E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2004 Vw R32

05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

2004 Vw R32

I need your negotiating help. So I found a rare somewhat low mileage MKIV R32 for sale....

Magic black - 67k miles - dealer asking $15,900.

I have yet to check it out, but if all is good, I'm definitely going to pick it up. Please give any insight or advice on what's the lowest negotiating point I should go for. Any proven tactics you've used other than the walk away method.

I think this one may be tricky because it's the ONLY MKIV R32 in a 500 mile radius and only 5,000 were made so they may use that as leverage.

I was thinking $16k OTD.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

They may be rare, but unless you are a diehard VW fan boi I would pick a different toy. They weigh too much, stupid money to make one fast, parts cost too much and in the end it's still a VW. You could do a lot better spending that $15k on something that could be made faster, handle better etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

^^ like what?

I know it may not be that fast, but the exhaust note had me sold!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
MrClean335i
FBO+Methanol Injection
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Dont waste your money on that crap. Save it for a BRZ or a FR-S 86
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Seems high for an 04. I had an 08 R32 and as already stated they are way over weight, horrible fuel economy, not fast, and expensive aftermarket. The VR6 does does sound good but for me not good enough to out weigh the negatives. I would much rather pick up a used STi.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Hmmm.... I will definitely consider your guys advice. I thought about some used STi's and Evo's but there all so abused for around 16k.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I would buy the R32 for sure.

These cars still command a decent amount of money, and likely will for quite some time. It's VWs highest performing car at the time, the next gen came with dsg only which sucks and the new one has a 20.t with a bigger turbo. So awesome vr6 + 6mt = awesome fun and sound.

What are you looking to do with the car? If you want the best performance car for the money, look elsewhere. The R32 isn't going to blow the doors off anything these days. That said it is an awesome car! Looks (subjective) are still very good, those seats are freakin awesome. The engine sounds great and is much more reliable than its japanese counterparts.

I'm no expert on the prices of these (see vw vortex for comparable prices) but this seems to be pretty dead on. For ~16k there are a few other cars I would entertain, none of which would be as rare and cool as the r32. I would love to pick one of these up with those miles at that price point for a DD. Make sure it checks out, but like I said these are pretty bullet proof cars. HP will be hard to extract, but I am of the camp that fun does not always = power.

Edit: all that said, I would start looking for less than that OTD just to see how far they can go.

Last edited by lcrain; 05-10-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post

These cars still command a decent amount of money, and likely will for quite some time. It's VWs highest performing car at the time, the next gen came with dsg only which sucks and the new one has a 20.t with a bigger turbo. So awesome vr6 + 6mt = awesome fun and sound.

What are you looking to do with the car? If you want the best performance car for the money, look elsewhere. The R32 isn't going to blow the doors off anything these days. That said it is an awesome car! Looks (subjective) are still very good, those seats are freakin awesome. The engine sounds great and is much more reliable than its japanese counterparts.

I'm no expert on the prices of these (see vw vortex for comparable prices) but this seems to be pretty dead on. For ~16k there are a few other cars I would entertain, none of which would be as rare and cool as the r32. I would love to pick one of these up with those miles at that price point for a DD. Make sure it checks out, but like I said these are pretty bullet proof cars. HP will be hard to extract, but I am of the camp that fun does not always = power.

Edit: all that said, I would start looking for less than that OTD just to see how far they can go.
My thoughts exactly. I'm aware the STi's and evo's are faster than the R32, but for an all around DD and one that's unmolested and sounds like an angry demon, I think it's an awesome car!

Unfortunately the one I found was sold after two days of the ad being put up

Gotta keep looking, but until then...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

I have always loved the MKIV R32, IMO it is better than the MKV R32 mainly because you get a 6 speed. I personally would not buy one from a dealer, private sale only especially considering they are not exactly a car typically taken care of, a lot are beat up.

Not the fastest, not the best handling but just a care I have fell in love with and been in love with for quite some time. I have driven a couple of them but troll the forums like vwvortex, etc to find one not a dealer...
      05-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
b0bab0i
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 TiAG z4 3.0i w/ hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
^^ like what?

I know it may not be that fast, but the exhaust note had me sold!
Beetle, Audi TT, Audi A3 all have the same motor as the R32.

I agree with most that its better to get an evo/sti.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:

Chipped GTi's are faster than R32's.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoooon View Post
The awd on the R32 seems more appealing than a fwd GTi.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post
sure does make a racket with not a lot of speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Great comment. I think GTIs are great, but I would rather have an R32 personally. The 2.0t chipped is very nice, but something about that vr6 is very appealing. Like I said, if speed is what your looking for dont get the r32.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #15
Precision
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
and front wheel drive, and a dime a dozen and be quiet
      05-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #16
b0bab0i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
The awd on the R32 seems more appealing than a fwd GTi.
Yeah, but if you were going performance, Evo & STi is a better choice right?

Quote:
Great comment. I think GTIs are great, but I would rather have an R32 personally. The 2.0t chipped is very nice, but something about that vr6 is very appealing. Like I said, if speed is what your looking for dont get the r32.
Interior is virtually the same right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
and front wheel drive, and a dime a dozen and be quiet
And? OP lives in Cali, AWD is not needed at all for a DD. This is a forum, a place where you have discussions.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
lcrain
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Interior is virtually the same right?
The newer MKV R32 have essentially the same interior as the GTI. The R32 has the leather standard while it was an option in the GTI, instead of that terrible plaid.

The MKIV R32 (which is what he is looking at) on the other hand had awesome bucket seats that were far superior to anything you could get in a GTI. Also keep in mind the MKIV GTI has the 1.8t which doesn't have the same potential as the 2.0t found in the MKV. An R32 can be made fast, it just isn't as easy or cheap as an sti/evo.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #18
DB
M3/Raptor
United_States
Rep
Drives: to the track

I had a 2004 R32 and it is one of my past cars that I miss most (more than my e39 m5). It doesn't matter that it is not as fast as an sti or an evo; it's an entirely different car, and it's plenty fast anyway. If you're going by straight speed vs. cost, then you buy a honda crx for $500 and throw on a supercharger and some nitrous.

The seats were amazing. The car sounded better that almost anything (m3 included I think). And it was just a pleasure to own and drive. I would gladly get another if the right one turned up.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #19
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

I haven't owned a r32 but i had some seat time in my cousins 04 r32 and it sure was a blast to drive. He had some exhaust mod done and nothing else, blacked out the stock wheels, it just looked nice. The bucket seats were also nice. Its not as fast as an evo or sti, like many people said, but it sure as hell does sound a lot better than one. It would be a fun daily driver, i would buy one in a heart beat if i could find a nice one.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Most of the people that talk down the car car haven't driven one, if you aren't going to track it, they're AWESOME. Amazing seats, amazing engine noise, quality interior, AWD, it's super exclusive and will always be worth a good amount of money. Never, I repeat NEVER touch a 16k Evo or STi.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #21
b00st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce View Post
Most of the people that talk down the car car haven't driven one, if you aren't going to track it, they're AWESOME. Amazing seats, amazing engine noise, quality interior, AWD, it's super exclusive and will always be worth a good amount of money. Never, I repeat NEVER touch a 16k Evo or STi.
Why wouldn't you get an Evo for $16k? That's basically the going rate for an Evo VIII. I sold my Evo IX last year with a couple minor issues for $17k. There are deals to be had on those cars. Just do your research and know the common issues to look out for. But I do think the R32's are awesome for a decent daily car. From personal experience, they are A LOT slower than a modded Evo though. A bolt on Evo will put many car lengths on an R32 pretty quickly. Just depends on what you want out of the car though. An R32 will be way more comfortable every day than an Evo or an Sti.

'12 Black Diamond CTS-V Sedan - Stock for now
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:36 AM   #22
Precision
Private First Class
Rep

I love BMW but most of the community is down right ignorant and stupid regarding the modified car and track scene... stupid...