E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New guy. New to me bmw. new problems.

03-16-2024, 10:23 PM   #1
shadowwulf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325CI

New guy. New to me bmw. new problems.

1st post here. Looking for some guidance. Ill admit im not the sharpest tool in the shed but ive got professional experience for the past 25 years working at domestic dealerships as a tech. Ive got my ASEs plus factory certs. So at least i can confidently say i know something. Not alot but something. Ive got a 2006 325ci with the 2.5 and 5 speed, so i hope im posting in the right place. To gove some background I suffered a accident at home and am currently disabled so unable to work basically. Ive always wrenched on my cars but a couple weeks ago i developed a horrible miss and check engine light. i had p0171 and p0174. After eliminating the usual suspects i checked compression and found 3 cylinders with low compression. I handed the car to a buddy who owns a shop and he went ahead and did the head refresh for me and fixed a timing chain issue
The car runs beautifully now. However after 25 miles of driving the MIL came back. Now i have p2096 and p2097. both banks reporting lean. This car was given to me due to some hard times I was facing after the accident. The previous owners put straight pipes from the header all the way to the tail pipes. Im curious if anyone running modified cars jas come across this or any ideas of where to start (checking for cat issues makes no sense cause it has none) the downstream 02 sensor has thw threaded extension moving it out of the steam. 2nd problem is the AC blower is inop. If i manually spin the motor while it powered on it begins to work. As soon as i shut off the key it stops. Also with the key off and out of the car at the body aide harness at the blower motor connector i have 12 volts constantly. Im willing to put the work in to diagnose but ot is hard on me now and i was just looking for like cases to have a place to start looking for each problem before I go in guns blazing and regret it later. Thanks in advance and its nice to meet you all. Also when ordering parts it seems 2006 falls into an odd year. is it a n54 or n90? are parts interchangeable between 2005 and older cars? Just trying to figure out what I own. I am far from a BMW expert obviously
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

2006 325ci. That's telling me it's an E46 car. Thinking it's an M54B25 engine. This is an E90, E91, E93, N52... Forum.

But about those codes I'd clean your sensors first. MAF, O2, Vanos solenoids. I know you don't have cats but the 02 sensors can still get fouled.

When you look for DIY videos I'd search for "E46 vanos solenoid cleaning) or" E46 B25 vanos solenoid cleaning" etc...

Best of luck!
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 09:24 PM   #3
shadowwulf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325CI

Thank you for the help. Some places list the e46 to 2005 while others to 2006. Its confusing especially looking for parts. At least now its verified what I own. Looks like im gonna have to put in the work and do the diag.

While cleaning out the blower resistor connector yesterday for heavy green corrosion I had the battery disconnected for an extended period after i went in an cleared codes. My MIL went away and the car is running good. My miles per gallon digital readout used to be slow as molasses to respond and go any higher than 17 mpg. Today all day its been quickly adapting and now im at 19.8. Wondering if they never disconnected the battery and did the work and cleared codes. Now the fuel trim maps reset and its finally working as designed. Anyways, I appreciate your time and help. Ill find the appropriate forum for my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:31 AM   #4
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Yeah no problem. The confusion can be blamed on BMW. My car is a 2006 model with a production date of 2005. They release a new 3 series sedan first but keep producing previous generation coupes, convertibles and M cars for another year or two.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0