E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > To buy American or not?

07-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

To buy American or not?

This is going to be brief:

Doing a lot of reading lately on the GM and Ford boards and it seems like you have a lot of Americans that believe buying an American car means you support your country. Does it really matter?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

If it is actually built here in the states, a lot of the parts are not. I also don't believe in supporting sub-par products just because it is made here. We need to send the message to American car manufacturers that we want a quality product for a fair price. Look at Toyota, they build a great product but keep the price fair.

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
fadec
Rep
Drives:

Hi
This is the dilema faced by all no matter where we live .should I buy A,B or C to support my own countries employment? I can say I hav'nt got an answer to this except to say that in this world of global capitalisation the companies seem to be always switching to the cheapest source of materials/production, no matter how good is the quality or production rate back home.so by all means support your local manufacturers but don't be surprized by closures no matter how hard the workers have worked, it's the world we all live in now and it's a changed one from even 10 years ago.

So after all that ,If you want something ,and it's gona do the job buy it, use it, then throw it away :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Until an American car company produces a car that I want to buy, Ford, GM, etc arent getting my business. They are getting close with some new models that are coming out though. Come to think of it, Ford does make a car that I want to buy... the Mondeo... but do they bother to sell it here?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

I hate to sound like a jerk, but Ford and GM are lucky to have sheep willing to buy their products without shopping other brands (even eachother!!!) Those are the same people who would say I don't support our troops because I don't agree with our foreign policy. I live in America so I can form my own opinions about things.... that's what makes us better.

/rant
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
PACIFICONE2003
Private
Rep
Drives:

I lived in Detroit for about 10 years....now in Bay City, MI. Very Blue Collar.....and very loyal to American products. However, I make my decisions on quality, design, price and MPG. I drive a BMW my Wife drives a Toyota. Do I need to say anymore?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

To be honest, I really wish there were cars by American corporations that meet my standards. Since there aren't, I shop elsewhere. It's pretty sad, actually. Even Daimler just spit out the bad seed sucking their wallet dry.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts guys.

Now I'll give my spill on the matter(w/ out getting political). First off, I know that when push comes to shove I'll always support my country. However, as many of you have mentioned, the domestics have skimped on quality for years, making sub-par vehicles and getting away with it, on various counts in various ways. Fast forward to more recent times(last ten years) and vast improvements have been made to the quality of domestic vehicles, though some, to varying degrees have a longer way to go than do others. I think if anyone has started to take quality and reliability more seriously as of late it most certainly has been GM(Ford is working hard and the Chrysler group is just now starting to make decent products), have you seen the new Enclave? That car looks just as good as an E70 X5, inside and out, and I truly do believe that it more than deserves to succeed. Of course consumers will provide the answer to that. Things have been shaky in the past, but I truly believe the Big 3 are starting to "get it", and I'd most certainly purchase any worthy product under an American brand name, and they're out there. Quality and reliability from all make is so incredibly close these days it almost comes off trite.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

stash a few now; fords will soon be collectibles.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Ford should have brought over the Euro versions of the Mondeo and Focus (and their performance versions) years ago. Instead we get models that cost tons to develop, since they are different models as sold overseas.

The Focus is a different car than the old US version, and is actually a LOT better. The Mondeo is getting darned close to Audi A6 in quality. We'll never see those ins the States. Instead, they try to give us the 500/Taurus crap.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Focus ST:

Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
Madjack
Private
Rep
Drives:

That is one of the things that chaps me about US auto makers. They make these awesome models for overseas, but give us these detuned pos's. The Focus here is rediculous. I would buy the Euro spec version because it is freakin awesome.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

Forget about supporting the so called "US manufactures" who import the majority of their car parts, and build there cars in Canada, Mexico, Japan, or just about anywhere else besides the US.

Buy a 123d and run it on 100% American Made B100 biodiesel!

Buy American Energy, down with OPEC.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:45 AM   #14
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Buy American Energy, down with OPEC.
This coming from Nixon? Haha. I'm just pulling your leg Nixon. No way did I mean to offend you or anything. I just couldn't resist.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #15
Tijuana
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Focus ST:

Mondeo
I can't understand why they won't bring these models to the US. They're too busy trying to protect their image to realize their image is not doing them any favors.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
strtfghtr
Rep
Drives:

Whenever anyone points to buying a domestic they talk about how Ford has upped their game with some of their new cars (Ford Fusion comes to mind) The Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan, and Lincoln Zepher are all based on the Mazda 6...the Mazda 6 is built in Detroit and the "domestics" are built in Mexico...

I'm not saying this makes a difference in quality but buying the American brand gets you a Japanese designed car built in Mexico
      07-19-2007, 05:41 PM   #17
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by strtfghtr View Post
I'm not saying this makes a difference in quality but buying the American brand gets you a Japanese designed car built in Mexico
NAFTA rules, huh?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #18
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
My biggest issue with the US brands are the cheap plastic interiors :mad:

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #19
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
Of course consumers will provide the answer to that. Things have been shaky in the past, but I truly believe the Big 3 are starting to "get it",
Shaky in the "past"...?
A friend of mine is a supplier to many of the dealers in the New England region. All he keeps hearing and SEEING are the big three dealerships consolidating.

So yes, the big three are just now "getting it".
      07-28-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Chris Ruck
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsch View Post
This is going to be brief:

Doing a lot of reading lately on the GM and Ford boards and it seems like you have a lot of Americans that believe buying an American car means you support your country. Does it really matter?
Buying AMERICAN, hmm. All the car's i've owned thus far have been imports except for one, an '05 C6 Corvette. I did not by that car because it was "american". I bought it because it was a lot of FUN, looked great, handled and drove awesomely and a bargain for all that it had to offer at the price.

I purchase cars that I as a car enthusiast will truly enjoy - PERIOD!

Now buying american. Hmm, what about buying an M Class Mercedes Benz(built in america), a BMW Z4(built in america) but both are German cars. Not to mention other import cars built here in america, but I still consider them imports, only built here.

If and when american car companies start offering us the fun automobiles we desire, we will buy them. In my opinion most american cars available are bland/boring and not fun to drive. Not to mention MOST OF THEM ARE FREAKIN FRONT WHEEL DRIVE! What the hell?! I as a car enthusiast prefer/demand a rear wheel drive car with a nice amount of power and the ability to handle the road well. Yeah and it has to look good inside and out, a nice fit and finish. Oh yeah it would also be nice for the car to have some value in it when i'm ready to part with it.

NOW offer us AMERICANS some of the "American Cars" - STRIKE THAT! I meant to say "FUN AMERICAN CARS" that are offered in other parts of the world and we will buy more and more american cars.

CHECK THESE CARS OUT(click) and explain to me why these HOTT cars are not offered here. And i'll assure you that if these cars were offered here, they would sell like hotcakes. I'd buy one! Or check out Holden's website. Heck even the european version of the Focus and Fiesta are nice cars and would do well here and seriously be able to compete with or best their import counterparts.

Yeah we will be getting the American version of the Austrailian Holden Commodore as the Pontiac G8. That car will sell well here in America. It's fun, available with a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, it has power, and great build quality and materials. Voila, that's what we want. F.Y.I. The new 2009 Chevrolet Impala S.S. will be rear wheel drive and it looks great. I'll have to find the spy pics an post'em. But in my opinion it looks similar to the G8, but the Impala looks better. It looks so good, i'd drive one.

BUYING AMERICAN is just that. I'm an American BUYING WHAT I WANT!

NOW THIS IS AN AMERICAN CAR I WOULD BUY!(if it were sold here)

That's an awesome american car! I think it's hott.

Sorry for the rambling, but I had to add my 2 cents. When American car companines offer us what we desire, we will buy the heck out of 'em. The new Camaro will sell more than well.

-Chris:wink:

"DO THE RIGHT THING, IT WILL GRATIFY SOME PEOPLE AND ASTONISH THE REST!"
Appreciate 0