E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Did I just get bit by the P-car bug? Which would you get?

View Poll Results: Did I just get bit by the P-car bug?
Yes, you have to get the Cayman. 41 65.08%
No, get the Bimmer, you'll miss it otherwise. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

09-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Did I just get bit by the P-car bug? Which would you get?

Okay, so I have been speccing and speccing and speccing what was going to be my soon-to-be F30 328i. Decided on just M-sport, EBII, xenons, heated seats and maybe, maybe leather. and then yesterday I thought wait, for the same money as this new thing, I could probably get a nice, certified, low-mileage Cayman or maybe even a Cayman S.

Now I've never been a huge Porsche person. I've always found them to be in a weird market area, meaning if you can afford just a Porsche 911, why not get something else for less $ with similar performance, but at the same time if you can afford XYZ supercar, why not just get the 911 turbo for less money and better practicality. Almost like a too expensive to be practical and too practical to be expensive thing.

So I found the first close by Cayman with a stick at the local Carmax and went to drive it. First off, I'm sure this was just this specific car, but it was beat to $H!T on the inside for a 32000 mile car. Everything else was fine though. I was only there to drive it anyway. So off we went. Not terribly fast- definitely slower than my e92 335i with the N54 and stock. But it just felt sooo much better. It was tight and solid and just eager. Very eager. If I wanted to go it went, stop it stopped and turn, oh boy it turned! It was also far louder than what I'm used to. When you open it up it really lets you know about it.

Now, the car certainly has it's downsides. First, Porsche's are, for the most part, spartan things. This is especially true for the electronic gizmos and convenience features- like bluetooth, iPod and Satellite radio. These things are certainly nice to have. It's also a bit on the smallish size. Small not in the sense that I don't fit. I fit just fine, but it's just a small car.

So I find myself in a tough spot. I have yet to drive the S and probably will, but even the little base model was just a great little car. And it gets stellar mileage too for what it is. So I've been looking for certified models and have found a few, and prices are very decent for 07-08s. Porsche's certified warranty seems really good too because even if the factory warranty is over, Porsche gives you 2 years and 50k miles from when you buy the certified car. They're also offering 1.9% financing. Am I crazy thinking this is the must go route? Did I get bit by the P-car bug?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Apples to oranges... Sounds like if you're legitimately comparing those you should take a few steps back & sleep on it for a while.

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbs View Post
Apples to oranges... Sounds like if you're legitimately comparing those you should take a few steps back & sleep on it for a while.
Haha, thanks gerbs! I have a little time before the end of the e92 lease. Problem with me is that I will obsess with it and not sleep over it haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

hehe, I couldn't decide, so I got both. They are really different cars. I really appreciate my F30 for it's comfy and quiet interior, gizmos and all that... but when I want to lay down the hammer, the big bad 911 does a great job of just being different.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

I dont see any comparison between a 328i and a Cayman. One is a 4 door sedan you can drive and do other things with, one is a 2 door 2 seater you can only drive. If this will be your daily driver, I cant see how the Porsche is in any way logical.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
I dont see any comparison between a 328i and a Cayman. One is a 4 door sedan you can drive and do other things with, one is a 2 door 2 seater you can only drive. If this will be your daily driver, I cant see how the Porsche is in any way logical.
It will be my daily driver. I don't really carry anything or anyone in the car on a regular basis. People tell me having a coupe is so inconvenient because I can't carry people. To this I say, "that's the point" because I really don't want anyone in my cars. it's actually one of my fears of getting a sedan- that people will want to ride with me and thus make the car dirtier.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
It will be my daily driver. I don't really carry anything or anyone in the car on a regular basis. People tell me having a coupe is so inconvenient because I can't carry people. To this I say, "that's the point" because I really don't want anyone in my cars. it's actually one of my fears of getting a sedan- that people will want to ride with me and thus make the car dirtier.
Sounds like you've answered your own question. If you don't need the practicality a 3 series offers over a Cayman........... I mean, there is a reason we choose a 3 series over a Honda Accord. If you don't need and don't want to carry people or "stuff," then why even sacrifice any of the fun, get the Cayman, but do it right and get the S so you don't find yourself getting passed by the sedan you passed up

For what it's worth, I once pondered a similar, but even more odd comparison, X5 4.8 to a Cayman S. I had built (and eventually got) a $74K X5 and wondered why I didn't just get a Cayman since I was in that territory. Ultimately decided the tax man may not like me claiming a Porsche as a business expense . But I was young(ish) and single and damn it I should have done it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #8
ZMM_OMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Garage List
2015 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMC Pro Machine  [10.00]
You might also want to consider cost of ownership. The Bimmer will provide you 4 years of included maintenance. The Porsche will require you to sacrifice an appendage every time you enter the dealer's zip code.

If you think about how you'll use the car and look ahead a few years, which direction would make you happier?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #9
elistan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Quote:
Based on your usage scenario, sounds like the Porsche is the more appropriate car for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMM_OMG View Post
You might also want to consider cost of ownership. The Bimmer will provide you 4 years of included maintenance. The Porsche will require you to sacrifice an appendage every time you enter the dealer's zip code.

If you think about how you'll use the car and look ahead a few years, which direction would make you happier?
Yea that's a big plus for the BMW. I just take it to the dealer and throw the keys at them and say fix it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #11
BMWinGE
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I concur if you dont need the 4 door sedan go with a coupe. What about a Z4?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

just not a big fan of the Z4
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #13
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci
just not a big fan of the Z4
M3
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
gator15
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
If you do not need the space of a sedan, you should decide on what car you like better when driving. It sounds like you have fallen for the Cayman, so go with it.

That being said, my new 911 has been a problem for me. I had my old 997 for 6 years and it was not in the shop one time except for routine maintenance. However, my 991 has been in the shop for 2 months out of the 5 months that I have owned it. While my dealer is great, dealing with Porsche NA has been a nightmare. I even spoke with the head of Porsche NA, who expressed his frustration with the lack of communication from Porsche AG. I am not sure if it is because of the recent takeover by Volkswagen, but the company has definitely changed. I still love their cars, but the company is totally awful. On the other hand, my experience with BMW has been the opposite, BMW values their customers more than any other car company. You truly are one of the team when you buy a BMW, which cannot be said for Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Cayman, but set aside a large maintenance and repair budget - you'll need it!

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #16
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Porsches are pure bred sports car from the ground up. Of course, they feel great compared to a very good "sports sedan". You are not comparing apples and oranges.

If you feel you can live with a 2 seater everyday, by all means buy one. Many smiles per mile.

That said, a Boxster S makes a better choice. The added power is significant.
I would also never buy a Porsche that does not look like its been properly cared for.
Service is expensive and they eat rear tires like gasoline. Boxsters are pretty bullet proof but even basic maintanence is very pricey.

Get a PPI done before buying any Porsche used. Certified is good to have but that does not cover clutches, tires, spark plugs (which are many hours to get to) etc.

This 2006 P car has been perfect BUT (beside $640 each rear tires at 13k mies) but I know my day will come...its the price of automtive lust.

Name:  carrera S  small.jpg
Views: 2470
Size:  118.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

If I didn't need 4 seats and had the budget, a Cayman would be close to the top of my list. Fabulous car in every way except for (like all Porsche's) expensive when well optioned. Build quality is a good step above a 3 series as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Sounds like you're interested in the Porsche. Since you dont need the four doors, go for the Cayman and enjoy it...

Good luck with whatever you get!
      09-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

thanks for all the input! The info about the changes at Porsche are a little discouraging. They've been at or near the very top of the quality lists for a very long time, so it will be interesting to see what happens there. If I get one, I think it will have to be certified and definitely not one that has even a hint of being mistreated. I've thought about an M3 a lot, but I just don't want a car that I've already had. I certainly haven't had an M3, but I've had both an e46 and e92, so yea while it drives entirely differently it's still sort of the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

Very hard to drive a Porsche and not want to buy it. I test drove a Panamera and was trying to figure out a way to afford it and sell the concept to my wife of her driving a Porsche daily.

Then I considered to the cost of having 3 German cars in the household and decided she loves her Infiniti and let it stay that way.

I love my C2S but its not a daily driver.

There are tons of used Boxsters out there and even more with the new body style hitting the US. If the car floats your boat--try one ofr a few years. You should not take a big hit if you buy a GOOD used one and take care of it...look for an S--base is way underpowered for its chassis.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Okay, so I have been speccing and speccing and speccing what was going to be my soon-to-be F30 328i. Decided on just M-sport, EBII, xenons, heated seats and maybe, maybe leather. and then yesterday I thought wait, for the same money as this new thing, I could probably get a nice, certified, low-mileage Cayman or maybe even a Cayman S.

Now I've never been a huge Porsche person. I've always found them to be in a weird market area, meaning if you can afford just a Porsche 911, why not get something else for less $ with similar performance, but at the same time if you can afford XYZ supercar, why not just get the 911 turbo for less money and better practicality. Almost like a too expensive to be practical and too practical to be expensive thing.

So I found the first close by Cayman with a stick at the local Carmax and went to drive it. First off, I'm sure this was just this specific car, but it was beat to $H!T on the inside for a 32000 mile car. Everything else was fine though. I was only there to drive it anyway. So off we went. Not terribly fast- definitely slower than my e92 335i with the N54 and stock. But it just felt sooo much better. It was tight and solid and just eager. Very eager. If I wanted to go it went, stop it stopped and turn, oh boy it turned! It was also far louder than what I'm used to. When you open it up it really lets you know about it.

Now, the car certainly has it's downsides. First, Porsche's are, for the most part, spartan things. This is especially true for the electronic gizmos and convenience features- like bluetooth, iPod and Satellite radio. These things are certainly nice to have. It's also a bit on the smallish size. Small not in the sense that I don't fit. I fit just fine, but it's just a small car.

So I find myself in a tough spot. I have yet to drive the S and probably will, but even the little base model was just a great little car. And it gets stellar mileage too for what it is. So I've been looking for certified models and have found a few, and prices are very decent for 07-08s. Porsche's certified warranty seems really good too because even if the factory warranty is over, Porsche gives you 2 years and 50k miles from when you buy the certified car. They're also offering 1.9% financing. Am I crazy thinking this is the must go route? Did I get bit by the P-car bug?
You're not crazy for loving the Cayman, not at all.

But, you are a bit crazy in comparing a 3 series sport sedan to a bonafide sports car.
I do understand the appeal though.

You've really got to decide what type of car you really want and need, before you decide.
Maybe you should wait for the new 3 series coupe before making up your mind, since you seem to want a coupe, and really have no use for 4 doors.
For you, it sounds like a coupe makes more sense.

I had a 135i before I got my 335i. I loved that coupe, but wanted something a bit bigger this time, thus the move to a sport sedan.
If you want a coupe and you want all the techno gizmos along with included maintenance and full warranty, wait for the coupes.

Good luck with your decision. Either automobile will be a fine car for their own different qualities.

Last edited by RPM90; 09-11-2012 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
You're not crazy for loving the Cayman, not at all.

But, you are a bit crazy in comparing a 3 series sport sedan to a bonafide sports car.
I do understand the appeal though.

You've really got to decide what type of car you really want and need, before you decide.
Maybe you should wait for the new 3 series coupe before making up your mind, since you seem to want a coupe, and really have no use for 4 doors.
For you, it sounds like a coupe makes more sense.

I had a 135i before I got my 335i. I loved that coupe, but wanted something a bit bigger this time, thus the move to a sport sedan.
If you want a coupe and you want all the techno gizmos along with included maintenance and full warranty, wait for the coupes.

Good luck with your decision. Either automobile will be a fine car for their own different qualities.
My problem is that the timing of the coupes kills me. my lease is up in early April. The coupes don't go into production until July. you can't extend the lease without a VIN. I have a 1976 Merc 300d that was my grandfather's. It's in great shape, but no way in hell can I drive it daily in LA for 3-5 months. Stuck in a bad situation. Beyond that, I had a 325Ci, a 135i and now the 3335i coupe. Part of me is kind of over the whole sport sedan sport coupe thing. I keep telling myself that the BMW just makes more sense, but myself keeps telling me NOPE! Yes, I know that's not grammatically correct, but that's what's happening!
Appreciate 0