E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > TMAP sensor voltages - Asking for a favor via some of your time.

12-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

TMAP sensor voltages - Asking for a favor via some of your time.

Asking for a favor via some of your time.

Can someone please check their stock or 3.5 bar tmap sensor voltages at the harness where it connects to the tmap sensor with a multimeter and report back the voltages of the yellow wire, yellow/blue wire, and yellow/red wire?

I am trying to diagnose why my car throws a 2abc fault code, which triggers the 1/2 engine light, with the 3.5 bar sensor upon initial startup, but the 2abc code and 1/2 engine light go away after immediately restarting the car and then the car runs normal.

I have checked continuity and voltage at the dme and harness. All wires have good continuity from dme to harness to include the ground. The yellow wire and yellow/blue wire show ~5.03v while the yellow/red wire which is the temperature sensor shows ~3.5V. These readings are with the ignition on, but car not started yet.

I have changed out the 3.5 bar sensor once already. I am running IJEOS MHD flash tune only with custom tune with voltage scaling adjusted in the tune and have the 3.5 bar option checked in MHD.

Curious if the above voltages are normal for the stock sensor and others using the 3.5 bar sensor.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can provide voltage info or has any other ideas on how to possibly resolve.

Last edited by Raptor04; 12-06-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
mj6234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Out of curiousity, do you live at elevation somewhere? Who tuned your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
Raptor04
Major
Rep

Yes, 5k elevation. Tuner thinks its hardware since we've adjusted the voltages. I've seen some posts from years ago where others had this issue but never saw a resolution or instructions on how to code out the fault.
      12-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Raptor04
Major
Rep

Appears the fault code reappears everytime the dme ecu resets.
      12-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
mj6234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I havent had to deal with it myself, but I believe 2ABC is when the MAP sensor voltage is out of range (min/max). If it is happening on startup, wonder if the MAP Min Voltage needs to be reduced. I think the MAP scaling should probably be revised as well, but I doubt that is causing it on startup. Can you pull the voltage at idle from the MAP and see what it is? My stock value on IJE0S is 1.03V. Not sure if your tune is locked or not, but your tuner should be able to confirm the value.

From this link, on a 0-5V MAP, 1.1V or so is normal at idle. Wonder with the scaling of the sensor and your elevation you are sometimes being pushed below that.

https://www.fastfieros.com/tech/map_..._they_work.htm

I'd be pretty suspicious that this is not a sensor/hardware issue.

Last edited by mj6234; 12-06-2020 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Corrections
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #6
RSL
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M3 (Retired) / 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
I have changed out the 3.5 bar sensor once already. I am running IJEOS MHD flash tune only with custom tune with voltage scaling adjusted in the tune and have the 3.5 bar option checked in MHD.
When you check 3.5 bar in flash time options, it writes MHD's values. To use custom values in a bin, flash it with the MAP option set to stock.

Edit: by scaling, do you mean the normal 2 column conversion set for 3.5 bar or the 3 column scaling logic?

Last edited by RSL; 12-06-2020 at 10:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #7
Raptor04
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
When you check 3.5 bar in flash time options, it writes MHD's values. To use custom values in a bin, flash it with the MAP option set to stock.

Edit: by scaling, do you mean the normal 2 column conversion set for 3.5 bar or the 3 column scaling logic?

Tried every combo of the custom map and mhd tmap options....stock, 3.5 bar, and 4 bar settings. Nothing helped. Also tried a stock map with just voltages adjusted and also didn't help.

Using the stock map with 3.5 bar sensor, I can't clear the fault code at all. Using the custom tune, I still get the error but can clear them and restart the car and it runs normal. Or I can just restart the car without clearing errors and it runs normal.

Its something happening when the dme goes to sleep or is reset that trips the fault code.
      03-28-2024, 05:54 PM   #8
_bosue
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‘07 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor04 View Post
Tried every combo of the custom map and mhd tmap options....stock, 3.5 bar, and 4 bar settings. Nothing helped. Also tried a stock map with just voltages adjusted and also didn't help.

Using the stock map with 3.5 bar sensor, I can't clear the fault code at all. Using the custom tune, I still get the error but can clear them and restart the car and it runs normal. Or I can just restart the car without clearing errors and it runs normal.

Its something happening when the dme goes to sleep or is reset that trips the fault code.
Were you able to resolve the issue. I’ve following all your threads on the subject and believe we have the same exact problem. Was your tuner able to code it out or did it end up being a sensor/hardware issue.
Appreciate 0