E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Help, Need Advice About DD

View Poll Results: Best DD?
VW Passat 10 29.41%
Toyota Camry 2 5.88%
Honda Accord 10 29.41%
Nissan Maxima 7 20.59%
Nissan Altima 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

02-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #23
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
If it is a commute to a really bad area, Integra Type R.

Honestly, i would say Toyota Prius for the novelty factor (it would go well with any garage) but if he has no problem with spending a bit more, it would have to be a current gen Accord. Both completely ordinary and not particularly desirable in the wrong way. Best thing, the Accord could possibly outlast fuel reserves on our planet (do a few hundred thousand miles easy without much hassle).
The Accord would be the worst car if you were concerned about it being stolen because the Accord is one of the top 3 cars stolen in the US every year.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Those nissan's are tanks...
Statistically speaking, they don't have great reliability.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #25
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
Yes, he is Bud Bundy. Wow, you are so witty! A used cop car? Wow, you're brilliant too? Are you single?

All of the top Agencies in my town are in really cool old loft type of buildings in the city/ down town. Their old building had protected and secured parking. The new building doesn't have a guard. I wouldn't call it the ghetto, just not very safe.

Are you from the country or something? How can you not know that many businesses are located downtown without protected parking?
Are you bored? Do you really need to come to a BMW forum, and ask some stupid question about what kind of daily driver your Dad should get because he is worried about his Bentley because his business moved to a new building that doesn't have armed guard parking? Seriously? If you know anything about the subject, most cars are stolen for parts, and the most popular cars that are stolen are the cars that have the highest volume of sales, which is most of the cars you put in your poll. Driving the Bentley would probably be the best bet, because anyone of the criminals trying to get rid of the Bentley would have a harder time of it than an Accord, Altima, or Camry.

And it was a good joke BTW. I was first going to ask if your Aunt was named "Kelly" and was a big-haired bimbo, but I thought no one would get it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:53 AM   #26
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Are you bored? Do you really need to come to a BMW forum, and ask some stupid question about what kind of daily driver your Dad should get because he is worried about his Bentley because his business moved to a new building that doesn't have armed guard parking? Seriously? If you know anything about the subject, most cars are stolen for parts, and the most popular cars that are stolen are the cars that have the highest volume of sales, which is most of the cars you put in your poll. Driving the Bentley would probably be the best bet, because anyone of the criminals trying to get rid of the Bentley would have a harder time of it than an Accord, Altima, or Camry.

And it was a good joke BTW. I was first going to ask if your Aunt was named "Kelly" and was a big-haired bimbo, but I thought no one would get it.
Getting to know you and asking one another so many questions has been fun and all, but why you jellymad, tho?
      02-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #27
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Raging, It was funny. A joke. Get it? A joke. Get it? Get it?
      02-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
fighting_fish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.5i Z4 2004

Wow there's a lot of opinionated ass*** on this forum.

Back on topic: When I was looking for a car I spent a lot of time looking at reliability ratings. There's a couple of different ways they go about assessing reliability:

- Off the of numbers of the insurance companies that sell non-oem extended warranties. This is great because you get numbers for cars that are out of warranty, so it's more long term. But it's a self-selecting group, and we don't know how big the sample size is, or what kinds of cars they offer coverage for.
- Surveys of mechanics. Good info, but unfortunately humans are very biased.
- Surveys of users. Good info, although this pushes the results toward the negative (you're more likely to respond if you had a bad experience).

In any case, there were 4 cars that consistently showed up on everyone's list: corolla/camry, civic/accord. If you go with these you're much more likely to have a car that you put gas in it and it goes (anyone can have bad luck and get a bad car, but statistically you're less likely to have problems). I would definitely recommend that if he buys new, that he gets the plan that includes all the service.

Civic/Accord/Camry though are also the most stolen cars in the US (corolla still making the top ten, but not usually top 3).

However, these numbers are not really meaningful UNLESS you adjust them for how many cars are out there on the road. Because if there's 10 accords and one escalade out there, and you get one escalade and one accord stolen, turns out that the escalade is now 10 times more likely to get stolen (seeing as 100% of them got stolen in this example, while only 10% of the accords).

Adjusted numbers, turns out those cars are no longer on the chart. When adjusted for numbers the top positions are Escalades, F-250s, Jeep Wranglers, etc.

So my suggestion still stands, get one of the four, don't worry and be happy You're actually less likely to get it stolen, even if it is the most stolen car.

Last edited by fighting_fish; 02-11-2011 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #29
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Raging, It was funny. A joke. Get it? A joke. Get it? Get it?
What ever happened to that thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighting_fish View Post
Surveys of users. Good info, although this pushes the results toward the negative (you're more likely to respond if you had a bad experience).
Yes, but by the same token, surveys of users are accurate when being used relative to each other, because the likeliness to respond due to a bad experience isn't isolated by brand. So, while there will tend to be more vocal negativity, it's present across all brands and will not have an effect on the comparison of one car versus another.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #30
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
The Accord would be the worst car if you were concerned about it being stolen because the Accord is one of the top 3 cars stolen in the US every year.
Not even close. That would go to the Escalade and its cousins. I like how the fake Hummer also made it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...ars-2010-tahoe

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #31
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not even close. That would go to the Escalade and its cousins. I like how the fake Hummer also made it.

You can try to twist the statistics all you want, but the fact is the Accord is always in the top 3 of the most stolen car in the country. Sorry.

And if I was as rich as the OP's Dad, who can afford a Bentley, I'd get a nice daily driver and wouldn't give a shit if the car got stolen, I'd either just get a new car, or really good insurance.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 12:32 AM   #32
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Anyone here have an Altima?
I used to have an 08 Altima coupe 2.5. Great engine, fuel-efficient transmission, and I loved the interior (although many will disagree with me).
      02-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #33
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
You can try to twist the statistics all you want, but the fact is the Accord is always in the top 3 of the most stolen car in the country. Sorry.

And if I was as rich as the OP's Dad, who can afford a Bentley, I'd get a nice daily driver and wouldn't give a shit if the car got stolen, I'd either just get a new car, or really good insurance.
First of all, I never said anything about concern over the car being stolen. You just decided to make that up. The biggest concern is vandalism (by jelly jellies), dings, bad weather, scratches, blending in and having something to leave at the airport. To have something he doesn't need to think twice about.

The second part of your statement, the "I'd get a nice daily driver and wouldn't give a shit if the car got stolen, I'd either just get a new car..." is just, well, um.....Brilliant!

Now, go shoot something for dinner.
      02-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #34
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I found a great deal on an 06 A6, not in the plans, but is a possibility.
But plan on looking at the blowout deals for a new car in the paper Sunday.
Also found a decent deal on 08 Maxima and a too good to be true deal on a Toyota Avalon. Found a nice Altima too, but it has tv screens in the headrests, so that's out.

We'll see. Thanks for all the continued help!
      02-12-2011, 04:57 AM   #35
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:

That is good info. Thanks.

I've come to really respect your input over the last years or so, what do you think of Nissan?
      02-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #36
py0413
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
You call a 15K car a beater.....I dunno it's just sounds wrong...hell some people can't afford 1K car nor even food. BTW that's an other story for an other day....I vote Altima or why not something cheaper like and Accent..buy it keep it 10 years. Back and forth car to the office.
I used to know a rich kid who gets 150k Canadian dollar each month as his allowance, and he was able to buy a 35k+tax car just because he wanted to learn how to drive manual. Yeah and the car was sold in 10 days. w/ around 500kms.
      02-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #37
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
First of all, I never said anything about concern over the car being stolen. You just decided to make that up. The biggest concern is vandalism (by jelly jellies), dings, bad weather, scratches, blending in and having something to leave at the airport. To have something he doesn't need to think twice about.

The second part of your statement, the "I'd get a nice daily driver and wouldn't give a shit if the car got stolen, I'd either just get a new car..." is just, well, um.....Brilliant!

Now, go shoot something for dinner.
You're the one who brought up that your Dad has a Bentley not me. You question about a daily driver could have been asked without mention of the Bentley and the answers (other than my smart-ass comments) would have been just the same. Adding in the Bentley just makes the question even more stupid.

Based on your question, it appears that your Dad's daily driver is the Bentley, so what does he do now when parking at the airport? And how did his other building, with the armed guard parking, prevent scratches and dings before? And did he drive to the office in the Bentley in bad weather before now? And sorry, I'm not cool on the lingo, what are Jelly Jellies? And what's your hangup with people who live outside of urban and suburban areas and hunt for food? Does the desire, need, or enjoyment of hunting equate to someone with a low IQ in your mind? Are you just avoiding using the term redneck? Isn't that a bit like racial profilin', or gay-bashing?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #38
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
You're the one who brought up that your Dad has a Bentley not me. Yep. You mad.your question about a daily driver could have been asked without mention of the Bentley and the answers (other than my smart-ass comments) would have been just the same. Adding in the Bentley just makes the question even more stupid. Wrong. Demo/Psychographics. Duh.

Based on your question, it appears that your Dad's daily driver is the Bentley, so what does he do now when parking at the airport? Cab. And how did his other building, with the armed guard parking, prevent scratches and dings before? Large, indoor spots, next to co-workers. And did he drive to the office in the Bentley in bad weather before now? Yes, but had indoor parking. And sorry, I'm not cool on the lingo, what are Jelly Jellies? You. And what's your hangup with people who live outside of urban and suburban areas and hunt for food? Nothin, me love caveman.Does the desire, need, or enjoyment of hunting equate to someone with a low IQ in your mind? Are you just avoiding using the term redneck? No, we say Hoosier here. Isn't that a bit like racial profilin', or gay-basbashing Nope, nothing like it. ?
You're a mean mean meanie, angry person. I'm telling my daddy on you!
      02-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You're a mean mean meanie, angry person. I'm telling my daddy on you!
I ain't scared of your Daddy.

And the psychographic didn't work as evidenced by the Poster who observed that your original question didn't specify what Bentley your Dad has.

Get the Fusion (hybrid). Best choice out of all of the cars mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #40
Epik
Awesome &amp;amp;amp; Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Prius. Great reliability, great mpg, great modern features and functionality.
      02-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #41
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
That is good info. Thanks.

I've come to really respect your input over the last years or so, what do you think of Nissan?
Well, it depends on the car. The Sentra isnt a good car and the Altima is only barely competent, the 370Z, Maxima and the GT-R (especially) are very good efforts (and fill their own gap). Critically, they don't seem to do that well with residuals and reliability.

Interestingly, all of the cheaper ones seem to use a CVT gearbox (weird driving experience), i've tried it on the Enterprise Rental Spec Murano and Altima but not really for me. Try all of them well before buying one.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #42
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Just an update, he ended up getting a Black 2008 Jetta SEL with 25,000 miles.

He got it at the same place as the Bentley so they said they'd service it for life for free when the warranty expires.

I'll post some pictures just for fun when I see him in the next few days.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll let you all know about the reliability.