E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Smallish RWD, manual sedan?

02-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #23
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Sorry to necro this thread, Red Bread, but fellow forum member mkoesel just pointed me to this post by Scott26:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=48

Apparently BMW had considered making a 2-series GC (baby sedan) to compete against the forthcoming A3 sedan and MB CLC, but those plans were nixed for fear of cannibalizing F30 sales.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Sorry to necro this thread, Red Bread, but fellow forum member mkoesel just pointed me to this post by Scott26:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=48

Apparently BMW had considered making a 2-series GC (baby sedan) to compete against the forthcoming A3 sedan and MB CLC, but those plans were nixed for fear of cannibalizing F30 sales.
Haha, thanks. Could have been interesting, I have to think that BMW is up to something to fill this gap, at least for the EU. I realize the F20/F21 cover this market fairly well, I guess I'm just finally starting to feel the pain of Americans loving silly SUV's.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #25
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hey, look at me! I'm necroing this thread yet again, but this time with good news:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-series-saloon

BMW is reconsidering its plans for an F26 aka a 2-series Gran Coupe aka a "smallish RWD sedan."

Scott26 implied something similar a few weeks ago as well. Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to wait at least 24 months before we see this thing come to market, but it's a good sign regardless.

My dilemma now is whether or not to pull the trigger on an X1 sDrive28i this fall, or hold onto our E46 325i until the F26 materializes.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
What was the reasoning behind not bringing the F20 1-series to North America, anyway? Fear of cannibalization with F30 sales?
The idea is in norther america, due to the amount of space we have, nobody in the right mind would purchase smaller more compact cars for a similar price to that of a full sized sedan. That's the overall consensis anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
The idea is in norther america, due to the amount of space we have, nobody in the right mind would purchase smaller more compact cars for a similar price to that of a full sized sedan. That's the overall consensis anyways.
Yet I can build a JCW for $42k, or a Goodwood Mini for $55k.

Realistically though, I'll probably buy an F31 in the next year or eighteen months, and if a smaller F20 five door were available, I wouldn't even consider the F31, not because of price, but because of how big it is. So I suppose by limiting our choices, BMW makes more money.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #28
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

I would wait for the A3 personally. Should be around the same size as your B5 A4 was. S3 will probably have a similar engine to the golf R, the RS3 sedan will likely use the turbo 5 cylinder found in the TTRS, hopefully I can afford a second car like that when it comes out because it will be awesome.

The concept looked great, Audi has been killing it with interiors. Yes it is not rwd, but awd is audi's staple. I don't see any better rwd options, maybe the caddy ats when it comes out...or ats-v.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I would wait for the A3 personally. Should be around the same size as your B5 A4 was. S3 will probably have a similar engine to the golf R, the RS3 sedan will likely use the turbo 5 cylinder found in the TTRS, hopefully I can afford a second car like that when it comes out because it will be awesome.

The concept looked great, Audi has been killing it with interiors. Yes it is not rwd, but awd is audi's staple. I don't see any better rwd options, maybe the caddy ats when it comes out...or ats-v.
Agreed, just wish the new A3 was going to have a longitudinal engine layout that would allow for quattro awd, not the Haldex layout of the current A3/Golf R. Still, it is the most promising thing on the near horizon.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #30
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed, just wish the new A3 was going to have a longitudinal engine layout that would allow for quattro awd, not the Haldex layout of the current A3/Golf R. Still, it is the most promising thing on the near horizon.
Did you not see the article I linked above? Or is that window too far out on the horizon for you? (It's too far for me)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #31
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The TTRS has haldex, and that thing is supercar fast with a tune. You can mess with the the bias enough to get it to be 50/50 all the time, maybe even has a rear bias.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you not see the article I linked above? Or is that window too far out on the horizon for you? (It's too far for me)
Yeah, I saw a similar article recently. It could work, probably for my car. Both myself and my wife need a car in the next few years, so an F31 and some form of 1er sedan might work. I'm just a little disenchanted with the recent BMW's as they get less and less driver centric.

To be honest, I'm holding out the most hope for a BRZ/FR-S sedan or the next Lexus IS being based on that chassis. I'm also curious what will happen with the WRX/STI if they really don't tie it to the Impreza chassis.
Appreciate 0