E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > New Product Idea: Need Feedback!

02-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
zmastaz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB BMW M3

New Product Idea: Need Feedback!

First off, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. This is a patent pending idea that has been hanging in my garage for seven years and now we are finally moving forward with actually bringing it out on the market hopefully in the near future.

It's called a Dent Shield. Essentially, it's going to be sold two ways; one way so that it hangs from your ceiling and moves around or it will come with 3M on the back and it can stick to a wall. The concept is simple: you slam one car door into the other as hard as you possibly can and it won't dent the other car or your car. It's perfect for tight garages or if you have kids as passengers and you want a little extra protection. The price point is up in the air at this point; hopefully, it will range from 20-35 dollars shipped to your door. The first video is a camera video of just stationary; but, I also made one of pulling into the garage so you can see how easy it would be to get out of the car without worrying about denting the other car.

So please give me both positive and negative feedback! I'm interested in hearing about what you guys think. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback thus far from other people, but I would like unbiased feedback.

Thanks guys!

P.S. If anyone is interested in this product from the selling standpoint; we are in the beginning phases of finding someone to essentially fund or throttle the product in the market. So please feel free to PM me to talk about the product or if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Something hanging from the ceiling isn't very appealing.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmastaz View Post
First off, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything. This is a patent pending idea that has been hanging in my garage for seven years and now we are finally moving forward with actually bringing it out on the market hopefully in the near future.

It's called a Dent Shield. Essentially, it's going to be sold two ways; one way so that it hangs from your ceiling and moves around or it will come with 3M on the back and it can stick to a wall. The concept is simple: you slam one car door into the other as hard as you possibly can and it won't dent the other car or your car. It's perfect for tight garages or if you have kids as passengers and you want a little extra protection. The price point is up in the air at this point; hopefully, it will range from 20-35 dollars shipped to your door. The first video is a camera video of just stationary; but, I also made one of pulling into the garage so you can see how easy it would be to get out of the car without worrying about denting the other car.

So please give me both positive and negative feedback! I'm interested in hearing about what you guys think. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback thus far from other people, but I would like unbiased feedback.

Thanks guys!

P.S. If anyone is interested in this product from the selling standpoint; we are in the beginning phases of finding someone to essentially fund or throttle the product in the market. So please feel free to PM me to talk about the product or if you have any questions.
You should pitch the idea to Shark Tank. Robert C (forgot his last name) is a total car guy and I bet he would give you money to partner in on this. He could or any shark could get this produced and more importantly placed in national stores wayyyy faster than you ever could. Its a legit way to launch a product such as this.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
zmastaz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
We are actually working on a way so that it can sit on the floor as well. The shield that sticks on the wall is the version I feel would sell the most anyways, possibly.

As far as pitching it on a TV show, I have been in contact with a couple of companies who do exactly what those guys do. I'm just interested to see what people think about it in general at this point.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I just drive one car in nose first and my toy ass in first ,,, doors never have meet

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #6
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

I like the idea of something that would attach to the wall. The hanging from the ceiling bit I don't find very appealing.

However, how are you going to compete against someone double-sided taping a piece of foam onto their wall?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
I like the idea of something that would attach to the wall. The hanging from the ceiling bit I don't find very appealing.

However, how are you going to compete against someone double-sided taping a piece of foam onto their wall?
I was thinking the same thing.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I have two items hanging from the ceiling

0one my bike and second my lawn-chaise.

My cars don't mind and it saves space in the garage

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Perhaps you could have it on a pulley attached to the garaged door so that it comes down when the garage door opens and goes back up when it's closed.
I want 15% of the revenues if this idea is used, haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #10
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E93 BMW M3 MR/21 X7 40i AW

Idea is good..I know I would be interested in this sort of product if done right.

Few quick initial thoughts:
-not that aesthetically pleasing and maybe that's where I'd concentrate your efforts--esp hanging from ceiling--floor standing may be little better but still would prob look little awkward
--maybe some designs would help--or better yet could couple with some parking
aids and even make it pop up or out or something somehow
-what exactly is the material?--although may save dents, looks like probably causes scratches
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Chris M4CS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M4CS

Honestly, it looks like California Car Cover Company sells one very similar to yours and I have seen other products of this type, so I'm not sure there would be much of a market for it. Probably would depend on marketing.

http://www.calcarcover.com/product/9/172/Hanging_Garage_Pad

My problem is that I need or would like something to protect my car from dings in public places and that won't get stollen. Not really worried about my own garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'll put it right next to my jump to conclusions mat.

*good idea btw.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
zmastaz
Private
Rep

I appreciate everyone's comments. As far as the hanging aspect of the product, I feel as though it is viable for some people who have small garages such as a situation as my own. As I said earlier in the post, I feel as though the shield that has 3M on the back that sticks to the wall will sell much more as it is much more convenient to put up.

As far as the aesthetics go, I have paid for a very sexy logo to be designed that will be 12 x 12 that will go on both sides of the shield. I think that's definitely where marketing comes into play. I have seen products that have thrived not because of how well they work; but, because of the way they look and the way they appeal to the consumer's mind.

What I would say to someone who put foam on their wall is that if our product is 19.99-24.99 which I hope it will be; it will last longer, its made out of a higher quality material, and I'm hoping it will look sexy enough that you will enjoy slamming your car door into it.

Also, to reiterate the products you guys are posting may work in a conventional manor; however, skins333 brought up a great point in the fact that they have to look awesome too, and these products also lack the marketing luster that would catch the public's eye.
Appreciate 0