BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Blue/Tan Nav/M/HK

Exclamation 1st oil change at 28K! - should I be worried?

Hello, I just purchased a 2012 135i with 28K miles on it. I took it to the BMW dealer and pulled up the service history. It appears that the 1st oil change was done at 28K! Usually 1st change should be done around 14K.

Should I be worried about this? I am planning to keep this car for long. But worried about damage to engine.

Thanks in advance (noob to 1 series & BMW overall)
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
mtowle182
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'm no expert by any means but aren't the first oil changes the most important for the engine? I'm not sure what damage(if any) would occur if it misses the early interval.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigsMeister View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 2012 135i with 28K miles on it. I took it to the BMW dealer and pulled up the service history. It appears that the 1st oil change was done at 28K! Usually 1st change should be done around 14K.

Should I be worried about this? I am planning to keep this car for long. But worried about damage to engine.

Did you look under the fill cap? I would think there would be sludge evident if 28K was the first oil change. Maybe the previous owner changed their own oil?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

I think no damage. Car is a 2012; its under free maintenance-BMW dealer should have changed the oil in 2013 (after 1 year in service) or earlier if onboard CBS says to. Suggest your car was likely used a lot on highway, hence CBS let it go this long. Most of us with new cars get the free once a year BMW dealer oil change then do a second ourselves 6 months later. Oil changes are not too difficult.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #5
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Quote:

Need a lot more info. Where/from who did you purchase the car? Were they the first owner? Have you asked them what's up? Do you have a Carfax?

It's possible, although not likely, someone else changed the oil, even though BMW provides free maintenance. Maybe they lived too far from a dealer?

Of course, the question is, if the first oil change was at 28K, what would you do about it?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #6
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Ok here are pictures of the oil cap. lots of sludge on the outside but engine appears to look clean inside?

This cars was sold in Seattle originally and driven for 2 years, and eventually transferred to Southern California for me. Purchased through CarMax.

I will obtain the CarFax tomorrow and also have CarMax do another inspection.

Oh btw, I picked up my car last Friday evening and drove it home... Saturday morning I noticed a coolant leak (blue) on my garage! Not even a day! ... Took it to BMW dealer since its still under warranty. It was fixed and turned out to be the headlamp washer fluid. They replaced the nozzle and pump. This is where I found out about the 1st engine oil change.

I just received the car today and absolutely love the looks and the drive. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Two-Tone Leather Tan interior (with black). M Pkg/Prem Pkg/Harman Kardon Sound.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Here are the pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

moral of this story... don't buy a car from Carmax. lol Seriously... I was going to say the owner could have been changing his oil on his own or going to an indo shop. But that sludge on the oil cap is worrying. IF I were you... and you still intend to keep the car for a long time... I would pull the valve cover off the engine and have a look. Or maybe you could borrow one of the endoscope/cameras and have a look thru the oil cap.

In the very least, I would change the oil a few times(two or three times) in the next thousand miles to purge all the sludge crap in the engine. Be sure to change the oil filter and use a BMW bought filter with LL1 approved oil.

And buy a new oil cap, bc a pooly sealing oil cap can cause a vacuum leak and rough idle. Its not that much for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 06:35 AM   #9
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

I don't see any sludge build-up in your engine, which is a good thing, but I agree with Dack, I would change the oil a couple of times in the next 1-2,000 miles to make sure the engine is cleaned.

What does the oil filter and area around it look like?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Awesome thanks for the advice.

The engine is squeaky clean since carmax cleans them so they look nice. It's hard to know how it looked like before.

Where should I look at or what should I open and take pictures of?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

On your next oil change take a close look at the inside folds of the oil filter. Also see if there is anything inside the oil filter housing. (it should be clean).

IF you really wanted to dissect you old oil filter you could cut it apart like this... clean oil flows from the inside to the outside of the filter.
Name:  OILFILTER104_04701.jpg
Views: 1490
Size:  170.0 KB

You do not want your filter looking like this sludge horror...
Name:  oil filter sludge.jpg
Views: 3569
Size:  73.3 KB

PS: also do not use any engine oil cleaners or additives. Just change the engine oil a few times in a short mileage interval.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Awesome thanks for the advice.

The engine is squeaky clean since carmax cleans them so they look nice. It's hard to know how it looked like before.

Wrong side of the engine.
      09-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Ok, I'll keep you guys posted, they are going to do another full inspection and also look inside the engine for sludge build-up.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
Miko226
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' 335d

Yes i would be a little worried if there is any liquid oil left in the car. Do a few short interval oil changes and you should clean the engine out.

08' n54 135i FBO E85 - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
SigsMeister
United_States
Rep

Ok, they did an inspection with the camera inside the engine, no sludge build-up. They did find some other transmission leak and its going back to the bmw shop.

Oh and btw, the AC panel went out today morning, completely, not a single button was working! Its repaired now, apparently a blown fuse ... WTH!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #16
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i'd consider returning the car to Carmax. they have some sort of return policy right?

IMO the maintenance history should have been the FIRST thing you looked at when buying a used car. Because you didn't-----you may get stuck with some issues further down the line that can't be fixed no matter what you do now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #17
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
i'd consider returning the car to Carmax. they have some sort of return policy right?

IMO the maintenance history should have been the FIRST thing you looked at when buying a used car. Because you didn't-----you may get stuck with some issues further down the line that can't be fixed no matter what you do now.
They have a 5 day no questions asked return policy. I'd look into it. Plus, doesn't every carmax car come with a free carfax, clickable even through the website? So, didn't it have some service info on there most likely? Or if not, always good to take the key to a BMW dealer to GET a full service history.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #18
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

I believe I would have looked at the service history before I bought the car. While extended oil intervals are OK, 28K is over doing it. In general, BMW & MB along with most of the industry now recommends oil changes every 10K or once a year whatever comes first.

Actually the problem really isn't the oil but the filter. Oil can be used well beyond 10K if the filter is changed.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #19
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post

Actually the problem really isn't the oil but the filter. Oil can be used well beyond 10K if the filter is changed.
You got that backwards. Quite often an oil filter can outlast the oil. In fact, Honda recommends replacing the oil filter every other oil change on many of their models. Good synthetic media oil filters can go 15,000 miles between changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
DSSG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M Sport

Post Oh balderdash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
You got that backwards. Quite often an oil filter can outlast the oil. In fact, Honda recommends replacing the oil filter every other oil change on many of their models. Good synthetic media oil filters can go 15,000 miles between changes.
How do I have it backwards? At 15K, Honda recommends changing the filter not the oil. Today 15K is becoming the standard service interval for oil and filter service. If it were a BMW, the dealer would change both just because it is the traditional thing to do. In reality, the BMW dealer is giving your engine unnecessary service when all he would really need to do is change the filter.

There is nothing wrong with extended oil changes with modern lubricants. Oil doesn't break down over time. The problem is the build up of contaminants over relatively short intervals. If the lubrication system can effectively remove them, oil can be used almost indefinitely.

I suspect BMW would like to do what Honda is doing or change just the filter every service interval and the oil every second. The problem would be all the gear heads would be screaming about the company trying to destroy their engines to make money selling parts or some such nonsense.

If you read car forums, you find a group of people who want to flush and refill everything imaginable. The third member never needs any service assuming it was properly filled by the factory. The same is true for manual gear boxes. They aren't subjected to the products of contamination that an engine is. About the only problem they have is moisture which is dissipated on warm up. Also they are filled with synthetic lubricants.

Makers today are taking advantage of great advances in engine and lubrication technology to build products that require less attention by consumers. Take for example, that yellow colored radiator coolant. That's a long life coolant that designed to protect the aluminum parts of your engine and give a long life service usually 5+ years. Even brake fluid doesn't usually needs to be changed depending upon its level of moisture. Some brake fluids aren't affected by moisture.

There is on item that may need attention, and that is automatic transmission. The problem here is depending upon internal wear it may need a filter and oil change.

I figure most of you will never keep the car long enough to really concern yourselves about all this flushing and refilling. I keep vehicles at least 10 years, so I am concerned about NECESSARY service to prevent expensive repairs.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #21
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
How do I have it backwards? At 15K, Honda recommends changing the filter not the oil. Today 15K is becoming the standard service interval for oil and filter service. If it were a BMW, the dealer would change both just because it is the traditional thing to do. In reality, the BMW dealer is giving your engine unnecessary service when all he would really need to do is change the filter.

There is nothing wrong with extended oil changes with modern lubricants. Oil doesn't break down over time. The problem is the build up of contaminants over relatively short intervals. If the lubrication system can effectively remove them, oil can be used almost indefinitely.

I suspect BMW would like to do what Honda is doing or change just the filter every service interval and the oil every second. The problem would be all the gear heads would be screaming about the company trying to destroy their engines to make money selling parts or some such nonsense.

If you read car forums, you find a group of people who want to flush and refill everything imaginable. The third member never needs any service assuming it was properly filled by the factory. The same is true for manual gear boxes. They aren't subjected to the products of contamination that an engine is. About the only problem they have is moisture which is dissipated on warm up. Also they are filled with synthetic lubricants.

Makers today are taking advantage of great advances in engine and lubrication technology to build products that require less attention by consumers. Take for example, that yellow colored radiator coolant. That's a long life coolant that designed to protect the aluminum parts of your engine and give a long life service usually 5+ years. Even brake fluid doesn't usually needs to be changed depending upon its level of moisture. Some brake fluids aren't affected by moisture.

There is on item that may need attention, and that is automatic transmission. The problem here is depending upon internal wear it may need a filter and oil change.

I figure most of you will never keep the car long enough to really concern yourselves about all this flushing and refilling. I keep vehicles at least 10 years, so I am concerned about NECESSARY service to prevent expensive repairs.
Like I said you have it backwards. Honda recommends you just change the oil and leave the filter in. Two oil changes, one filter change.

Also, the base oil does not break down, but the additives do break down. You need to change the oil when the additives break down (TBN <1.0 and TAN >> TBN).

And by the way, I plan on keeping my car 10 years or more.

Last edited by Iron Man; 09-11-2014 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:59 PM   #22
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Goes to show don't trust CarFax. They had my Speed 6 as airbag deployed and needed a tow when I had a low speed fender bender that was all of $1200 damage on my car. New front bumper cover, license plate bracket and a buff of the headlight fixed it. Dealer pulled the Carfax and said my car was unsellable and low balled me when I went to trade it in. I showed them the pics I took of the damage. Damn NC cop checked too many boxes on the accident report. Hell, I drove it from Charlotte to Sebring and back to OH with the damage and both headlights functional.

Oh, and good luck with the oil. First thing I do is ask for the service history from the dealer. I questioned the BMW dealer I bought mine from and they said it had all maintenance performed. It didn't. So much for CPO.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0