E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Help, Need Advice About DD

View Poll Results: Best DD?
VW Passat 10 29.41%
Toyota Camry 2 5.88%
Honda Accord 10 29.41%
Nissan Maxima 7 20.59%
Nissan Altima 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

02-10-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Help, Need Advice About DD

So, my dad has gone 'round and 'round (and round and 'round and 'round), literally, and he has decided to get a beater instead of selling his car.

(Parking conditions have changed at the office.)

Anyway, car must be:

Automatic
Sedan with a trunk (no SUVs, coupes or hatchbacks)
$15,000 or less
Reliable
2006 or newer
Not American

Here's what I'm thinking:

VW Passat
Toyota Camry
Honda Accord
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima

Keep in mind he's a 60 year old guy with a Silver Bentley, so a manual VW hatchback isn't something he'd be interested in.

What do you guys think?

The Passat looks like the best bang for the buck, but I don't know anything about the reliability.

Last edited by MontegoGoGoGo; 02-10-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Check out the JDPower rankings. Then scratch VW off the list completely.

I'd have to say either the Accord or the Camry. If he wasn't hell-bent against American cars, I'd suggest a Fusion.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Check out the JDPower rankings. Then scratch VW off the list completely.

I'd have to say either the Accord or the Camry. If he wasn't hell-bent against American cars, I'd suggest a Fusion.
Ah, thank you. I will. That's good to know. Really, reliability is pretty much the only important thing here.

He actually mentioned a Ford Fusion...hmmmm....could possibly get a new one too...
      02-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

You call a 15K car a beater.....I dunno it's just sounds wrong...hell some people can't afford 1K car nor even food. BTW that's an other story for an other day....I vote Altima or why not something cheaper like and Accent..buy it keep it 10 years. Back and forth car to the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
You call a 15K car a beater.....I dunno it's just sounds wrong...hell some people can't afford 1K car nor even food. BTW that's an other story for an other day....I vote Altima or why not something cheaper like and Accent..buy it keep it 10 years. Back and forth car to the office.
Sorry, not to sound like a dick, but I'm trying to figure out why someone that drives a Bentley (though we don't know year or model or condition?) is considering a $15K entry level beater? They obviously have some cache to drive a car like that, why take such a massive step down?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Sorry, not to sound like a dick, but I'm trying to figure out why someone that drives a Bentley (though we don't know year or model or condition?) is considering a $15K entry level beater? They obviously have some cache to drive a car like that, why take such a massive step down?
Let's call it a commuter, daily driver. I'm a grounded guy and I find that a lot of kids here are taking everything for granted and have no appreciation for anything. I might sound like a shiznit disturber btw. I'll put the flame suit on but I've notice that these forums are a bragging place more than anything else.

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.

Last edited by mtla4; 02-10-2011 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Let's call it a commuter, daily driver. I'm a grounded guy and I find that a lot of kids here are taking everything for granted and have no appreciation for anything. I might sound like a shiznit disturber btw. I'll put the flame suit on but I've notice that these forums are a bragging place more than anything else.
Fair enough....it's all about perspective.

No disagreement here man.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
I've been looking a lot today and it almost seems better to buy a brand new car. There is an ad in the paper that has a brand new Nissan Altima for $12,777 (3 at that price) and has full warranty.

Thoughts?

To respond to the comments:

A) Yes, I probably should have said DD not beater.

B) I'm not a kid, I'm a 30 year old woman. My partner and I have bought and paid for any houses and cars in our possession.

C) My dad grew up poor, his father was a shoe salesman.

D) He is keeping the CFS. He is buying the DD to go to and from work because the office moved to a bad area and there is no protected parking anymore. If anything he wants to do the opposite of brag. He wants a car that will blend in and that won't send him through the roof if it gets dinged or scratched.

E) He is "taking a massive step down" for the reasons mentioned above. Could he buy an expensive car to take to work, sure, but why. It's not practical at all.

That's all I hayve to sayuh about thayaaaaat.

Last edited by MontegoGoGoGo; 02-10-2011 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

I'm a big fan of Hyundai for entry level cars - have a look at the new Elantra.
      02-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoGoGoGo View Post
I've been looking a lot today and it almost seems better to buy a brand new car. There is an ad in the paper that has a brand new Nissan Altima for $12,777 (3 at that price) and has full warranty.

Thoughts?
If he's now thinking of new, that changes the list completely. How about the Optima or Sonata? Of course, you'd be looking at more than $15k in that case, but a new car for $15k is hard to do these days. You sure he's gonna enjoy driving a no-options car now though?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
He said he really doesn't care about options. Just heat and ac.

If he wants options he can just drive the Bentley.

I've crossed Kia and Hyundai off the list because, well, I guess I am a snob. Seriously though, I just don't like them.

Thanks again!
      02-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

if he wants a new card for dd. get the sonata.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #13
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Anyone here have an Altima?
      02-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
St Pierre and Miquelon
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner e92

my vote goes for VW Passat
      02-10-2011, 07:52 PM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thoughts?

B) I'm not a kid, I'm a 30 year old woman. My partner and I have bought and paid for any houses and cars in our possession.

D) He is keeping the CFS. He is buying the DD to go to and from work because the office moved to a bad area and there is no protected parking anymore. If anything he wants to do the opposite of brag. He wants a car that will blend in and that won't send him through the roof if it gets dinged or scratched.

E) He is "taking a massive step down" for the reasons mentioned above. Could he buy an expensive car to take to work, sure, but why. It's not practical at all.

No need to justify yourself. It's just that sometimes you know the internet.....LOL
I'm probably the only one who voted altima. My dad had an 07 it was an excellent car no problem fun to drive. Better then the Accord, Camry. You could always look at the Ford Fusion which in reality is a Mazda 6.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:

Thoughts?

Is your Dad Bud Bundy?

BTW he should get a used cop car if he's concerned about the 'hood. Also, how does a guy who grew up poor, who now drives a Bently, work in an "office" that has now moved to the bad part of town? Just courius.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Is your Dad Bud Bundy?

BTW he should get a used cop car if he's concerned about the 'hood. Also, how does a guy who grew up poor, who now drives a Bently, work in an "office" that has now moved to the bad part of town? Just courius.
Its Business shit happens... They cut costs to keep the B with Wings... JK

Personally I don't see any problem with this, a friend of mine had a Ferrari and went out and bought a nice Toyota... Because he wanted something safe for his new born baby... When He went to pick it up in the Ferrari the whole dealership came out and started to ask a million questions.... (Thats also another reason to blend in.. The attention after a while will kill u.... Sometime literally)

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Is your Dad Bud Bundy?

Yes, he is Bud Bundy. Wow, you are so witty! A used cop car? Wow, you're brilliant too? Are you single?

All of the top Agencies in my town are in really cool old loft type of buildings in the city/ down town. Their old building had protected and secured parking. The new building doesn't have a guard. I wouldn't call it the ghetto, just not very safe.

Are you from the country or something? How can you not know that many businesses are located downtown without protected parking?
      02-10-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
No need to justify yourself. It's just that sometimes you know the internet.....LOL
I'm probably the only one who voted altima. My dad had an 07 it was an excellent car no problem fun to drive. Better then the Accord, Camry. You could always look at the Ford Fusion which in reality is a Mazda 6.
How many years did he keep it?
      02-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How many years did he keep it?
2 and a half years. 50 000 km which is about what 31 000 miles. That car was trouble free. He traded the car in because there was a sweet deal on an other Nissan model. He had an old altima before drove it for 8 years 200 000 km trouble free sold it to a friend it's still driving brand new now has 300 000 km. Those nissan's are tanks...

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Its Business shit happens... They cut costs to keep the B with Wings... JK

Personally I don't see any problem with this, a friend of mine had a Ferrari and went out and bought a nice Toyota... Because he wanted something safe for his new born baby... When He went to pick it up in the Ferrari the whole dealership came out and started to ask a million questions.... (Thats also another reason to blend in.. The attention after a while will kill u.... Sometime literally)
lol that sounds awesome
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #22
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

If it is a commute to a really bad area, Integra Type R.

Honestly, i would say Toyota Prius for the novelty factor (it would go well with any garage) but if he has no problem with spending a bit more, it would have to be a current gen Accord. Both completely ordinary and not particularly desirable in the wrong way. Best thing, the Accord could possibly outlast fuel reserves on our planet (do a few hundred thousand miles easy without much hassle).

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0