E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > how many people drive with DTC and/or DSC off?

11-26-2014, 02:29 AM   #45
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
TIMYOYO ...
I think "YOYO" is you're on your own, but I don't know what the "TIM" is. Help?

I know what AMYOYO is.

All the best and TY in advance.

Edit:
Nevermind...Ii see the t-shirt above now...TIM and AM are substantively the same things. Sorry to bother you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 02:32 AM   #46
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I think "YOYO" is you're on your own, but I don't know what the "TIM" is. Help?

I know what AMYOYO is.

All the best and TY in advance.
See Tee Shirt pic above... explains all

LOL I should have read the rest of ur post before answering
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 02:52 AM   #47
Roman00
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

This seems to explain it pretty well

Full Dynamic Stability Control - default mode DSC.
In this mode the brakes are appllied at any wheel, and the engine power is contolled (ie shut off) in order to bring the car back into line. If the car senses a spin is about to happen, the engine power is cut momentarily and the brakes are applied any any individual wheel to cause an offset force to straighten the car out and bring it back under control.

Dynamic Traction Control DTC - Press the button momentarily.
This mode is DSC 'light'. It can still reduce power or apply brakes to any wheel, however it will allow some wheel slippage and assumes it is due to road conditions (gravel, snow, mud, ice or rain). This is simply a software program change to DSC, with some of the stability parameters modified from the default.

DSC/DTC Off (hold the button for 5 seconds).
This is 'E-Diff' mode. The computer is reduced to only attempting to limit a spinning rear wheel by applying the brake to that wheel. In this mode, the engine is not controlled, nor are the front brakes activated. It is not really an E-Diff at all. It is just called that, to sound special. If the car is about to flip over, in this mode it will not try and save the car by cutting engine power. If it is about to do a 360 - it doesn't care - the computer is only monitoring rear wheel spin. This is our TIM YOYO mode.

So in another words

DSC = Safe
DTC = Fun
Off = Scary
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2014, 03:00 AM   #48
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Nice one Romes

Anyone know how to code to make dash read "FUN" instead of DTC ??? (joke)
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #49
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Forgot to mention. All of the above settings are referring to rear wheel slip and limiting power to the rear wheels when attempting to apply more throttle.

The E-diff cannot be disabled at any time.

ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is where the car applies the brakes to different wheels in order to avoid the car spinning when swerving at high speeds. This is a function of the traction control and most likely active when DSC and DTC are enabled but turned off when all TCs are turned off.
Hey Alex,

The e-LSD has done an adequate job for me and I actually quite like it.

My question is, how does the e-LSD operate once you put an LSD in? As both wheels will now be spinning equally, how does the e-LSD adapt around this?

This is obviously in the cases that DTC is active.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #50
harms
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
My question is, how does the e-LSD operate once you put an LSD in? As both wheels will now be spinning equally, how does the e-LSD adapt around this?
My guess is that it would work as it is designed to. If both wheels spinning equally, it will do nothing. If one does spin more, such as if 1 wheel lifts off the ground and you have a non-Clutch type diff, then it might kick in and do its job.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 10:24 PM   #51
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
Forgot to mention. All of the above settings are referring to rear wheel slip and limiting power to the rear wheels when attempting to apply more throttle.

The E-diff cannot be disabled at any time.

ESP (Electronic Stability Program) is where the car applies the brakes to different wheels in order to avoid the car spinning when swerving at high speeds. This is a function of the traction control and most likely active when DSC and DTC are enabled but turned off when all TCs are turned off.
Hey Alex,

The e-LSD has done an adequate job for me and I actually quite like it.

This is obviously in the cases that DTC is active.
Yeah the e-diff isn't bad. To be honest, if you like getting the tail to swing out easily, then the e-diff is better for that. With a mechanical LSD, when you accelerate around a corner and normally the tail swings, instead it kind of just grips and you turn the corner faster lol. Obviously if you really push it it will still swing out, but it just takes more. It is supposedly better at the limit, but I haven't had too much experience with proper drifting with the e-diff vs the M3 LSD to be able to give you an honest answer.

But yeah, as harms said, most likely because the mechanical LSD will do its magic first, there won't be a need for the e-diff to engage the inside wheel brakes as you're not going to get the inside wheel spinning faster than the outside wheel.
      11-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #52
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
I always drive with the DSC off. The increase response the car exhibits is slight when driving in a straight direction. Add some nice turns in the road and you can feel the difference. No more cutting power when I take 30 mph corners at 60.