E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > 2023 College Football Thread

12-07-2023, 07:55 PM   #155
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Have guys started announcing who will be out?
We have a couple handfuls in the portal but no one going pro has said they’re sitting out the game yet. I keep looking for the news of someone saying it
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 06:23 AM   #156
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Some people think FSU should pass on the Orange Bowl and I really feel for FSU.
Pate sasked something interesting that is if FSU had claimed Travis would be back before the bowl, would FSU have gotten the nod?
Super stoked for the pairings for CFP. Power vs power in the Michigan vs Alabama game and offensive firepower in Washington vs Texas and the winner meet.
The rest of the bowls outside this CFP structure are downplayed and bypassed as will any bowl outside the CFP in the future because the real teams will not show up. Sadly.
Anyone have a pick for the National Champs?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 08:24 AM   #157
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Pate sasked something interesting that is if FSU had claimed Travis would be back before the bowl, would FSU have gotten the nod?
Super stoked for the pairings for CFP. Power vs power in the Michigan vs Alabama game and offensive firepower in Washington vs Texas and the winner meet.
The rest of the bowls outside this CFP structure are downplayed and bypassed as will any bowl outside the CFP in the future because the real teams will not show up. Sadly.
If FSU passes on the orange bowl it will be because they have too many players sitting out and / or don’t want to get embarrassed vs. Georgia. But I don’t think they will sit out. Too much money on the line.

I saw the same thing from Pate but not sure anyone would believe FSU if they said Travis would be back in the next month.

As for a pick it seems like any of the four could win if they play to their potential. I really think Washington has been underrated all season and we know what a Saban Bama team can do, even if it took a miracle pass vs. Auburn to be here. But I’ll say Michigan because they seem the most capable of taking over the trenches and time of possession. Their lack of real weapons to participate in a shootout could haunt them but I think they can control the game enough to avoid that scenario.
BMWILUVU809.00
      12-10-2023, 02:25 PM   #158
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Too much money involved with these New Year's 6 bowls. No way they would not show up. Travis foot was at a 90 degree angle to his leg. No one would have believed that.
Quote:
These match ups are fantastic. Mich vs Bama is crazy to even think about. The spreads are so close in these games, it is a toss up. Rematch of Bama/Texas in championship game would be something. I wouldn't sleep on Bama and Saban. SEC supposedly had a "down year", but in reality Mich or Wash would not go undefeated in SEC...wouldn't happen. Just ask Bo Nix who knows what it is like to play in SEC, where he was an average QB. Auburn went 6-7 his third year there.
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      12-28-2023, 12:56 AM   #159
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Second best ACC team(15th ranked Louisville) gets beat by an unranked USC team missing 24 players. This team was one of FSU's two big wins...lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #160
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If FSU passes on the orange bowl it will be because they have too many players sitting out and / or don’t want to get embarrassed vs. Georgia. But I don’t think they will sit out. Too much money on the line.

I saw the same thing from Pate but not sure anyone would believe FSU if they said Travis would be back in the next month.

As for a pick it seems like any of the four could win if they play to their potential. I really think Washington has been underrated all season and we know what a Saban Bama team can do, even if it took a miracle pass vs. Auburn to be here. But I’ll say Michigan because they seem the most capable of taking over the trenches and time of possession. Their lack of real weapons to participate in a shootout could haunt them but I think they can control the game enough to avoid that scenario.
I am glad FSU is playing. Going to watch even if a miracle needs to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Second best ACC team(15th ranked Louisville) gets beat by an unranked USC team missing 24 players. This team was one of FSU's two big wins...lol.
I would not read too much into it since these bowl games become meaningless matchups when so players skip. Some matchups are close to full strength.
Mizzou beating OSU without McCord, Harrison Jr, Fleming, and others I would not read much into.
Ole miss running over PSU without Chop Robinson even though Ole Miss is also missing Cedric Johnson. Another example of PSU not being able to beat top teams. Penn State sorely needs to get more WR talent from the portal in the off season and give Fribula more reps.
Waiting for the CFP games.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 02:42 PM   #161
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Opening the transfer portal prior to the end of the college play offs is just another nail in college football coffin.
Add in the NIL effects and the NCAA is doing all they can to damage college football.
Appreciate 4
mookie45770.00
BMWILUVU809.00
F32Fleet3606.00
RickFLM410991.00
      12-31-2023, 08:27 AM   #162
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Well the Orange Bowl was an interesting letdown.

The bowl system needs to just die. You don't even need a winning record to play in a bowl and these games can cost programs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Kirby's Post game comment was spot on.

"People need to look at what happened tonight, and they need to fix this,” Smart began. “Everybody is saying we had our guys, [Florida State] didn’t have their guys. I can listen to all that, but college football has gotta decide what they want. And I know things are changing, and how things are gonna change next year. But you know what? There’s still going to be bowl games outside of [the playoff]. People need to decide what they want and what they wanna get out of it. It’s really unfortunate for those kids on that sideline that had to play in that game that didn’t have their full arsenal. It affected the game, 100%.”

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34182.00
BMWILUVU809.00
      12-31-2023, 12:18 PM   #163
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Nick Saban Says College Football Is Moving in ‘Semi-Pro Direction,’ Playoff Stripping Bowl Games of Importance.
He was completely right. Orange Bowl No. 6 Georgia dominates No. 5 Florida State 63 to 3. What a waste of bandwidth. They should have replayed Heidi
Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      01-01-2024, 08:54 AM   #164
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Everyone knows College ball is broken but money is in the game down to the players now and once money gets its grubby fingers into something, it takes major overhauls, soul-searching, and coordination to root it out. There are so many things wrong its beyond a few posts to address. There is and going to be more and more money thrown into ripping star players from teams in trying to assemble a one-off team to get into the 12 game playoffs. There is some irony in all of this though in that the dynamic landscape and the drama is sort of why its so interesting to most of us beyond the battles themselves on the field.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2024, 04:31 PM   #165
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Everyone knows College ball is broken but money is in the game down to the players now and once money gets its grubby fingers into something, it takes major overhauls, soul-searching, and coordination to root it out. There are so many things wrong its beyond a few posts to address. There is and going to be more and more money thrown into ripping star players from teams in trying to assemble a one-off team to get into the 12 game playoffs. There is some irony in all of this though in that the dynamic landscape and the drama is sort of why its so interesting to most of us beyond the battles themselves on the field.
I don't mind, just turn it into a lower level pro league.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 07:56 PM   #166
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
I don't mind, just turn it into a lower level pro league.
Uncomfortable with paid college athletes in college. Yes please split them out into a semi-pro league and stop asking them to go to class its a fascade.

Michigan - Bama does not disappoint!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:15 AM   #167
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Go Dawgs!!!!
      01-02-2024, 06:25 AM   #168
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Georgia would have embarrassed *ichigan yesterday! They are clearly the #1 team. Can't believe Bama was in it to be honest. Bama who beat Georgia a month ago wasn't the same Bama team that showed up yesterday.

I read somewhere that Saban and his staff had to change up their signs at halftime. Sure made a huge difference in the second half.

Bama's sketchy play calling in OT was the deciding factor. Hell...all first half it looked like *ichigan's defense knew what Bama was going to run before Bama even did.

Pulling for Washington! I hate the TTUN.
      01-03-2024, 01:44 PM   #169
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Bama was trying to win a Championship with a running back playing QB. They should portal in a QB. Imagine if Arch Manning transferred to Bama. That one event would actually make someone change what is going on with college football.

Luckily committee didn't cave to pressure to put in FSU. Fans got two great games to watch.

Small school like Liberty got their wish to play in a New Years 6 bowl game and got throttled by Oregon. Now key players are entering portal including the QB...congrats.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-03-2024 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:02 PM   #170
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
I was curious, now I regret my curiosity.

College Football Transfer Portal Tracker
This also means it’s time for the College Football Transfer Portal, which has turned into its own event, right up there with National Signing Day and the New Year’s Six Bowls.
This year’s College Football Transfer Portal started Monday, Dec. 4, 2023 and goes until Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024.
In 2022, there were nearly 1,300 undergraduates to transfer from one FBS football school to another.
https://www.nbcsports.com/college-fo...portal-tracker
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:02 PM   #171
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
Georgia would have embarrassed *ichigan yesterday! They are clearly the #1 team. Can't believe Bama was in it to be honest. Bama who beat Georgia a month ago wasn't the same Bama team that showed up yesterday.

I read somewhere that Saban and his staff had to change up their signs at halftime. Sure made a huge difference in the second half.

Bama's sketchy play calling in OT was the deciding factor. Hell...all first half it looked like *ichigan's defense knew what Bama was going to run before Bama even did.

Pulling for Washington! I hate the TTUN.
I think we would have ended up with Mich vs Georgia in final game. If Georgia would have won SEC championship.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34182.00
      01-03-2024, 02:06 PM   #172
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I was curious, now I regret my curiosity.

College Football Transfer Portal Tracker
This also means it’s time for the College Football Transfer Portal, which has turned into its own event, right up there with National Signing Day and the New Year’s Six Bowls.
This year’s College Football Transfer Portal started Monday, Dec. 4, 2023 and goes until Tuesday, Jan. 2, 2024.
In 2022, there were nearly 1,300 undergraduates to transfer from one FBS football school to another.
https://www.nbcsports.com/college-fo...portal-tracker
NCAA can't stop NIL money, that train has left the station.

But they can address the portal issues. First of all don't open portal until after the bowl games. Second they have to limit transfers per player. One transfer with immediate eligibility and second transfer where player has to sit out a year(this rule has been challenged in court and delayed for 2024). That would stop some of the madness.

There can't be a system where entire rosters change every year. The NFL isn't even like this, player contracts limit this movement. College football is like the wild wild west right now.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-03-2024 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 08:41 PM   #173
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
I think we would have ended up with Mich vs Georgia in final game. If Georgia would have won SEC championship.
Personally thought Georgia could have won it all this year. Bama did Michigan a favor.
Appreciate 2
GERMAN M34182.00
M3WC3646.50
      01-04-2024, 12:26 AM   #174
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Personally thought Georgia could have won it all this year. Bama did Michigan a favor.
Agree. They will be back next year.

Kirby Smart is a savage. Leaked audio from pregame 2023 National Championship speech. Result was 65-7.

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 06:18 AM   #175
MoeTE87
OHIO STATE
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
I agree with the above "Bama did Mich a favor" comment. I feel UGA would have steam rolled over Michigan again.

No matter what Michigan does on Monday...in a few months, after the investigation and Harbaugh has left for the NFL, Michigan will vacate all wins over the past 3 years and future post season ban for atleast a min 3 years. Can't reward cheaters..
      01-04-2024, 10:46 PM   #176
DriftinG Z32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 and Madza RX7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeTE87 View Post
I agree with the above "Bama did Mich a favor" comment. I feel UGA would have steam rolled over Michigan again.

No matter what Michigan does on Monday...in a few months, after the investigation and Harbaugh has left for the NFL, Michigan will vacate all wins over the past 3 years and future post season ban for at least a min 3 years. Can't reward cheaters...
Just like the NCAA to try and get me to believe what I saw with my eyes didn't really happen...Reggie Bush was that guy and deserved his awards...what a farce man...
Appreciate 0