E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Keyboards...

05-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Keyboards...

Just ordered one of these keyboards. I know, I know this keyboard doesn't seem anything special. And this probably won't mean anything to the really young guys on here. But it's a keyboard by Unicomp. Unicomp is the company that bought out the licensing rights to manufacturer the old-style IBM M keyboards from IBM/Lexmark. They still make keyboards on the same machines as they did way back in the day.

For those who aren't in the know...these keyboards have the mechanical switches. These type a lot better than the current generation of crappy membrane keyboards. If you recall...the old IBM keyboards were built like tanks and had a very solid clickey sound and action to them. Very cool...

I could have bought a used IBM M keyboard on e-bay...but I didn't want to spend several hours cleaning someone else's old gunky/gross keyboard.

Did some shopping on forums for serious keyboards...seems like some people are really into their keyboards. Several admit to buying several keyboards to stockpile...just in case they don't make them anymore. Here are a couple names to search for if you are interested:

-SteelSeries 7G (more setup for gaming...mechanical switches but with anti-ghosting tech)
-Das Keyboard (cool keyboard with no labels on them)
-iOne Scorpius M-10 (made in China...replica of the IBM M keyboard...but apparently has some build quality issues).
-Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 (imported from Japan...$$$)
-Filco (imported from Japan...$$$)

Both Filco and HHKP2 seem to be considered the best. However, they seem to be pretty damn pricey. This Unicomp one is only $69. Should last 20 years...or a 100. I'll post a review once I get it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Welcome to the new age where keyboards have LCDs for keys =]

Just messin with you man but this is the sickest keyboard.. Its like $1,500 or something around there

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Logitech G15 > Steel Series for gaming tbh. Old style IBM keyboards are the best for general use though and the noise is great. Das Keyboard is for uber geeks only. I spend most of my day in front of a keyboard and I highly doubt I could use the Das Keyboard, especially if I want a symbol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

are you talking about the keyboard with no paint on the keys? that would be so gangsta. and impossible.
________
Yamaha TT600
________
Honda XL75
________
Digital Vaporizer
________
Hot_Naomi live
________
Vaporizer Info

Last edited by satakal; 09-13-2011 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
AJerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

A keyboard like that slows me down too much. I type very fast (over 100 WPM) since I work in IT, and I like short keys. I do like the old style, but the travel is too much to push down and it just slows you down more. Typing is more accurate on it though since it's got a solid feel, but I typically don't really have a problem with that.
      05-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJerman View Post
A keyboard like that slows me down too much. I type very fast (over 100 WPM) since I work in IT, and I like short keys. I do like the old style, but the travel is too much to push down and it just slows you down more. Typing is more accurate on it though since it's got a solid feel, but I typically don't really have a problem with that.
+1. I am a Unix admin, and for those not in the know, it is ALOT of text terminals and endless commands. I bought a new apple aluminum keyboard, and i have to tell you, I'm lightning fast on that thing! While i used to be a HUGE fan on old clunky IBM keyboards, there was time for me to move on onto bigger and better things.
      05-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I've have the Das Keyboard and love it. Very comfortable to type on, and I can get some seriously fast typing going when I get in a groove.

And yes, it helps to know where all keys are. The first time my wife sat down in front of it made for a funny memory.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefald View Post
+1. I am a Unix admin, and for those not in the know, it is ALOT of text terminals and endless commands. I bought a new apple aluminum keyboard, and i have to tell you, I'm lightning fast on that thing! While i used to be a HUGE fan on old clunky IBM keyboards, there was time for me to move on onto bigger and better things.
lol, I on the other hand can't type for s*** on that thing.

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #9
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
are you talking about the keyboard with no paint on the keys? that would be so gangsta. and impossible.
Yes the Das Keyboard has no labels on the keys. Basically it's a keyboard that's been....murdered out...

Would be even more obscure if you used Dvorak instead of standard QWERTY...almost nobody would know how to even login to your computer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0