E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Another Delta plane got its tail clipped by a larger plane

07-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Another Delta plane got its tail clipped by a larger plane

This time, the biggest plane is a 767 and it's also a Delta plane. Almost the same exact same hit as the A380 accident.

Two Delta-branded aircraft collided last night on taxiways at Boston Logan, causing serious damage to both aircraft, The Associated Press reports. Only one minor injury was reported, according to ABC News.

Pictures and video from the scene appear to show significant damage to both jets, one a Delta Air Lines Boeing 767 and the other a Bombardier CRJ-900 regional jet operated by Delta affiliate Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA).

The Associated Press writes "Federal Aviation Administration investigators are taking a more detailed look at the two jets Friday after the wing of a large moving passenger jet clipped the tail of a smaller stationary aircraft on a taxiway Thursday. Both were taken out of service."

VIDEO ARCHIVES: Air France A380 spins Delta regional jet in JFK collision (April 12, 2011)

The Boston Herald describes the scene, saying "the left wing of … (the) 767 apparently collided with the tail section of a smaller ASA jet, also operated by Delta, that sustained major damage to the tail fin and horizontal stabilizer, officials said."

Images from the various media outlets covering the story show what appear to be a significant tear in the regional jet's tail section, with the 767 wing appearing to have nearly sliced through it. The wing tip of the 767 -- complete with its winglet -- appears to have shorn off in the process and become embedded in the tail section of the regional jet.

One passenger complained of neck pain , but no other serious injuries were reported, according to NYCAviation.com.

The flights involved in the incident were Delta Flight 266 -- the 767, which was bound for Amsterdam -- and Delta Flight 4904 -- the ASA regional jet, which was bound for Raleigh-Durham. There were 215 passengers and crew on the 767 and 77 passengers and crew on the regional jet, according to The Boston Globe.

The 767 was able to return to the terminal under its own power, but the regional jet had to be towed, according to MyFoxBoston. Passengers on the regional jet were bused back to the terminal.

The Globe says "the planes were on taxiways that run nearly perpendicular to each other. The larger plane was moving; the Atlantic Southeast flight was stationary."

"I saw it coming," Jacob Crane, a passenger on the 767, says to the Herald. "We were taxiing pretty quick. I saw the wing and I said, 'We're not going to clear that.' It was like, oh, they hit, and that was that."

"It was generally pretty calm but there were some people ... a Russian guy was grabbing for the emergency exit," Crane, 30, of Atlanta, continues to the Herald. "But it was like no big deal. Nobody was hurt. There was a girl next to me that started crying and bawling but everybody else was pretty calm."

Dawn Ray, a passenger on the regional jet, had a slightly different experience judging by her comments to ABC News.

"There were a lot of people freaking out, the girl next to me was crying and screaming," Ray says to ABC. "It was terrifying -- everyone at once said, 'what happened?'"

Thursday's incident evoked memories of an April incident at New York JFK, where an Air France A380 superjumbo jet clipped the tail of a Delta-branded regional jet. The collision sent the regional jet into a short-but-dramatic spin, and the video of the incident quickly went viral on the Internet.

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...delta/177084/1
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
"I saw it coming," Jacob Crane, a passenger on the 767, says to the Herald. "We were taxiing pretty quick. I saw the wing and I said, 'We're not going to clear that.' It was like, oh, they hit, and that was that."

"It was generally pretty calm but there were some people ... a Russian guy was grabbing for the emergency exit," Crane, 30, of Atlanta, continues to the Herald. "But it was like no big deal. Nobody was hurt. There was a girl next to me that started crying and bawling but everybody else was pretty calm."

Dawn Ray, a passenger on the regional jet, had a slightly different experience judging by her comments to ABC News.

"There were a lot of people freaking out, the girl next to me was crying and screaming," Ray says to ABC. "It was terrifying -- everyone at once said, 'what happened?'"
That has got to be one of the best highlights of the difference between males and females that I've ever seen.

guy: 'eh we got hit, not much reaction from anyone'
girl: 'HOLY SHIT WE ALL THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO DIE
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
That has got to be one of the best highlights of the difference between males and females that I've ever seen.

guy: 'eh we got hit, not much reaction from anyone'
girl: 'HOLY SHIT WE ALL THOUGHT WE WERE GOING TO DIE
but the girl was in the smaller plane though. The part about the russian guy going for the emergency exit is pretty funny too.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

Quote:
but the girl was in the smaller plane though. The part about the russian guy going for the emergency exit is pretty funny too.

good call I missed that transition.

I think I would have done exactly what the russian guy did. Plane gets hit, immediate reaction is to go for that door and get the hell outta there.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

pics?
      07-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
pics?
http://www.myfoxboston.com/gallery/n...-logan-airport

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

How hard is it to see a GODDAMN plane in the way. Pilots must be getting BJ's
      07-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

..soooo....

dey screwed lol

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Negative ghost rider.

Quote:

Mr. Crane was on the 767 with the girl crying. If you keep reading, the next interviewee on the smaller plane said a girl on that plane was screaming as well.

So basically what we have here is a situation of two bitches freaking out on separate planes.
      07-16-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

it's not been a good year for DL runway incursions.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
So basically what we have here is a situation of two bitches freaking out on separate planes.
Just two?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Plane on plane violence.