E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > What will you drive when gas reaches $9.50 per gallon?

05-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #89
calleballe
ExPAt
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
no really this thread sounds like alot of people are so concerned with gas prices that they are living paycheck to paycheck? bell curve 10-12K a year;16mpg (lets be real its a turbo). 750 gallons * 9.50 = 7125/year. how much is parking in new york city again?

so at 4.25 (current) the delta would be 3562.5~ . That would be $300/month. i seriously hope that not everyone of this forum is living so close to the edge that 300/month would push them into financial ruin.

Might have to cut back on the blow but for real this time.
Agree, I don't mind - I drive around 20k a year so delta would be a bit higher. Still, once prices comes up, I want to balance that out by a car that consumes less and less. (and I don't want to contribute anymore to use of fossil fuels)

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #90
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Gas in Saudi Arabia is like 50 cents a gallon, i highly doubt they are running out of oil...
its subsidized--i think. its not because they're running out of oil.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #91
MBChariot
HESSEN///M3
Panama
Rep
Drives: TIag E46 ///M3

I paid it when I was living in Europe, I think I will be okay.

"A6 direction Saarbrücken"
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #92
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBChariot View Post
I paid it when I was living in Europe, I think I will be okay.
Contractor or Military?
      05-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #93
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

i'll be driving my 335i with optional gas siphon attachment in the trunk. need to make sure to park next to cars with the gas tank on the drivers side
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:29 PM   #94
calleballe
ExPAt
Rep
Drives: E90

No-one interested in i.e. the 325d? (200Bph and 300lb-ft from 1,350 to 3,200 RPM...and it gives a nice 28 MPG city 40 MPG Highway). Several friends in Europe drives this, and it is absolutely fantastic. (Feels as powerful as the 335i, even though it has 100 ponies less)

Current cars
BMW 328i (to become sth else)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:39 PM   #95
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
i'll be driving my 335i with optional gas siphon attachment in the trunk. need to make sure to park next to cars with the gas tank on the drivers side
Funny, I'm opting for driving my 335i with optional ATM attachment. Citibank brand, naturally.
      05-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #96
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Nuclear power + electric cars?
+1, as much as you hate it, the future right here.....
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #97
Exacc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 325i

Garage List
2004 E46 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrDlux View Post
no really this thread sounds like alot of people are so concerned with gas prices that they are living paycheck to paycheck? bell curve 10-12K a year;16mpg (lets be real its a turbo). 750 gallons * 9.50 = 7125/year. how much is parking in new york city again?

so at 4.25 (current) the delta would be 3562.5~ . That would be $300/month. i seriously hope that not everyone of this forum is living so close to the edge that 300/month would push them into financial ruin.

Might have to cut back on the blow but for real this time.

Point well taken, and if we do look at the cost of gas alone, it is not the major cost in car ownership. However, I think the reason it seems larger than it is, is because a) it is growing at an alarmingly fast rate and b) gas (a part of energy cost as a whole) prices are an indicator of inflation costs....

Crude oil is almost the basic necessity of everything we do (and is the source of energy)...a rise in crude prices will see a domino effect on all items we are used to...in the Philippines where I live, the government has already abolished all import tax on petroleum products to curve the effects of rising gas/energy prices.
      05-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #98
StarrDlux
Pussycat's Meow
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i montego | Stock

Yeah it really affects the poor which is sad. And they (or we) get affected but seriously now. when i was 10 doing a solar science fair (yuck) project did you not really have an inkling that we were going to run of out fuel(s).

Did none of ya'll guys watch Captain Planet?

- Token gestures, some semblance of intelligence. Can we be blamed for the security of ignorance
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:01 AM   #99
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblk328i View Post
lol 9.50 a gallon...by 7 bucks a gallon ill already be riding a bike to work and what not.
man, it was like 2 years ago that i went to a local gas station here and it was $4.99 per gallon for 100 octane racing fuel. now, it's gonna be 7 bucks a gallon for regular gas? wtf?
2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #100
yoyeewee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M6 coupe

Garage List
if gas reaches 10 bucks a gallon, i wouldn't mind driving this...
Attached Images

2008 335i coupe Atlantic Blue with Black Leather Steptronic ZSP ZPP NAV PDC COMFORT ACCESS REAR SUNSHADE HEATED SEATS HD RADIO SIRIUS USB/IPOD 20" Klassen K5.1 3-piece wheels w/Toyo Tires Job Design Body Kit M3 Trunk Spoiler Eisenmann Exhaust Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:14 AM   #101
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
This will hopefully happen soon. An american president, /republican or democrat, will visit Saudi Arabia and sit all the Lambo driving princes' down in one meeting. Let them know that lowering the price of the barrel is NOT an option. If not, we will withdraw all support, including military, and they will be taken over by Iran, or any other military power in that region that is interested. They will also be reminded of how if it weren't for the US, they would be Saddam's bitches. If this doesn't give us 2 dollar a gallon gas again, we will just allow that region to become the dust storm that is deserves to be. Americans will drive vehicles powered by some kind of alternative source. I can't wait til an american president grows some balls.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #102
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
hahahaha at least they have free health care.
How good is free , when you have to wait for months/years to get proper coverage ?
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:49 AM   #103
mmm def
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 330, 19 ND2 RF, 11 RX350

i will get rid of my 335 for a Mini Cooper S.

Oh wait, I already am.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #104
matt.love84
xXx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90.

I'll go back to riding my Italian Queen..

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #105
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Damn expensive bike there.

I recently started looking around at bikes--Most of the 600-750 cc bikes were around $5k (used) to $9k (new). The Ducatis were typically $15k, with one model selling for $72k(!!!!!).
      05-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #106
matt.love84
xXx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90.

well that $72,000 model you see is a VERY VERY VERY limited run. It's the Ducati Desmosedici.. basically a street bike with 200bhp moto GP technology.. not for the faint of heart(I've ridden a 187bhp bike, and that was one of the scariest thing's I've ever done.

You can find yourself a good 600cc bike for around the $4k-5k mark. The Ducati pictured above can be find a year old for about $12k, it's the 1098S.

I'd recommend starting off on a Suzuki SV650.. get some kicks and some good ol' learnin' under the belt.

plus if you ride conservatively.. you can get up to the same mileage you get on a civic.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #107
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

Bikes are more fun than any cars i've driven, ridden in...

Nothing gets your adrenaline going more than leaning the bike low, hit a rock and then bike wobbles a bit before u regain control...pull over on the shoulder lane and clean the shit from your pants

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:18 AM   #108
caudalM3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
This will hopefully happen soon. An american president, /republican or democrat, will visit Saudi Arabia and sit all the Lambo driving princes' down in one meeting. Let them know that lowering the price of the barrel is NOT an option. If not, we will withdraw all support, including military, and they will be taken over by Iran, or any other military power in that region that is interested. They will also be reminded of how if it weren't for the US, they would be Saddam's bitches. If this doesn't give us 2 dollar a gallon gas again, we will just allow that region to become the dust storm that is deserves to be. Americans will drive vehicles powered by some kind of alternative source. I can't wait til an american president grows some balls.
You really think the lambo driving princes are the reason that gas prices are so high here? The increase in price at our gas pumps is disproportionatly higher then the actual increase in crude oil prices. What that means is that the lambo driving princes aren't getting that extra cash we are paying at the pump. Take a wild guess where that money is going. I'll give you a hint, its not the poor bastard running the gas station, its the US/UK oil companies that are getting the majority of it.

For some reason its easier for most average intelligence people to blame outside countries/people for this issue when in reality its a big faceless corporation that doesn't give a damn about you or your gas price.

I wish the american people would grow some balls and stop blaming their problems on foreign countries and rather b-slap the big oil companies who had the balls to ask for increased subsidies from the US govt even in the face of record profits for them across the board (yes, every single company). <translation: "Mr Senator, yse we've made the largest percentage increase in profits in our company's history, but instead of using our windfall to invest in future technologies like every other corporation in this country does, I think the US government should give me extra money to find new drilling sites so that I can futher gouge people for money. I think you should give us this extra money because I helped get you elected of course, but we will both keep that between ourselves, just give me the extra money and I will pocket the difference.">

Do your homework dude, in all honesty, its people like you that just sit on their asses and whine that is the reason we are stuck where we are. Stop blaming lambo driving princes for our problems, get off your ass, and do something about this problem and fix it (start by learning about it so we can fix it the right way and for good.)

BTW, if you think Iran can take over Saudi Arabia, you've been watching a little bit too much FOX news.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #109
AMJ_77
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
How good is free , when you have to wait for months/years to get proper coverage ?
What are you talking about months to years for coverage? Once again you are ignorant to everyones situation but your own. The wait for services is minimal depending the situation and the severity. Don't comment on things that you know nothing about.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 11:56 AM   #110
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

some really good points in this thread. I already drive my beater a little bit more, cuse I can get away with putting 89 in it and its a 4 cylinder..I average 26-27 with it, whereas the BMW always seems to get stuck in traffic, and the best I can ever manage is 21 overall.

plus the beater is a lot smaller, and I can take it into the city and hit bumps and potholes with it without fearing of breaking or bending something...and I can fit it into tighter spots...

gas is going to keep going up to the point where people really cut back...that might actually bring prices back down.

But for the people who are loaded, you drive through their neighborhoods and see them all competing with their neighbors to see whos got the hottest GX470, R wagon, G wagon, Cadillac, etc...to them the increase in gas doesnt mean a thing to them cuse its chump change....its the middle class and lower (to qualify for middle class you have to make 100k a year now to be in the lower bracket..how absurd is that), that take the brunt of it....time to put a Dem in office.

Over the years I have learned not to watch the news or read newspapers...cuse they all feed you bullshit anyway...all fear doom and gloom crap. Anything to make a buck right?

As for the comment of making more money, yes its possible. How did I overcome that? I cut back some of my expenses (practically all). I didnt NEED to go out and drink, or NEED to buy those jeans or shoes. My wardrobe is big enough as it is now...I dont need to outdo my friends and shit and always get the latest or hottest fashion out to fill my head like some do...I have two friends like that and its sad cuse they just get credit card after credit card and just go on spendin sprees to be ballin to get all the hot girls....and they wont see it comin til reality hits them.

Im also trying to quit my job and move into something more stable, like a utility or transportation (i.e Railroad, bus, gas or electric)...you will always need power in some form in your daily life...bein a mechanic is starting to have its drawbacks, specially in the Porsche field...cuse its a Want, not a Need, we have had less projects this winter and into the spring this year than the last 10 years....and also the fact that I work NO overtime at all. Even though I budget out to work just fine on my paycheck, workin the extra few hours to make some more $ each day so I can surprise the girl with something special or take her out a real nice place in the city, would be great. I dont mind working more as long as the money is there to be made.

And WE are the problem, NOT the Gulf people and their oil. No sense to blame them for something they arent a part of. Its the oil companies here that go about and raise them up, and the speculators in wall street as well.

I gotta find that old picture from back in the day and it was all the dudes in Congress, and these giant fat dudes labeled with the oil companies and the antitrust fund with big money bags in their hands....their monetary value influences the sway in politicians votes...which all stems down to the fact that its peoples greed that is killing the country...anything to make a buck, and if I can do it cuttin corners somehow or doin it the sleazy way, you got it....I always wanted that $1500 an hour hooker in my hotel room at night.
Appreciate 0