E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Cylinder Count

05-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFGJR View Post
Perhaps “masculinity” was a poor choice of words—“gear headed to the point of obsession/stupidity” or something is probably more on point... i.e., yeah, the guy with 100 weedeaters wins!

Wish I could find the original Peter Egan column online; he’s a terrific, sentimental and sometimes whimsical writer and “dumb as hell” isn’t something one would usually attribute to him. (If that was instead aimed at me, well then that’s a different story altogether…)
So the guy with a lawn care business that doesn't even know the difference between supercharger and a turbocharger is the biggest gearhead? I fail to see how 100 weedwhackers = gearhead. Even having lots of legitimate toys doesn't make you a gearhead.

Again, it's a stupid measurement, of a measurement that is stupid to begin with; Stupid^2

Being a good writer doesn't mean your ideas can't be stupid.
      05-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Well just to set the record straight, it's a Stihl HT-101 Pole Saw, not an air pump. Had one bothered to check, the Stihl 4-Mix engine is pretty neat and has a connection to BMW. Back in the '30s BMW made an aircraft engine that was a 4-stroke cycle but used 2-stroke fuel pre-mix in order to avoid the complications of using an oil sump in an aircraft application. A Stihl engineer saw the engine in the BMW museum in Germany and developed the engine type for various Stihl products. Thought some of the gear-heads would find it interesting.

But I digress...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Well just to set the record straight, it's a Stihl HT-101 Pole Saw, not an air pump. Had one bothered to check, the Stihl 4-Mix engine is pretty neat and has a connection to BMW. Back in the '30s BMW made an aircraft engine that was a 4-stroke cycle but used 2-stroke fuel pre-mix in order to avoid the complications of using an oil sump in an aircraft application. A Stihl engineer saw the engine in the BMW museum in Germany and developed the engine type for various Stihl products. Thought some of the gear-heads would find it interesting.

But I digress...
Funny that you assumed I was talking about you. Sometimes the shoe just fits I suppose...but I digress....

Appreciate 0