E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > US law - guarantee and replacement obligation

02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

US law - guarantee and replacement obligation

Hey,

I bought some "super perfect fit" DP's for a lot of bucks. After 5 wasted tries of alignment and 2 people who took a look on the DP's to ensure that the DP's have to be replaced, I need to send them back to get new ones.

Now the question. In case of a replacement because the pipes do have faults, is a company in the US bound to pay the shipping costs?

Because in Europe a company is bound to pay all additional charges which will come up with the replacement at guarantee.

Best,
Lux3m35i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux3m35i View Post
Now the question. In case of a replacement because the pipes do have faults, is a company in the US bound to pay the shipping costs?
Why would they? They aren't bound to do anything, unless it's specifically stated in their terms and conditions of sale and/or regulated for these specific products.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Lux3m35i
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

I don't know the US laws, therefore I'm asking.

In Europe they are bound to pay the additional fees and why not.. If a manufacturer mess it up and delivers faulty products, why should the costumer pay the shipping costs which will occur because of the manufacturer's fault?

But okay if you say they aren't bound to pay the costs according to law there is nothing to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Policies on return shipping fall on the store but most of them will refund the shipping if the product is defective/broken or the wrong thing is sent. If you just decide that you don't want the item anymore then you will usually have to pay the shipping.

A lot of times if they are going to refund the shipping you will still have to pay for it initially, then prove the cost of the shipping, then receive a refund for that amount.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Yeah it depend on the company and their policies. Most make you pay to return unless they send you an RMA with a shipping label. Obviously the better company pay the return shipping and the ones who are interesting in future business from your. However, there is no specific US law say they must cover all costs to return/replace something. Each state may having something. If you and the company are not in the same state that will not help you.
Appreciate 0