E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Help Registering a Business

09-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
Hollywood Hogan
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold: '13 RS5

Help Registering a Business

Hi guys, am wondering if anyone has ever used a site like LegalZoom to register an LLC? Looking for a painless way to register my business without taking too much of my time so that I can focus in my current and future business. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #2
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Never used legalzoom for that. Every corporation or LLC I have started I have done directly through the state website. It's always been much cheaper than any of the other services. I would look to see if your state lets you do it online on the cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Yes, help my son set up two LLC over the years and Legalzoom make it pretty easy and will register in your state. They can do everything for you or you can just let them set up the legal entity and you can do the rest like getting and EIN and State Sale Tax ID if you need one of those. Get a EIN is a 5 minute process on the IRS website not too hard to do, Sale Tax ID for a state is usually a little more complicated depending on the state.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

not sure about Cali, but in FL it takes about 10 min to register a LLC on the state website.

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/be/filing-tips-llc.htm

I didn't read the requirements of if you can register on line. But that's the link to tell you how to do it and what you need.

Edit: I'm home sick and bored....

Looks like you need to fill out form LLC-1, articles of organization. mail it in with $70 or drop it off for $85.

Here is a link to the form you need (LLC-1) - http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/llc/forms/llc-1.pdf

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 09-09-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

As Mr Tonka pointed out it is not that hard but you still need a lawyer to put together the Artical of organization. There are some template out there but each state has its own rules around this. The reason to set up an LLC is to protect your assets if something bad happens with the business.

If you set up the LLC incorrectly you could loose the protections it affords you Legalzoom will make sure that part is done correctly. I know most local lawyers want around $1000 just to set up the LLC for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #6
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

I set up my LLC 100% on my own. A lawyer is not needed. It's a quick and painless process. Just do some quick research and make sure you're forming the correct business/tax structure (LLC, Sole Proprietorship, S-corp, C-corp, Inc, etc)

America, fuck yeah.