E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone Try Johnnie Walker Double Black?

03-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
This is an alcohol thread, not a discussion about time zones...

Besides, doesn't matter if time stands still, the bottles end up dead after I meet them.
and minus 1 hour of sleep makes getting up harder after killing bottles...want me to powerpoint this for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #24
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
and minus 1 hour of sleep makes getting up harder after killing bottles...want me to powerpoint this for you?
Are you assuming I have hangovers?? What do you take me for!?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #25
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Are you assuming I have hangovers?? What do you take me for!?
I never said hangover...I said waking up
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
I never said hangover...I said waking up
I contemplated for a second to see how many times I can get you to post that emoticon...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #27
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I contemplated for a second to see how many times I can get you to post that emoticon...
:read thethread:

Mine seems like it's on crack today...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #28
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Way off topic

Oh wait...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #29
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Haven't tasted it. Please drink single malts only. Thank you.
Please don't do this OP. Drink what you enjoy. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #30
zetaxi165
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 335, TiAg

Double Black is really good.

Has become my favourite blended malt whiskey.

It is worth the extra over normal Black label. (Over here it is 5 dollars more for a bottle)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #31
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Please don't do this OP. Drink what you enjoy. Thank you.

OT but I finally got around to having myself a glass of John Sullivan this weekend...not sure why I never tried it before but I was very impressed for the price point.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #32
z4nhy3uz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335I

i hope is smooth as the blue. I'll try it next week.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #33
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4nhy3uz View Post
i hope is smooth as the blue. I'll try it next week.

So...you are hoping that an approximately $60 bottle of scotch (the Double Black) will be as smooth as a $225 or so bottle of Scotch (the Blue)?

Only because I had to look up the pricing did I come across the fact that the Double Black has incorporated scotches from the Islay region, which means its going to be smoky. Which also means it will not taste like the Blue at all. You shouldn't have high hopes if you are looking for something smooth - stay away from Islay scotches. And some Lowland scotches as well for that matter. If you don't want to go single malt, then I'd suggest you try to find a blend of scotches concentrated from the Highland / Speyside region, and stay away from any coastal regions - they'll generally be briny and smoky (some people really enjoy that, all the more to them)

And yes, I've been a bit of an arse in this thread, I agree. Thanks to the users who corrected my original statement about only drinking single malts and that he should drink what he enjoys. I agree with you, I meant my original remark as a bit of a joke, but I can see how it wasn't taken that way. Everybody should drink what they like, not what is most expensive or what everyone else is drinking, just want to emphasize that.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:32 PM   #34
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So...you are hoping that an approximately $60 bottle of scotch (the Double Black) will be as smooth as a $225 or so bottle of Scotch (the Blue)?

Only because I had to look up the pricing did I come across the fact that the Double Black has incorporated scotches from the Islay region, which means its going to be smoky. Which also means it will not taste like the Blue at all. You shouldn't have high hopes if you are looking for something smooth - stay away from Islay scotches. And some Lowland scotches as well for that matter. If you don't want to go single malt, then I'd suggest you try to find a blend of scotches concentrated from the Highland / Speyside region, and stay away from any coastal regions - they'll generally be briny and smoky (some people really enjoy that, all the more to them)

And yes, I've been a bit of an arse in this thread, I agree. Thanks to the users who corrected my original statement about only drinking single malts and that he should drink what he enjoys. I agree with you, I meant my original remark as a bit of a joke, but I can see how it wasn't taken that way. Everybody should drink what they like, not what is most expensive or what everyone else is drinking, just want to emphasize that.
I've never heard of Lowland scotches being called not smooth or compared to Islay... Lowland scotches are usually more earthy/grassy tasting.

Anyway, I'm a scotch snob. Only single malt. I don't even call the blended varieties scotch. I call them whiskey.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've never heard of Lowland scotches being called not smooth or compared to Islay... Lowland scotches are usually more earthy/grassy tasting.

Anyway, I'm a scotch snob. Only single malt. I don't even call the blended varieties scotch. I call them whiskey.

Since your a "snob", I think you mean whisky.

Also, smooth generally is generally what people say when they really mean little to no alcohol kick, and/or the whisky has a good finish. Smooth is not a flavor and isn't limited to any region. If it is bottled at a low ABV and doesn't leave your mouth tasting like battery acid then it is probably "smooth" . Cask strength whisky can be smooth if you add water, etc. Smooth is essentially a useless term other than to describe alcohol content or perhaps lack of a bad finish.

Last edited by radix; 03-16-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
treated
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Only because I had to look up the pricing did I come across the fact that the Double Black has incorporated scotches from the Islay region, which means its going to be smoky.
JW Black has Caol Ila. Although Caol Ila isn't as strong as an Ardbeg Uigeadail, it's still peated. IIRC, it also has Talisker in it as well. BTW, I'm referring to the "single" black here. I only mention this since OP seems to like it, he probably doesn't have too much of a problem with smoky blends.

Last edited by radix; 03-16-2011 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #38
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The quality of a whisky is not necessarily directly related to its age or its price. In fact, quality and price are frequently inversely related. As popularity goes up, supply has to increase to meet demand, and in the process quality often suffers. Prices will go up along with demand as well.

Lagavulin is a prime example of a whisky whose quality suffered as its price and popularity increased.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #39
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since your a "snob", I think you mean whisky.

Also, smooth generally is generally what people say when they really mean little to no alcohol kick, and/or the whisky has a good finish. Smooth is not a flavor and isn't limited to any region. If it is bottled at a low ABV and doesn't leave your mouth tasting like battery acid then it is probably "smooth" . Cask strength whisky can be smooth if you add water, etc. Smooth is essentially a useless term other than to describe alcohol content or perhaps lack of a bad finish.
Well if we are going to be picky about spelling, it is "you're".

I did not refer to smooth as a taste, but I can see how that was misinterpreted. I use smooth as not having the bite on the back of your tongue/throat after taking a sip. It doesn't always mean abv.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #40
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well if we are going to be picky about spelling, it is "you're".

I did not refer to smooth as a taste, but I can see how that was misinterpreted. I use smooth as not having the bite on the back of your tongue/throat after taking a sip. It doesn't always mean abv.
Much of what follows is not for your benefit, and I'm sure you already know, but it's apropos, so here goes...

That bite is also called alcohol kick, and usually happens more frequently and more prominently at higher proof bottlings. To me, this is why it's important to experiment with adding water in different amounts. In addition to the "opening up" factor, which is also caused by exposure to air, adding water will reduce the bite. Generally, but not always, 46% abv or greater needs water, 43% needs just a drop or two, perhaps none, and 40% usually can be left alone, or needs very little water. I can think of a few 46% abv offerings that are fine sans water however, but not a single cask strength offering.

I typically don't water blends much, as many have the nasty habit of disintegrating.

Whatever you do, don't add water too quickly, as you can easily drown good whisky.

Last edited by radix; 03-16-2011 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #41
radix
No_Country
Rep

Oh, and of course, individual preferences will vary wildly.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #42
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Much of what follows is not for your benefit, and I'm sure you already know, but it's apropo, so here goes...

That bite is also called alcohol kick, and usually happens more frequently and more prominently at higher proof bottlings. To me, this is why it's important to experiment with adding water in different amounts. In addition to the "opening up" factor, which is also caused by exposure to air, adding water will reduce the bite. Generally, but not always, 46% abv or greater needs water, 43% needs just a drop or two, perhaps none, and 40% usually can be left alone, or needs very little water. I can think of a few 46% abv offerings that are fine sans water however, but not a single cask strength offering.

I typically don't water blends much, as many have the nasty habit of disintegrating.

Whatever you do, don't add water too quickly, as you can easily drown good whisky.
If you haven't tried it yet, use distilled soft water. They sell them by the jug for like 99 cents or so. You'd be surprised at how much better it tastes then normal distilled, and especially tap water.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #43
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If you haven't tried it yet, use distilled soft water. They sell them by the jug for like 99 cents or so. You'd be surprised at how much better it tastes then normal distilled, and especially tap water.
I guess I've never tried it. Distilled water is soft water by definition, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #44
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess I've never tried it. Distilled water is soft water by definition, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.
maybe I'm thinking double distilled
Appreciate 0