E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > PDAs

05-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #23
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
If you want something integrated with a phone...get any flavour of Blackberry with a full QWERTY keyboard.

If you really want to get something that is seperate from your phone...get something Palm if you want longer battery life. Something with Windows Mobile if you want to download a lot of apps onto it.
Which palm
      05-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #24
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbiz View Post
Which palm
If you just want something simple, Palm Z22 http://www.palm.com/us/products/hand...z22/index.html
      05-25-2008, 10:22 AM   #25
cyba
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: beast

tytn II
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #26
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I don't think you understand how blackberry works. The "network" to which you are exposed is the providers network. The blackberry network is only as fast as the internet, but they are on a rather speedy connection, so that's not an issue. If you have setup your blackberry correctly, they are going out and polling your SMTP mail, or whatever you have, and then passing that data to your provider, who then sends it over the wireless network. The wireless network is clearly the weak link in the speed game.
I know exactly how they work. I've configured many for clients at work. You're over simplifying things a little though. When you are receiving mail, as you say (though not through SMTP, SMTP is how you send mail), you are using RIM's Blackberry network, not just the provider's internet. Either that, or you use the Enterprise software like I was saying before, in which case you must install extra software server side to make it run.

Both methods are antiquated now that phones are coming out that directly connect to mail servers without needing extra software or links through a third party. The system typically still works fine, but as we saw several times last year, having to rely on RIM's network is yet another chance for problems.