E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Making lifestyle changes

02-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Making lifestyle changes

So right now, I'd say I have a pretty average build: 5'9", 171 lbs. with a little bit of noticeable fat on my stomach and the sides of my waist.

I love to run but where I fall short is my diet. My main goal is to lose my stomach fat and get leaner with maybe a little bit more muscle. Any help?

I apologize if I'm making this sound confusing. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama View Post
So right now, I'd say I have a pretty average build: 5'9", 171 lbs. with a little bit of noticeable fat on my stomach and the sides of my waist.

I love to run but where I fall short is my diet. My main goal is to lose my stomach fat and get leaner with maybe a little bit more muscle. Any help?

I apologize if I'm making this sound confusing. Thanks.
Sounds like you don't need to radically diet or change your lifestyle too much, perhaps just eat better. Best advice on nutrition would come from a nutritionists, but my rule of thumb is to stay away from white foods (not including white meat). So that's no white: sugar, pasta, wheat, flour, rice, etc. Also continue to exercise and limit your caloric content so what you consume does not exceed what you expend. That's just my 0.2 cents.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

You ever try crossfit?

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Black_Jesus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i AW

A fist size of meat and lots of veggies for all your meals and I guarantee you will loose toons of fat
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
You ever try crossfit?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2...-be-dangerous/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-r...b_3977598.html

Know your own limits and common sense... crossfit can kill people if you are not careful.
      02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^nonsense. I won't get into it on here, but with anything there are haters. You can find fault in any workout.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
Ecksman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 m3

Pm me man, I can most likely come up with a meal plan that can help you out.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
What does eating white food do? My main diet consists of bread, rice, pasta, and sugar.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

White foods get absorbed by your body fast and are usually higher on the glycemic index. Whole grains and "brown" carbs are harder for your system to digest so they keep your system working, keep you fuller longer, and spread the energy delivery over a longer time period.

Stomach fat is usually one of the hardest things to lose for men. It's one of the last places the body goes to, to get rid of "reserves".

As a precursor, I'm no expert or nutritionalist. If you want to be serious about this it may be worth seeing a professional to get a program put together based on your physical activity and goals

My take...Like others have said you probably just need a bit of a diet change. Try to keep it simple and you should see some results. It's easy to over complicate the dieting thing. One important thing is everyone is different and what works for one person may not work for another. apply some basic principles and adjust based on your body feedback.

Figure out what your resting calorie intake should be (plenty of online calculators out there). This is your calorie intake if you are sedentary. Everybody is different but I found if you maintain that even with moderate working out you should lose weight. Try it for a week or two and see how you feel. If you are feeling tired and weak you probably need more calories. The goal is to have a calorie intake that is 300-500 calories per day less than what you need to maintain your weight. A lb of fat is about 3500 calories. You don't want to lose more than 0.5-1lb per week or your body may start digging into muscle for energy (you usually lose some muscle anyways during a cut but you want to minimize it).

Make sure you get a good split on protein, carb, and fat. As always different splits work differently for everyone. If you do some searching online I'm sure you will find what is good for runners. For me a 30%protein 25% fat and 45% carb works good.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #11
SumoJax
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 e93

Get a good blender!!! Got a Blendtec around Christmas and I'm loving it!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

Know your own limits and common sense... crossfit can kill people if you are not careful.
im not a big fan of crossfit either. it throws people with little to no workout experience into doing very advanced moves that are dangerous and dynamic. most beginners need to figure out how to work their muscles and do some cardio and eat better before they start doing olympic lifts.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      02-08-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoJax View Post
Get a good blender!!! Got a Blendtec around Christmas and I'm loving it!!!
I'm lovin' it as well!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #14
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
im not a big fan of crossfit either. it throws people with little to no workout experience into doing very advanced moves that are dangerous and dynamic. most beginners need to figure out how to work their muscles and do some cardio and eat better before they start doing olympic lifts.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
martini
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I was in a similar situation a year ago, except I was at 196. I totally changed my diet/eating habits and starting counting calories. That was eye opening. I also didn't eat breakfast, sometimes skip lunch, and eat a huge meal around 7:30 at night- worst thing you could do. Plus, I'd eat unhealthy snacks throughout the day. Now I eat a good, healthy breakfast, salad/protein for lunch, and a lighter dinner. Also, drinks tons of water or green tea. I then started P90X and have moved onto T25. You need to include exercise at part of your routine if you want to lose weight while also getting lean. So from 196lbs, 21% body fat, I'm now at 150lbs, 13% body fat. Trust me, it's doable. I hated to exercise like running, going to the gym, etc. even though I love playing sports. Doing P90 or T25 for me, has been great. It's less than an hour and the results are extremely noticeable. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Best thing you can do is cut out ALL processed foods. When you buy groceries, only shop at the outer edge of the store. Produce, meat counter, dairy, bakery. Don't even walk down the center aisles with all the processed crap. There is so much fake crap in processed foods your body does not know how to handle it. Don't even get me started on artificial sweeteners.

I only eat whole foods, and drink; water, espresso, milk (whole milk only) and wine. I do not "count" calories, do not believe in "low fat" anything (bacon and foie gras are two of my biggest weaknesses) just eat honest food till I feel full and stop. And I stay at 5'11" and 170 lbs even.

Some good reads out there:

In Defence of Food, The Omnivore's Dilemma

http://michaelpollan.com/books/

Sugar, Salt, Fat

http://michaelmossbooks.com/books/salt-sugar-fat/

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 02-12-2014 at 08:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:56 PM   #17
koreez88
Всем привет ;)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla

Tell us what you eat and drink!

Lots of people fail to understand that food is what makes you. You can't put on muscle weight without eating more. Or you can't lose weight if you keep eating crap.

Eating lean + moderate exercise = great results
Eating whatever + hard exercise = moderate results
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #18
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Right now my diet consists of coffee in the morning with a banana sometimes, a sandwich sometimes for lunch, and homemade meals for dinner. Once in a blue moon, I'll have some fast food for dinner.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #19
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
I was in a similar situation a year ago, except I was at 196. I totally changed my diet/eating habits and starting counting calories. That was eye opening. I also didn't eat breakfast, sometimes skip lunch, and eat a huge meal around 7:30 at night- worst thing you could do. Plus, I'd eat unhealthy snacks throughout the day. Now I eat a good, healthy breakfast, salad/protein for lunch, and a lighter dinner. Also, drinks tons of water or green tea. I then started P90X and have moved onto T25. You need to include exercise at part of your routine if you want to lose weight while also getting lean. So from 196lbs, 21% body fat, I'm now at 150lbs, 13% body fat. Trust me, it's doable. I hated to exercise like running, going to the gym, etc. even though I love playing sports. Doing P90 or T25 for me, has been great. It's less than an hour and the results are extremely noticeable. Good luck.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
E85BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Best thing you can do is cut out ALL processed foods. When you buy groceries, only shop at the outer edge of the store. Produce, meat counter, dairy, bakery. Don't even walk down the center aisles with all the processed crap. There is so much fake crap in processed foods your body does not know how to handle it. Don't even get me started on artificial sweeteners.

I only eat whole foods, and drink; water, espresso, milk (whole milk only) and wine. I do not "count" calories, do not believe in "low fat" anything (bacon and foie gras are two of my biggest weaknesses) just eat honest food till I feel full and stop. And I stay at 5'11" and 170 lbs even.

Some good reads out there:

In Defence of Food, The Omnivore's Dilemma

http://michaelpollan.com/books/

Sugar, Salt, Fat

http://michaelmossbooks.com/books/salt-sugar-fat/
I've started doing that, cutting out all processed foods. I am starting starting to feel a lot better and having more energy throughout the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

I wouldn't blame crossfit for this but as you said the people that decide to do it without basic fitness first or at least working into a full workout. People leading them should also work new people into it. Go at a reasonable pace and work into it and you will be fine.

Many types of exercise can hurt you if you don't work into it or aren't properly trained.

As the video on crossfit I have a friend that got Rhabdomyolysis. We did Ironman Lake Placid, then three weeks later went water skiing all day. Day and a half later he was in intensive care and it could have killed him. I don't blame water skiing or tell people not to do it, just that if you overdue anything it could be dangerous. His body was already broken down and water skiing all day pushed him over the limit.
      02-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #22
mikelord7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI 6MT

Download my fitness pal app (it's free) to track calories. Eat 4-6 small meals per day. Drink water, not calorie packed juice/soda. Workout - insanity, t25, and p90x for both cardio and muscle building. It's really that simple. You will use the app to track progress and lbs will fly off. My wife is a dietician, but eating right is pretty easy and that seems to be your main concern. Find healthy food that you like. For me, chicken and avacados are a staple, along with fish and a morning protein shake with almond milk. Fruits as a snack maybe w a little peanut butter.
Appreciate 0