E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 535d in the US ?

08-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
horatiub
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

535d in the US ?

could this be true? I've heard rumors before and I know that the X5 is suppose to get the diesel engine, but I've never heard about the 535d. Or maybe, I missed those articles

535d in the US

Quote:
I know that everyone has been waiting for a BMW diesel engine to be introduced in the USA automotive market and lots of rumors have been flying around on when it will finally be brought here. Here is an official email that BMW sent to one of our forum members:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding diesel models in the US market. We appreciate your interest and enthusiasm for our vehicles. I am happy to confirm that yes, BMW NA plans to offer diesel models in all 50 states beginning in 2008.

In 1998, we demonstrated the superiority of our diesel technology on the racetrack by winning the 24-hours of Nürburgring in a race-tuned 320d Sedan. This grueling test of endurance not only proved the 320d’s ability to run longer between fuel stops, but on a larger scale, demonstrated that performance and fuel efficiency are not mutually exclusive.

Today, we offer a wide variety of diesel engines across our entire model range in Europe. Taking home the prestigious Engine of the Year Award several times, our diesel engines are renowned for their unequaled harmony of dynamic performance, innovative technology, surprisingly low fuel consumption, along with a smoothness that is uncommon for a Diesel. The pinnacle of BMW diesel technology to date is the 3.0-liter variable twin-turbo inline six-cylinder introduced recently in the 335d and 535d. With 286-hp and 427 lb-ft of torque, the 535d accelerates to 60 mph in less than 6.5 seconds, while delivering an average of 37 mpg on the highway.

Clearly, this level of technology is predestined for the U.S. market not only in terms of power and efficiency, but for its potential to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. In fact, this enhanced concept for minimum exhaust gas emissions has been developed to meet the strict emissions standards in effect in California and other states. With its carbon emissions down 10% - 20% from comparable gasoline vehicles, and near-elimination of both smoke and NOx emissions, BMW Advanced Diesels will be every bit as clean as CARB-legal gasoline engines when they are introduced in the US in 2008.

As a means of producing so much power with a minimum of environmental impact and a maximum of fuel efficiency, it is no surprise that BMW will be among the first to introduce 50-state clean diesel technology. After all, it often takes an independent company like ours to bring an idea like this to the public. I have attached a copy of a BMW Group press release dated November 28, 2006 to this e-mail. It contains the preliminary details of our plan. For the most up-to-date information, I recommend regular visits to our dynamic website www.bmwusa.com; when you visit, be sure to sign up for diesel e-mail updates.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

yea, i heard rumors in the past that bmwna will be offering diesel models starting in 2008. the email you posted seems to confirm it.
      08-01-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

They're part of the Blutec alliance, so I assume they are coming in 2010. I'm thinking they'll have the X series first.
Appreciate 0