E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Anyone have a gun for safety??

04-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Red E92 M3

ok..thanks for getting off topic guys (not all) and thanks to the 3 ppl that answered my question. ;]
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #24
NPDAN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW DCT M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [8.00]
07' E92 335i  [0.00]
Yea, I have a couple... Glock 17 and Remington shotgun... Yes they're locked up...
      04-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #25
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I have a few. A Beretta 9mm, a 1911 .45 (for old times sake), and I normally carry a Springfield Arms XD45.

I would recommend a revolver if you do not have much experience with firearms. You can't go wrong with a .38 small frame if you want to keep it in the car.
I was thinking about getting the XD45.. How do you like it?
      04-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #26
ganeil
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by richeerich03 View Post
I was thinking about getting the XD45.. How do you like it?
I love it. Fits my hand well. I fire it better than the Glock I looked at.

1974 2002tii
1978 320i
2007 328i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #27
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep

I want something simple but that will get the job done if some fucker tries to break in my house or steal my car. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #28
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

I used to get upset when I heard Americans say that they have the right to bear arms, and keep a handgun in their home, car, etc. But now I realize that it's just so deeply ingrained in your society/culture that you'll probably never be able to restrict guns in your country.

The way I see it now, if you're happy living in a country where everyone has the right to bear arms but a few thousand people are killed by guns every year, then that's your choice. I don't subscribe to that mindset, so that's one of the many reasons that I prefer to live in Canada.

For those Americans out there who are for gun control, you need to do one of two things:
1) Help build up enough support to get gun control laws passed in your state or country
2) Move somewhere else that has better gun control laws (another state or country)

Because honestly, you will NEVER convince these gun-toting, gun-loving fellow citizens of yours that guns are harmful.

This statement was totally confirmed for me when, after the Virginia Tech shootings, more than one pro-gun group argued that all students on campus should carry firearms so that if this were to happen again, then they could defend themselves.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #29
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris335i View Post
I want something simple but that will get the job done if some fucker tries to break in my house or steal my car. Ideas?
Shotgun.. I keep telling people.. Shotguns have the highest 1 stop shot rating. Especially slugs.

Simple to use, simple to clean, and almost never ever jam.. Just point and shoot in a general direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #30
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post
I used to get upset when I heard Americans say that they have the right to bear arms, and keep a handgun in their home, car, etc. But now I realize that it's just so deeply ingrained in your society/culture that you'll probably never be able to restrict guns in your country.

The way I see it now, if you're happy living in a country where everyone has the right to bear arms but a few thousand people are killed by guns every year, then that's your choice. I don't subscribe to that mindset, so that's one of the many reasons that I prefer to live in Canada.

For those Americans out there who are for gun control, you need to do one of two things:
1) Help build up enough support to get gun control laws passed in your state or country
2) Move somewhere else that has better gun control laws (another state or country)

Because honestly, you will NEVER convince these gun-toting, gun-loving fellow citizens of yours that guns are harmful.

This statement was totally confirmed for me when, after the Virginia Tech shootings, more than one pro-gun group argued that all students on campus should carry firearms so that if this were to happen again, then they could defend themselves.

Why restrict guns?

Lets see... Normal law abiding people use guns for the follow

Hunting
Protection from both criminals and animals
Target shooting

Why should we not be able to do that?

Did you ever stop to think that hey all the bad guys follow the rules? Oh wait they dont.. If you take guns away from citizens then only the government and criminals will have them. If you look at the stats even the most anti gun folks when they take time to do the proper research realize that the states with the highest gun control have the highest rate of violent crimes and more crime in general.

Ask any criminal if they would rather rob a house or a person they know has a gun or one that does not have a gun.. Thats easy the one without, so just having on is a deterrent.

No gun control would stop the VT shooting. No gun control would stop columbine. No gun control would stop the LA bank shoot out, No gun control would of stopped just about any shooting.. Criminals will always get guns just like people can always buy drugs illegally on the street.

In the case of VT if a student or professor had a gun they could of stopped it, its been proven, do a google search for students or teachers who have stopped school shootings. You can find several cases some are from students who stopped it, to a principle at a school.

Also in Israel they had a bad school shooting and around 30 kids died, the solution to this was to mandate that X number of people per X number of people have to be armed. Granted they were attacked by terrorist but none the less the VT shooter and other school shooters are just terrorist.

You seem to be afraid of something you have no experience with or have no knowledge or want to find out more about.

Here are some stats for you, victims of guns have over an 80% survival rate, go look up the recent school shooting in VT and look how many students got shot and survived and how many bullets they took, same goes with columbine. And if you want to talk about something dangerous... Lets talk about how cars kill more people than guns each year...

Anyways I could go and on and on all day, but it comes down to you not being comfortable and not having a good knowledge about guns. I bet if you have kids you should check under your sink, you probably have a few items that kill more kids each year and are more dangerous than guns... Same goes with your medicine cabinet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #31
CRZ410S
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i Vert

Go to a shooting range, rent one, and try shooting it. Just having one without any skills is usless!
      04-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #32
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

I have 3 guns. H&K USP 9mm, Walther P22, and Kel-Tec P-3AT.

The P-3AT is a great carry gun as it is small enough to put anywhere and packs a good punch.

04-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #33
cyraschris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Montego Blue 335i E92

Garage List
XD9. a little 'tamer' than the xd45. as someone else said... go to a range and shoot. good for practice and good for trying out several types of guns. even better if you have friends with guns to go with you so you can try their's out as well. think of it like test-driving a car... you want to know what you are getting and make sure you like it first. good luck, and i know what you mean about being in miami. i was out on south beach at a stop light and what do you know random gunshot somewhere behind me. can be scary.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #34
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by takedown8 View Post

Makes a hell of a lot more sense than hiding in your classroom hoping that he doesn't decide to come in and kill you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
mikev333
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 328 AW

Healthcare + Guns = Utopian Canada !!! LOL

Law abiding civilians in Canada have no guns. Heck if anyone wants to invade Canada, we will be defending it with hockey sticks!

Last edited by mikev333; 04-12-2008 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #36
out4scrilla
drive slow homie
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

ive wanted a gun for a while
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #37
out4scrilla
drive slow homie
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92

oh and is it actually legal for you to carry a gun in your car? do you need some sort of a liscence
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris335i View Post
My father and I were thinking about getting one to keep in the house or maybe in our cars, or both. We live in a good area but in Miami you never know what can happen, theres alot of crazy mofos out here. Does anyone have one for safety? If so what kind? And have you ever had to use it or show it to protect yourself or scare someone off that was threatening to you?
Why do you need a gun? I don't get it. If someone comes up to your car with a gun and they see you reaching in your arm rest for something..they will freak and probably shoot you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 12:32 AM   #39
grumpybear
not afraid to call it like I see it
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
I thought it was clear enough from the chart (from the CDC,their colors), that guns are associated with death.

OT, but where do illegal guns come from? I never really thought about it. Certainly, most legal owners don't commit crimes (yes, they often do, but certainly nobody who drives a BMW; and nobody here on this board would commit suicide). I realized that they're stolen from legal owners, who keep them in their car or unlocked at home.

Sorry, I forgot that NRA members are 'fanatical' about ownership. Feel the power, the cold steel. Must be really something to walk around like a big man, able to kill when you want to. Must be quite a rush. I think I've discovered the reason for the fanatacism, thinly veiled as a constitutional right.

'Yeah, I carry a gun for SAFETY, not because of psychology'

Yes, I'm making fun of C&C.

Why don't people obsess over the fourth, fifth, or sixth amendments, instead of the 2nd?
all that chart told me is we need to do something about the issue of people accidently poisioning and falling and killing themselves since that happens 3X as much as firearm related homicides. We should outlaw poisions and slippery shoes and pass a law to not let people walk on ice or be more then 2 inches above the ground for any reason.

To answer to OP, yes, I carry a gun at all times and am licensed to do so in more then 30 states. The other states where I can't, fuck them I don't go there.

Last edited by grumpybear; 04-13-2008 at 12:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 12:44 AM   #40
toofasttooslow
Galactic Emperor
Rep
Drives: Fast

Got one of these for home defense, or blasting any alien craft that might be entering the atmosphere...

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #41
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
Why do you need a gun? I don't get it. If someone comes up to your car with a gun and they see you reaching in your arm rest for something..they will freak and probably shoot you.
yea thats true...but not all people that try to rob your car have a gun..lets just hope that someone tries to steal my car with a knife..and theres so many factors involved. Depends on the location (how much time do they have to get the job done before someone sees and acknowledges whats going on and treis to help or calls the police) , whether I see the person coming up to my car first or not, or what kind of weapon they are carrying. So your telling me its better not to have anything then to have some form of protection? Like a Gun? Alot of times when crooks rob a house or something they have some sort of weak or ineffective weapon. I dont think anyone would have the balls to stick around when they see me come downstairs with a big ass shot gun in my hand. Most criminals dont even have the intention to kill..they dont even have the balls to do it. They expect to just scare the person they are robbing enough to abandon their car so they can take it. But when they see me with a gun in my hand then they know im not fucking around they get scared. IMOP its better to have something then nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:44 AM   #42
chrisM6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gum5h03 View Post
Got one of these for home defense, or blasting any alien craft that might be entering the atmosphere...

WTH is that? lol looks deadly!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #43
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

we had a thread on locking up guns which kind of turned into this.

anyway I own an Berreta M9/92 and a Glock 23
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #44
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

anyone from jersey? i need to borrow someones gun to take care of some business!

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0