E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing > Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim Discussion

11-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim Discussion

If you don't own this game, you need to go out and get it. It's one of those "once in a decade" games that is a must have. I played Oblivion but none of the Elder Scrolls before it. To be quite honest, Oblivion was a fantastic game but had it's flaws....mainly the leveling system. Skyrim has completely done away with the leveling system of Oblivion (search efficient leveling if you don't know what I'm talking about). Now you can play the game any way you want and not have to worry about leveling up too fast with too few points. If you want to be a one-handed sword who cast destruction spells then have at it! They made it simplier with the leveling system. No longer do you pick int, str, agility, etc. when leveling, now just simply health, magika, and stamina. You also get 1 skill point to use in any "tree" that you wish. This makes you able to play any style you want. Oh, I almost forgot.....they put finishing moves in the game (Fallout 3 style). I'm not sure so far if they are going to annoy me later on, they don't happen too frequently IMO. I think they did "dumb" the game down some. Crafting like Smithing now includes everything from heavy to cloth armor. There are no longer spell "hotkeys" for the 360's D pad, but you can designate skills/items as favorites.

I'm playing on the 360, it does have it's flaws. If you download the content to the HD, it lowers the graphics and view distance. If you play off the disc, load times are long and often (if going in different buildings). I hear a patch is coming out for the graphic fix on the HD. PC players might be pissed because this is just basically another consol ported over to the PC (similar to MW and BF). Kinda sucks because all those game mentioned were originally made for the PC in the past.

Right now I'm having a blast with my Nord Battle Mage. I joined the Companions and Mage's guilde, the side quests are very fun to say the least. Vampirism is back, as well as another type of unique "character".....I won't spoil it though but it's wicked fun. I'm thinking of doing assasin type for my 2nd play though.

Long story short, go out and get it!
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Jebus335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Traded Arkham City, and glad I did. The leveling system is night and day compared to Oblivion (if you did it right, you could easily exploit the old system.) So far, so good, I made an Imperial battlemage using long sword, heavy armor, and sneak (weird, I know).
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

I am enjoying it thoroughly. I have no idea how long the main campaign is, but i've got about 32 hours invested and lvl 25.
      11-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
1ForAll
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
It is a great game so far. Only lvl 13 but loving all of it. I like this game a lot more than fallout 3
      11-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
The game simply rocks. I hate being @ work for only this reason. Good job Bethesda
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Definitely a great game. Unfortunately not enough hours in the day to play.
2008 Z4MC #1786/1815 "The Last IB w/ Extended Leather Made" Gone but Not Forgotten

2014 M235i E.Blue Mods in Progress
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
brocken
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

OP was spot on. I played Oblivion but none of the other Elder Scrolls games. Oblivion was probably my all time favorite game... Skyrim has now replaced it and I'm only a few hours in.

I've had super high expectations for Skyrim - was looking forward to it since the beginning of the year. My expectations have been far exceeded!

The leveling system is definitely improved. The simplicity is great while still giving you a sense that you're getting 'better' at something.
The simplified crafting is nice as well. I don't want it to be complicated like an mmorpg. It's nice to make yourself a killer sword, sharpen it and then enchant it.

I'm going slow on the main quest line and really enjoying all the side quests I can find. The Companions questline is AWESOME. I didn't realize vamps were back but I found out the other character OP referred to.

Just amazed each time I play how deep and well thought out the game is. I've never played a game where I actually have fun doing the little side things. They usually seem like work.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG4DNR View Post
Definitely a great game. Unfortunately not enough hours in the day to play.
Seriously I'm already looking forward to a 2nd and 3rd playthrough, however, I doubt that will ever happen before they release DLC. There is just too much to do in this game with the freedom to allow that.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

The DLC always adds so much more, that you are probably right with the 2nd and 3rd play through not happening.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Tranic335i
Private First Class
Rep

Love this game, if you haven't played Skyrim yet you are missing out. I have a stealth archer and i'm one shotting everyone
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Nothing quite like using shouts and destruction spells to bring down a dragon and to harvest it's soul
      11-17-2011, 08:38 AM   #12
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

So, we all know the console is active in the PC version. So maybe posting this is useless since if you wanted to trick the game you could just use the direct console command. But for some odd reason though, this satisfied my wanting to work at it while also meeting my urge to max out Smithing to make Dragon armor.

Basically, the easiest way to level Smithing is to 'grind' on iron daggers. The trick is that, every time you save, close to desktop, and restart the game the vendors will restock their iron ingot supply and cash reserves. So, it started over time where every time I hit the city I'd buy out the iron ingot supply and spam it on daggers. Then I hit ~70 and just wanted it done, so then I just ran the above cycle (buy, save, close, restart, buy) a few times to finish it off. Got my suit made last night, its nice running with 325 armor. I still need to enchant it though.
      11-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Jebus335
Private First Class
Rep

^ I will start on this tonight on my PS3...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Jebus335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranic335i View Post
Love this game, if you haven't played Skyrim yet you are missing out. I have a stealth archer and i'm one shotting everyone
Yeah, I love picking them off from afar and watching them run around looking for the source...

I also like how they have made the combat much more challenging this time around. I am only playing on "Adept" (I think, the middle one), and you have to be on your toes in every combat situation otherwise you will be taken out, and in an embarrising death cam kill... I hate those!

Last edited by Jebus335; 11-17-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

Game is great I love it

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Tranic335i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebus335 View Post
Yeah, I love picking them off from afar and watching them run around looking for the source...

I also like how they have made the combat much more challenging this time around. I am only playing on "Adept" (I think, the middle one), and you have to be on your toes in every combat situation otherwise you will be taken out, and in an embarrising death cam kill... I hate those!
Yeah you have to be on your toes sneaking around, but i'm about to start the dark brotherhood quest and they give out the shroud armor set. The boots has the muffle enchant and the gloves i heard gives out x2 backtab damage with the assassin blade perk that's 30x damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #17
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Heres my grammar nazi input.

The word on the box and in all of the press releases is spelled like this "Skyrim" This is pronounced as "Skrim" (one syllable), with a silent y, or the y making a soft a sound.

Thats different than how everyone pronounces it, in game and the developers. They pronounce it "Sky Rim" (two syllables) The only way to do that is with two different words!

SKY pause RIM

They spelled the gad damn name of their game and their land wrong
This has been bugging me for so damn long

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

wat lol
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #19
Jebus335
Private First Class
Rep

U mad bro?

Last edited by Jebus335; 11-18-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #20
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Heres my grammar nazi input.

The word on the box and in all of the press releases is spelled like this "Skyrim" This is pronounced as "Skrim" (one syllable), with a silent y, or the y making a soft a sound.

Thats different than how everyone pronounces it, in game and the developers. They pronounce it "Sky Rim" (two syllables) The only way to do that is with two different words!

SKY pause RIM

They spelled the gad damn name of their game and their land wrong
This has been bugging me for so damn long
Names do not have to follow typical grammatical rules. A name is a name is a name, ... is a name. They, just as anyone, can call their own product whatever they like. e.g. Look at the coined name, "WarCraft". A single word mixture of the word 'war' and 'craft'.
      11-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
Names do not have to follow typical grammatical rules. A name is a name is a name, ... is a name. They, just as anyone, can call their own product whatever they like. e.g. Look at the coined name, "WarCraft". A single word mixture of the word 'war' and 'craft'.
dammit...youre right.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #22
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Back on topic. Beat the main story, felt a little empty after it was over.

I'll refrain from spoilers for a few days til other people beat it as well.