E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Lexus LFAs delivered to customers

02-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #1
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Finally, delivery began for the Lexus LFAs this month with 7/500 LFAs already in customer's hands. This is one stunning supercar.

#003 in Atlanta, Georgia:

Same silver one featured in a Lexus USA video:

#006 in Oklahoma city, OK:

#005 in Naples, Florida

#014 in San Juan, Costa Rica (professional race car driver):

#026 delivered in Chicago, IL:

Video of WGN news on TV:

http://www.wgntv.com/videobeta/676c9...-South-Suburbs

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-25-2011 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

lol that owner is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
lol that owner is awesome.
Which one?? the burn out guy or the old guy??

p.s. LFA's break-in period is 350 miles where the rev limit only 7000 rpm and no launch control system is available and then it goes up to 9000 rpm and rev limit at 9500 rpm with launch control system also enabled (source: LFA user manual).

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:32 AM   #4
pittsy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez...E92 M3

I'm not a fan of the silver one, white looks awesome. what color is the one in naples, that looks really good as well. A guy in houston has a white one.
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Is it just me or does the reverse white light not working on the left side of the Red LFA? I was like WTF? not broken already?!?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55 View Post
Is it just me or does the reverse white light not working on the left side of the Red LFA? I was like WTF? not broken already?!?
Yeah, I noticed that too.

That V10 is the best sounding engine I've heard in a production car since the Carrera GT.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Which one?? the burn out guy or the old guy?
The crazy spanish pro racer. Autoblog linked that vid as well. It's comforting to know that some of these LF-As will be driven how they should be.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Yeah, I noticed that too.
Euro-spec LF-As only have one reverse light.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

sounds badass!

I'll take the red one thank you.
      02-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #9
cawest19
Livin' the M life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Red is sexxy
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #10
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Someone tell me why I shoul buy this over a 458 Italia for $100k more with worse performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Scarcity, technology, increased reliability (I'd bet my bottom dollar on it), and that amazing exhaust note.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACZakka325i View Post
Someone tell me why I shoul buy this over a 458 Italia for $100k more with worse performance.
full carbon body, sound 1000x better, faster on the track, better fitment and interior quality, more exclusivity vs entry level ferrari.

the choice is simple, really.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
The other side is likely a rear fog light. Which don't come on US cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
Thats def cool even though im not 100% on the looks. Other than the CGT, thats the best sounding V10 even if it cant touch the CGT in performance despite being 10 years newer.
LFA is quicker than the Porsche Carrera GT around the race track, has a faster slalom speed, more lateral g on the skidpad. It holds the record of being the fastest car to lap the Goodwood race track in England (1:22.63). Like you said, it is a 10 year newer car so it ought to be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
full carbon body, sound 1000x better, faster on the track, better fitment and interior quality, more exclusivity vs entry level ferrari.

the choice is simple, really.

They are not for sale anymore. They are all sold out. These owners are real car buffs and pro race car drivers. Even that senior guy is a huge car buff.

Add to that, V10 smaller than a 3.0 Liter V6 (won the 'Evo best engine of the year'), more luxurious, stiffer carbon chassis, throttle response only matched by Carrera GT, 9500 rpm V10 that sounds like an F1 racing car/jet fighter. Not to mention Lexus quality, reliability and durability. This thing will last an eternity.

The presence is just unbelievable of that car. I have seen the 458 Italia in real life and it does not have nearly the imposing presence that this car has.

Production LFA's launch control details:

Quote:

When set, launch control enables the vehicle to accelerate from a standing start at 4000 rpm. Launch control uses overall optimized control that considers vehicle acceleration performance, traction, stability and clutch durability for the fastest starts possible. (Do not use launch control on public roads.)

Setting the system

1. Ensure that you are seated well back in the driver’s seat with the seat belt fastened. Make sure that the passenger is also seated well back with their seat belt fastened.
2. Start the engine. Firmly depress the brake pedal with your left foot and release the parking brake. Continue to depress the brake pedal.
3. Select SPORT driving mode.
4. Select shift speed level 7.
5. Pull the “+” paddle shift switch to select 1st gear.
6. Pull the “-” paddle shift switch and hold it for 5 seconds. “LAUNCH” will be displayed on the meter.
7. Release the “-” paddle shift switch.
8. Depress the accelerator pedal firmly. Continue to depress the accelerator pedal. The engine speed will be automatically maintained at 4000 rpm. The vehicle is then ready for launch.
9. Release the brake pedal. The vehicle will launch forward.

Once the accelerator pedal is released completely, launch control will be canceled and SPORT driving mode will be engaged.

Start-off acceleration

Start-off acceleration depends on how much the accelerator pedal is depressed.

Usage restrictions

*Launch control can not be set if the total mileage shown on the odometer is less than 310 miles (500 km).

*Launch control can not be set until the engine and transmission are fully warmed up.

*Before using launch control, warm up the vehicle by driving it. Launch control can not be set if there is a malfunction in the engine, transmission, drive control system or other relevant systems.

*As launch control places a significant load on the vehicle’s mechanisms,it cannot be used two or more times in succession. After using launch control, cruise at a normal speed for approximately 10 minutes to allow vehicle mechanisms to cool down.

*To protect the systems,the number of times that launch control can be used is limited. To check how many times launch control has been used on your vehicle, contact your Lexus dealer.

[Source: Lexus]

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-04-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post

#005 in Naples, Florida

Don't get me wrong the car definitly has a cool factor, but am I the only one who thinks this is kind of tasteless?

Nothing says "completely out of touch with reality" like having a $400,000 car delivered to your office in the middle of the day durring one of the worst recessions on record.

Sounds like the president of the company I work for.

Delivery is probobly fresh off the heals of a mass-layoff.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
We've been in a raging bull market for almost 2 years and many companies, my own included, have actually increased their workforce over the last several years. If he had it delivered during a GM board meeting then I could see your gripe but many people have done quite well and should not be ashamed of doing so.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #17
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Don't get me wrong the car definitly has a cool factor, but am I the only one who thinks this is kind of tasteless?

Nothing says "completely out of touch with reality" like having a $400,000 car delivered to your office in the middle of the day durring one of the worst recessions on record.

Sounds like the president of the company I work for.

Delivery is probobly fresh off the heals of a mass-layoff.
The board in the background says that it is a Lexus dealer.

Anyways, it is a free country and is legal. It is their money.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #18
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
The board in the background says that it is a Lexus dealer.

Anyways, it is a free country and is legal. It is their money.

Like the Lexus USA video says. LFAs are delivered to the dealerships and then the owners take the delivery.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #19
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
We've been in a raging bull market for almost 2 years and many companies, my own included, have actually increased their workforce over the last several years. If he had it delivered during a GM board meeting then I could see your gripe but many people have done quite well and should not be ashamed of doing so.
No, I'm with you... if you've worked and made the money then by all means go for it. All I'm saying is that even if I was in that position, I wouldn't have it delivered to my office.

If it's a Lexus dealer, my mistake... looked like a bunch of bankers to me. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep

Again this is not a Lexus LFA vs Porsche Carrera GT thread, I am not going to argue with you about it. Put them side by side on the same day, same track, LFA will be quicker around the track. No doubts in my mind. Again, my opinions. They both are my most favorite cars.

You are basing on fastestlap without any proper background. That is because you are not aware of the conditions in which the LFA test was conducted.

In a straight line, pre-production Lexus LFA prototypes never been tested with launch control system. Any car without a properly way to launch (especially automated box) will be slower and bog off the line than with a proper method to launch. With launch control system quicker than 11.7 secs (which even a 997.2 GT3 can do), it is a lot quicker because of the ability to get off the line much quicker than the 3.6 second 0-60 mph. Proven to be even quicker than the 599 GTB HGTE.

The 7:38 AutoBild test conducted with professional Nurburgring race car driver Sacha Bert was on the full 20.8 KM track. Not just the northern loop. Also, the editor was sitting on the passenger side. If it would have been the standard northern loop and with the driver itself, it would have been a lot quicker. That is apples to oranges with the Porsche Carrera GT 7:29 lap that was conducted with only the driver and on the northern loop.

Lexus Europe has conducted its tests and Lexus LFA standard edition laps the Nurburgring in 7:22 - 7:23 (according to Lexus Europe).

Again, all these cars are slower than their official times is because (ZR-1: 7:26 official, GTR: 7:27 official):

- A driver and editor as passenger in the car.
- Full Nurburgring track. Not just the standard 20.6 KM track.

Porsche Carrera GT:

pre-production Lexus LFA (without launch control system):

Again, subjective here. If you believe Porsche Carrera GT is quicker, that is fine with me.

Last edited by 330CIZHP; 02-04-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I think that the LF A looks pretty cool but I still can't justify the price on it. I still think that their LFA division is just outright crazy. Do you guys really think that the interior looks better than Ferrari's? That interior just screams any Lexus to me with carbon fiber bits..And did that have to use that signature super-cheap-japanese looking gloss finish on their wheels?

BTW for all of you guys raving about the harmonics of the engine, Lexus spent lots of time making the exhaust sound THAT good.. I mean thats great and all but what does it tell you about the engine? Do you think Ferrari sat and "engineered" their exhaust?
      02-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
No, I'm with you... if you've worked and made the money then by all means go for it. All I'm saying is that even if I was in that position, I wouldn't have it delivered to my office.

If it's a Lexus dealer, my mistake... looked like a bunch of bankers to me. LOL.
Just watched it again and it's definitely a dealer. Those people that look like bankers are probably all sales staff.

Appreciate 0