E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Isle of Man TT 2014 (06/01/2014)

06-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #23
Gle8
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittstock View Post
Actually it’s not my problem, it’s the problem of the family/friends of the dead racers.
You think those families would be happier if their loved one (the rider) were denied the opportunity to do what they love? Prevented from mastering their craft and achieving greatness? Not allowed to pursue their dreams?

I guess it's my Libertarian roots coming out when I say: "how exactly does them racing this course impact you?" Because if it doesn't (and I'm pretty sure it doesn't) then leave it alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #24
PaddyMcGrath
Rollin' Coal
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2006 320D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittstock View Post
I guess I just see it as bordering on the barbaric. And TRUST me, not one single family member would think about it this way if it meant they were going to lose their loved ones.

You see, right there shows me you don't understand. I've seen riders race the day after their brother or uncle have been killed. Their commitment and passion for what they do is absolute. What they do is bigger than who they are. In one lap of the Isle of Mann, they'll live more than you and I do in a lifetime.

It's fine to have an opinion but only when you've taken the time to understand the subject and learn its intricacies. Don't be that outsider who doesn't understand and thus calls for everything to be banned because it frightens them.

As a previous poster put it perfectly, let them race.
      06-05-2014, 01:00 PM   #25
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Speaking of family members, isn't it interesting that Joey Dunlop died doing what he loved, albeit not at the TT. But he was a master of the TT. Here is Joey - his son - this week shining and breaking records.

We all have our sports or our hobbies or passions. We all have desires and dreams to be the best of the best be it at work, on the field, wherever. You'd be lying if you said you didnt want to master your crafts and push the boundaries of the status quo.

And that's just what these guys are doing. They're racing in the most challenging and dangerous road race on the planet. It is a challenge that requires bravery and confidence that you have indeed mastered your craft sufficiently enough. It takes balls. So they come to the Isle to challenge the records and to challenge themselves. And then they return year after year.

Their families know this. I feel they'd be acting selfishly to deny someone a chance to chase their dream. Joey Dunlop knew the risks each year he came back. Michael Dunlop knew what his father's dream was even after his father took the bike ramp to heaven.

Yes it is dangerous, yes it comes with a lot of tragedy but it also comes with victories and dreams fulfilled and challenges accepted, records beat and glories hard fought and won.

You may not agree but let them pursue their dreams if they so chose. Let them race.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #27
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This might be my new wallpaper

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #28
Racer-X / 6'er
Rep
Drives: 2010 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 954Stealth View Post
Speaking of family members, isn't it interesting that Joey Dunlop died doing what he loved, albeit not at the TT. But he was a master of the TT. Here is Joey - his son - this week shining and breaking records.

We all have our sports or our hobbies or passions. We all have desires and dreams to be the best of the best be it at work, on the field, wherever. You'd be lying if you said you didnt want to master your crafts and push the boundaries of the status quo.

And that's just what these guys are doing. They're racing in the most challenging and dangerous road race on the planet. It is a challenge that requires bravery and confidence that you have indeed mastered your craft sufficiently enough. It takes balls. So they come to the Isle to challenge the records and to challenge themselves. And then they return year after year.

Their families know this. I feel they'd be acting selfishly to deny someone a chance to chase their dream. Joey Dunlop knew the risks each year he came back. Michael Dunlop knew what his father's dream was even after his father took the bike ramp to heaven.

Yes it is dangerous, yes it comes with a lot of tragedy but it also comes with victories and dreams fulfilled and challenges accepted, records beat and glories hard fought and won.

You may not agree but let them pursue their dreams if they so chose. Let them race.
+1
With great rewards comes great risk. If it was easy, everybody would do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #29
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:

Not sure if I'm reading that right, but if you're inferring that Michael Dunlop is Joey Dunlop's son, then that's not true. Joey was Michael's uncle. Michael's father was Joey's younger brother, Robert, who was also a motorcycle road racer, and TT rider. Like his brother Joey, Robert also died competing in a road race, practicing for the North West 200. That very race would be won hours later by his son Michael.
      06-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #30
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Not sure if I'm reading that right, but if you're inferring that Michael Dunlop is Joey Dunlop's son, then that's not true. Joey was Michael's uncle. Michael's father was Joey's younger brother, Robert, who was also a motorcycle road racer, and TT rider. Like his brother Joey, Robert also died competing in a road race, practicing for the North West 200. That very race would be won hours later by his son Michael.
You're right I misspoke. They both ran the TT and I've been guilty of mixing them up before. My points still stand though. Father, uncle, siblings, the idea was about family passing
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #31
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
My points still stand though. Father, uncle, siblings, the idea was about family passing
Indeed.

The point that Michael emotionally won the race that his father had died while practicing for reinforces that.