E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Miss my MINI JCW Exhaust

03-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Pathy01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Miss my MINI JCW Exhaust

I miss the character of the exhaust sound my JCW MINI had. I went from stock on my 335i to Borla which sounds pretty good above 3000 rpm, but not very good below that with a lot of drone between 1700-2300. I've got a PW Performance Exhaust coming which sounded really good on the car I heard with it on. I hope I enjoy it as much over the long haul. I wish BMW could get the same sound engineers who tuned the factory R56 JCW exhaust to do one for the 335. I know it was a 4 cylinder vs a 6 but it seems like it should be possible to get a little more character to an N54 without getting rid of all the cats and while keeping it drone free and civilized when you're just cruising.

Here's a clip of the stock JCW for anyone interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vwaOiGfN98
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
bmwmthree
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Longer pipes / wider pipes = more drone. Just resonance.

Besides, the turbo has already "set" the sound characteristic up for the car; that's why all aftermarket systems sound somewhat similar. Can't change the engine
      04-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #4
Pathy01
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
Longer pipes / wider pipes = more drone. Just resonance.

Besides, the turbo has already "set" the sound characteristic up for the car; that's why all aftermarket systems sound somewhat similar. Can't change the engine
I'm not sure the length/diameter of the pipes alone determines drone. I had 3.5" pipe on a 6.0 V8 with straight through muffler that didn't drone like the Borla does. Sure it was loud, but you could hear the character of the engine at all engine speeds/load. This BMW turbo I6 just doesn't seem to have any character at low to moderate RPM, just that resonance of the pipes..

The MINI was a turbo but seemed to pass a lot more character through the turbo. The BMW performance exhaust seems to do a much better job than the other aftermarket exhausts I've heard of adding a more aggressive character without just opening it up creating resonance at low to moderate engine speed/load. Those who have it seem to love it, I'm really hoping I feel the same way once I've got mine on for a while. It's nice to be able to cruise in quiet comfort sometimes, and get a nice aggressive sound when you get on it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Hou*E92
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 328i LCI

The BMW Performance Exhaust for the 3-series is made by JCW in the UK.
Appreciate 0