E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Learning to drive manual transmission performance cars?

02-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Learning to drive manual transmission performance cars?

So, I recently bought a deal on one of those Groupon sites for a day of driving 6 exotic cars (Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, Lotus Elise, Audi R8, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche Cayman S)

Awesome, right?

The problem is I'm not very experienced driving manual transmissions.

I've driven friends' manuals a few times, but nothing very powerful, certainly not at the level of any of these cars or even an M3.

I'm willing to put in the practice over the next few months. My question is how much practice on manual transmissions will I need to to be comfortable in these cars? Any tips on how to go about doing it? Can I just rent a manual car from Hertz or something?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #2
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr View Post
So, I recently bought a deal on one of those Groupon sites for a day of driving 6 exotic cars (Ferrari F430, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, Lotus Elise, Audi R8, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche Cayman S)

Awesome, right?

The problem is I'm not very experienced driving manual transmissions.

I've driven friends' manuals a few times, but nothing very powerful, certainly not at the level of any of these cars or even an M3.

I'm willing to put in the practice over the next few months. My question is how much practice on manual transmissions will I need to to be comfortable in these cars? Any tips on how to go about doing it? Can I just rent a manual car from Hertz or something?
Im sure the guys at the Exotic car test drive will teach you... Is a learning experience...

The only Exotics I have driven have been Paddles...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #3
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

exotics are harder to drive manuals because of the clutches. Luckily for you, most of those cars at this drive will probably have paddle shifts. The only two I am unsure about are the elise and the cayman. They don't want people like you burning out their clutches.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari355fi View Post
exotics are harder to drive manuals because of the clutches. Luckily for you, most of those cars at this drive will probably have paddle shifts. The only two I am unsure about are the elise and the cayman. They don't want people like you burning out their clutches.
I checked, unfortunately the only automatic is the DB9.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

Quote:
My question is how much practice on manual transmissions will I need to to be comfortable in these cars? Any tips on how to go about doing it? Can I just rent a manual car from Hertz or something?
Unfortunately no one can answer the first question besides you. Your going to have to judge your own comfort level and determine if you can drive the cars. If I wasn't comfortable driving a stick I certainly wouldn't get behind the wheel of any of those cars, for the simple fact that I wouldn't want to burn the clutch out in someone elses car.

However I don't think renting a manual transmission car is a bad idea. While a stick in a higher HP car will be more difficult and the clutch will be stiffer and the revs will shoot up much faster, once your comfortable with a clutch you should be able to adjust your driving style to the car that your in at the time. I'd let the instructor know that you do not have extensive experience driving a manual and would like to take it slow at first. They will help you out.

I would do a little research into what cars you could rent or borrow with a manual transmission, and try to look around online to determine which you think would be the most difficult to learn to drive stick with.

When i was 15 my mom threw me in her Audi TT Quattro, the clutch on it was unrelenting and stalling the car nearly resulted in whiplash. I've stalled my BMW once and the CDV totally saved it and the car really just died. Try to find a car where the engagement is really short, the learning curve will be steep but it will pay off in the end. It took me a lot of practice to pick up Stick on the TT, but since I learned on that car I've never had trouble since and I've driven a huge range of cars from high performance exotics to old beaters with shifters that felt like I was moving the stick through jello.

Anyway sounds like your going to ahve one hell of a good time.

Ohh and my final piece of advice, DON'T STRESS IT! Ease off the clutch the first few times and really feel when the clutch is about to engage and then press the clutch back in right before it starts to engage (you'll feel it, especially after you stall it once or twice ). Once you have the feel for it, it will be a breeze. You may even find yourself preferring manual, I know I do.

Edit: Wow, I proof read that AFTER posting it... it was surprisingly coherent. =p
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Rent or borrow a friends manual car. Practice, practice, practice.

You want to enjoy your time driving those exotics instead of wasting time thinking about the mechanics of using the shifter and clutch.

Sounds like you have some time before the event so keep practicing until you find yourself not even consciously thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Manual F430? Lucky dog - I've always wanted to use a gated shifter, no matter how much of an inconvenience it is. The mechanical and sound and feel must be amazing in itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Oh no. Please don't tell me you're going to learn 6MT on someone's Ferrari.

Men have been killed for less.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Oh jeez. Have the funds in hand to buy your friend a new clutch and have him teach you. Heel toe and etc aside, learning standard trans is a day long affair, you should be fine.

Keep in mind that it's pretty hard to do any real damage unless you are being careless.

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

I actually think learning manual in an underpowered 4 cyclinder car is the best way to learn. It's easy to kill the engine in those, and once you master it, driving a car with a larger engine becomes second nature.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post
Oh no. Please don't tell me you're going to learn 6MT on someone's Ferrari.

Men have been killed for less.
Agreed.

I did a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with all of the cars having paddles. I can't imagine trying to pilot them without knowing how to properly drive a manual with some skill (I do ). These cars can bite you badly if you make a mistake pushing them and inexperience with a manual gearbox isn't going to help and will, imho, badly detract from you fully enjoying the experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #12
tlr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Agreed.

I did a similar experience a couple of weeks ago with all of the cars having paddles. I can't imagine trying to pilot them without knowing how to properly drive a manual with some skill (I do ). These cars can bite you badly if you make a mistake pushing them and inexperience with a manual gearbox isn't going to help and will, imho, badly detract from you fully enjoying the experience.
Exactly why I plan on practicing a ton first.

Worst case, if I feel like I'm over my head, the instructor can take me for a ride in the cars. Even that would be an awesome experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
335iMIAMI
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 CTS-V

You just need to practice practice ptactice , and have as much seat time as possible. Before you know it will become effortless.
      02-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Biggest difference I can think of is that the throttle tends to be more sensitive on a higher performance car, and thus you need to get used to using less of the throttle starting off so you're not burning the clutch up.

Are you going to be driving on a track? If so, I'd learn to rev match and heel toe. Rev matching is pretty easy. Heel toe will take a bit more time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #15
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
You can get smooth at granny shifting in one day. Always err on the side of giving too much gas and you will be fine. But granny shifting sucks on a track, having to hold the clutch in through turns, and then burn the clutch exiting the turns. Heel-toe is the right way, but some people take a long time to learn it. It will be much easier if someone can show you so you'll feel the rhythm.

Start by sitting with the car in neutral and get comfortable with blipping the gas pedal with your heel or the right side of your foot while you hold down the brake pedal with your toe or the ball of your foot. Then take it from there. The key is to focus your attention on smooth braking. The blip is not as critical, but again err on the side of blipping too hard, especially shifting into 2nd. The timing of the shift is also not really critical, just get it done. When you first start trying heel-toe, you will probably have to start braking very early to give yourself time.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
I checked, unfortunately the only automatic is the DB9.
Are you sure the f430 is a true manual, I thought those on came flappy panel?

If you're asking how much experience do you need to feel comfortable in those cars I would say enough to where driving a manual is second nature. So basically if I were you I would jump on the chance to drive any manual I had the chance to drive.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:13 AM   #17
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Are you sure the f430 is a true manual, I thought those on came flappy panel?
The F430, like all entry-level Ferraris before it, came with a 3-pedal manual transmission as standard. Only recently with the 458 was it done away with.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #18
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Hertz C6.

Rent one for a day and go crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #19
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Manual F430? Lucky dog - I've always wanted to use a gated shifter, no matter how much of an inconvenience it is. The mechanical and sound and feel must be amazing in itself.
So true. It's on my checklist. I figure the most probable chance of me getting my hands on one would be somehow landing a seat in an R8.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

A full week of forcing yourself to drive a manual should be enough. That's how I learned; stalled quite a bit too.
      02-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #21
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

call them up and cancel. tell them you are not experience with manual and don't want to screw up their car. i'm sure they would let you off.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #22
panzerjager
Rep
Drives: '10 C63 AMG

Hey tlr,

Do you mind sharing the deal you got and which company it is? Im in the Bay Area too and it definitely sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0