gym and do marathons yet im still in better shape than them

Dont buy into the bullshit gym lifestyle thats so big right now, Just do manual labor or simple work outs. Your body weight is the best weight.

Also dont post pictures of yourself on instagram every day, No one gives a shit
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #59
dtn
Prince of Zamunda
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehwnnc View Post
Im 24
5´11
135lbs
Most my friends go to the gym and do marathons yet im still in better shape than them

Dont buy into the bullshit gym lifestyle thats so big right now, Just do manual labor or simple work outs. Your body weight is the best weight.

Let's see how everything changes when you turn 30

People have gym lifestyles for different reasons. Metabolism changes. Some want to be 180lbs of muscle at 5'11". Some people don't care.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Im 24
5´11
135lbs

This is a funny post. 5'11 @ 135 lbs.???? Yeah, that's equivalent to looking malnourished. For reference I'm 190 lbs. at 5'10, and +/-6% body fat (..My LBM is 175.7 lbs). It's funny that you can tell someone not to buy into a fitness lifestyle with your stats. I'd tell you to post a photo, but I already know more or less what I'm going to see. You're 24! Let's talk when you're 35. BTW, I'm just jabbin' at'cha!

You may be an ectomorph, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are in "good shape". Your friends who run marathons may not necessarily have a nice physique (..majority of the marathon runners don't), but if they can run 26.2 miles at a good pace, they are in pretty damn good shape for that type of bodily stress.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 07-15-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #61
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is a funny post. 5'11 @ 135 lbs.???? Yeah, that's equivalent to looking malnourished. For reference I'm 190 lbs. at 5'10, and +/-6% body fat (..My LBM is 175.7 lbs). It's funny that you can tell someone not to buy into a fitness lifestyle with your stats. I'd tell you to post a photo, but I already know more or less what I'm going to see. You're 24! Let's talk when you're 35. BTW, I'm just jabbin' at'cha!

You may be an ectomorph, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you are in "good shape". Your friends who run marathons may not necessarily have a nice physique (..majority of the marathon runners don't), but if they can run 26.2 miles at a good pace, they are in pretty damn good shape for that type of bodily stress.
Im a skinny bastard always have been. Sure you look great right now but when you get older you will look like shit just like me so
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Im a skinny bastard always have been. Sure you look great right now but when you get older you will look like shit just like me so
I'm 35 and a gym rat for life. Try again! For as long as I can squat heavy, dead lift heavy, power clean heavy, bench heavy.....hell, do anything heavy (..and tailor my caloric intake to an objective), I'll be in excellent shape.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #63
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm 35 and a gym rat for life. Try again!
I said old not damn 35. Gym rat for life, yeah and i will be able to get a hard on when im 70. Shit happends you get old. When you are 65 and so am i we will look the same but i didnt waste years of my life in a gym
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #64
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I said old not damn 35. Gym rat for life, yeah and i will be able to get a hard on when im 70. Shit happends you get old. When you are 65 and so am i we will look the same but i didnt waste years of my life in a gym
What do hard-ons have to do with staying fit? Shit does happen. I totally agree. Barring any physically limiting factors (..or taking a bullet on the job; these assholes in the street can be something else), I will keep fitness a priority.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:10 PM   #65
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What do hard-ons have to do with staying fit? Shit does happen. I totally agree. Barring any physically limiting factors (..or taking a bullet on the job; these assholes in the street can be something else), I will keep fitness a priority.
haha there must be some correlation. Just giving you shit man. If that life makes you happy is all that matters. Just dont post that shit all over the place bc no one cares
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #66
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
haha there must be some correlation. Just giving you shit man. If that life makes you happy is all that matters. Just dont post that shit all over the place bc no one cares
I wear a badge. I'm an asshole by default.

As for posting it....

....the only people who generally follow fitness people are fitness people, so the posting of pictures is relevant to their interests. I don't post photos on forums unless need be. I will, however, post lots of photos of me racing bikes.
Appreciate 0