E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 2004 Vw R32

05-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #23
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***** View Post
Why wouldn't you get an Evo for $16k?
You might have answered your own question.

Quote:
An R32 will be way more comfortable every day than an Evo or an Sti.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
jeff@autocouture
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

ive had 3 mk4 r32s, one of my favorite volkswagens, if i was looking to buy another car under 16 or around that it would be the r32, amazing in the snow, very driver oriented, there not fast, but most certainly amazing to drive, and that exhaust note..... omg
idc what anyone says its one of the best sounding cars ive heard
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Why wouldn't you get an Evo for $16k? That's basically the going rate for an Evo VIII. I sold my Evo IX last year with a couple minor issues for $17k. There are deals to be had on those cars. Just do your research and know the common issues to look out for. But I do think the R32's are awesome for a decent daily car. From personal experience, they are A LOT slower than a modded Evo though. A bolt on Evo will put many car lengths on an R32 pretty quickly. Just depends on what you want out of the car though. An R32 will be way more comfortable every day than an Evo or an Sti.
I had an STi, I loved it but it went through 3 motors in 23k miles. Clean Evos are damn expensive, the higher mile 8's are in that price range and have been absolutely beat to shit. I wouldn't trust them. And you can maybe get an 04 sti w/ a ton of miles for 16 but it's just waiting to pop.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

thanks for all the feedback guys. I finally got my MKIV R32! Reflex silver completely stock from the original owner.

Got it for $15k with 63k miles. The car is freakin mint and the sound of the exhaust is just insane.

Pics to come soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl
thanks for all the feedback guys. I finally got my MKIV R32! Reflex silver completely stock from the original owner.

Got it for $15k with 63k miles. The car is freakin mint and the sound of the exhaust is just insane.

Pics to come soon!
Congrats!!! Video clip of the sweet exhaust note too along with pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #28
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl

Pics to come soon!
Congrats!!! Video clip of the sweet exhaust note too along with pics!
for sure man! gonna give her a good wash tomorrow and should post em up by Monday.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #29
Sauce
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwdFtl View Post

Pics to come soon!
Congrats!!!!! Sounds like a steal.
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #30
Maseroche
Major
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats! One of my favorite cars so really looking forward to the pics.
'14 Mercedes-Benz S400
'18 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
Precision
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 BMW 330CI

There are so many idiots posting in this thread that don't know what the hell they are talking about

R32:

Stay away from dealership R32's and expect to pay a premium just because, they make a fantastic noise, have a nice interior and are fun to drive but don't expect a rocket ship. They can be finicky because of course they are VW, will always have a high resale value due to scarcity and blue is the best color. They do not respond well to mods and getting any serious power out of one is tough and pricey. Buy this if you want a sweet toy and don't care about whos faster than you.

EVO VIII or IX:

You can get one from $10,000 and up but expect the mileage to be lower with the price being higher. They are a tough car to buy and never buy one from a dealer. Pre purchase inspection is highly recommended, check fluids for metal shavings and go through it well, stock clutches are weak and don't last very long but they were designed that way, transfer case issues are present but some have issues in low mileage and others have 130k and never an issue however that is nothing a Shep Stage 2 T-case can't fix

The 2003 models all came with HID's however only in 2003, 03-04 also had a brembo brake and wing peeling issue. 04+ they were options for HID's in the SSL packages. The RS model is a scarce gutted version of the EVO with next to no sound proofing, aluminum roof, no wing, stereo, speakers, or power anything, it is lighter and tends to carry a higher/better resale value than the VIII and IX's. They only came in rally red and wicked white. The IX will be faster out of the box and with bolt ons than the 03-05. If you plan on getting serious you might at well go with an VIII because it is an easier 4G63 to tune and play with. 05 is a solid year but I like any year.

Get one of these if you want a really fun bin liner that becomes stupid fast stupid easily, it is a raw car with anything but a linear power band but the 4G63 is an iron block and can hold up to about 600whp on the stock block

STI

A fun car to drive and honestly a better town car than the EVO simply because of the EJ25, a more light to light friendly powerband with less lag, depends what you want to do with it but these engines are a lot more finicky and not as strong under stock internals. Expect about 400whp max before you need serious work done to make more. It will cost you almost twice as much to make power as the 4G63 will but still a fun car none the less. However both the EVO and STI attracted a lot of Dbags who said "AWD?! NO SPIN?! CLUTCH DUMP!" and disregarded the driveline components... transmissions and t-cases are not cheap.

SO! With that being said, if you have any questions I suggest you ask ME because you are getting a ton of bullshit responses. Hope this helps.
      05-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #32
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Here's a few pics fellas

Just a note to the discussion, I wasn't looking for the fastest car I can possibly get my hands on for around 16k. I was actually asking for negotiating advice in my original post.

However, this car is a perfect fit for my needs as DD. The original owner inlcuded all maintenance records from day one and has kept everything in near perfect condition.

I noticed that the exhaust really GROWLS in 3rd gear around 3500 RPM, but (after research) I found out that there is a valve in the exhaust that opens up past 40 MPH. This was done to keep noise at a minimum due to some EU code for city driving in Europe.

I will definitely get the ECS wire tuning kit which controls the opening and closing of the valve valve via switch.

Quick review: AWD helps for quick acceleration and provides very neutral handling, seats are comfortable AF, MPG is decent 19-21 city and 24-28 hwy, styling to me is very mature and lovely and of course that darn exhaust note

I think I'm falling in love

P.S. Sorry for the small pics (see sarcasm), haven't figured out this droid razr maxx...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #33
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Looks very clean. Enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #34
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Looks very clean. Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
Trevor .:R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 ZCP DCT

Garage List
11 M3  [10.00]
As you can see my user name is Trevor .:r stands for R32 =D i had one before my M still my favorite car of all time =D I love them all i had full bolts on and knew many people with them boosted its a great overall car!
      05-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor .:R View Post
As you can see my user name is Trevor .:r stands for R32 =D i had one before my M still my favorite car of all time =D I love them all i had full bolts on and knew many people with them boosted its a great overall car!
PM'd
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precision View Post
There are so many idiots posting in this thread that don't know what the hell they are talking about

R32:

Stay away from dealership R32's and expect to pay a premium just because, they make a fantastic noise, have a nice interior and are fun to drive but don't expect a rocket ship. They can be finicky because of course they are VW, will always have a high resale value due to scarcity and blue is the best color. They do not respond well to mods and getting any serious power out of one is tough and pricey. Buy this if you want a sweet toy and don't care about whos faster than you.

EVO VIII or IX:

You can get one from $10,000 and up but expect the mileage to be lower with the price being higher. They are a tough car to buy and never buy one from a dealer. Pre purchase inspection is highly recommended, check fluids for metal shavings and go through it well, stock clutches are weak and don't last very long but they were designed that way, transfer case issues are present but some have issues in low mileage and others have 130k and never an issue however that is nothing a Shep Stage 2 T-case can't fix

The 2003 models all came with HID's however only in 2003, 03-04 also had a brembo brake and wing peeling issue. 04+ they were options for HID's in the SSL packages. The RS model is a scarce gutted version of the EVO with next to no sound proofing, aluminum roof, no wing, stereo, speakers, or power anything, it is lighter and tends to carry a higher/better resale value than the VIII and IX's. They only came in rally red and wicked white. The IX will be faster out of the box and with bolt ons than the 03-05. If you plan on getting serious you might at well go with an VIII because it is an easier 4G63 to tune and play with. 05 is a solid year but I like any year.

Get one of these if you want a really fun bin liner that becomes stupid fast stupid easily, it is a raw car with anything but a linear power band but the 4G63 is an iron block and can hold up to about 600whp on the stock block

STI

A fun car to drive and honestly a better town car than the EVO simply because of the EJ25, a more light to light friendly powerband with less lag, depends what you want to do with it but these engines are a lot more finicky and not as strong under stock internals. Expect about 400whp max before you need serious work done to make more. It will cost you almost twice as much to make power as the 4G63 will but still a fun car none the less. However both the EVO and STI attracted a lot of Dbags who said "AWD?! NO SPIN?! CLUTCH DUMP!" and disregarded the driveline components... transmissions and t-cases are not cheap.

SO! With that being said, if you have any questions I suggest you ask ME because you are getting a ton of bullshit responses. Hope this helps.
Mr. Know It All,
Where exactly is the transfer case on an STi? The factory seems to have not installed one on my STi?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #38
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

^^^ that's why it's AWD not 4x4 right! Lol
Appreciate 0