E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video: Life as a Marine Grunt in Afghanistan

05-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Video: Life as a Marine Grunt in Afghanistan

Funniest video I've seen in a while on the internet:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6c4_1176720508

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
cm3rc
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
      05-13-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Jeep SRT8, SC'd '06 GTO

HAHA LMFAO, so fuckin true. And anyone that says "oh no, thats aweful!" Ask yourself this simple question. HAVE YOU BEEN TO THAT SHITHOLE COUNTRY FOR YOURSELF AND SEEN IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES? The answer is probably no, so until you know what its like firsthand, stfu and have a nice day

Fuckin' Jarheads
      05-14-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

i can understand how people can have mix reactions when they see videos like that, but for me, personally, i think the situation/reality they are in will prompt them do things like that, they are just being human beings, i mean, look at the country they are in

i am not a soldier and ive never been in a battle field, but being a psychology major, i can understand how the powerful the situation can be in effecting a person's behaviour, and thats a perfect example

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 02:17 AM   #5
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokX View Post
HAHA LMFAO, so fuckin true. And anyone that says "oh no, thats aweful!" Ask yourself this simple question. HAVE YOU BEEN TO THAT SHITHOLE COUNTRY FOR YOURSELF AND SEEN IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES? The answer is probably no, so until you know what its like firsthand, stfu and have a nice day

Fuckin' Jarheads
You dont need to go to Iraq to see impovrished children beg for things, infact go to any 3rd world country and you will see impovrished children asking for money/food..etc.
Those kids are human beings like anyone else.
and YOU calling it a "Shithole Country" isn't going to making it any better.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 03:24 AM   #6
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchem View Post
You dont need to go to Iraq to see impovrished children beg for things, infact go to any 3rd world country and you will see impovrished children asking for money/food..etc.
Those kids are human beings like anyone else.
and YOU calling it a "Shithole Country" isn't going to making it any better.
Spend as much time as I have over there, come back, and then tell me its not the poorest/worst country you've ever experienced. There is NOTHING there. People there would fight us and die simply because they had nothing to do. Women are treated worse than dogs. School teachers were beheaded simply for teaching. Kids were threatened to be tortured and killed if they attended school. Men were ruthlessly beaten and killed for cooperating with us. Kids are raped by adults simply for fun. Incest is rampant. And this is the norm. It was 10x worse under the Taliban. No music, games, entertainment, etc. was allowed. If this is not a shitty society, I would like to hear what one is. And this is Afghanistan, mind you, not Iraq.
      05-14-2007, 03:38 AM   #7
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

I dont want to turn this into some arguement, because there is no point. We all agree its a severely impoverished nation. There's just alot people don't know about what goes on in those countries because the media is bullshit and doesn't report anything accurately and it sickens me. The public hears 5 minutes on the news and thinks thats how it is. Hell, the individuals we were fighting the day I was hit were a group of 150+ Chechnyans who travelled to Southern Afghanistan/Pakistan border just to fight "The West". Most people we fight over there aren't even from that country. Most are foriegn nationals from Iran, Syria, Pakistan, Chechnya, etc.
      05-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [8.50]
2006 325i  [8.00]
..................(keeping my opinion to myself).................
      05-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
SO TRUE

yes it (OIF/OEF) smells
yes the people smell
yes the US troops smell too

I MISS PUSSY!!!!
I RICK JAMES BITCH!!!!

excellent!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
SO TRUE

yes it (OIF/OEF) smells
yes the people smell
yes the US troops smell too

I MISS PUSSY!!!!
I RICK JAMES BITCH!!!!

excellent!
Yeah, we'd pretty much smell like the dead after a week-long patrol

Good times, good times......
      05-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Rokx, can't agree with you more. I can't believe how stupid the American public really is. Just like Vietnam, the media only show glimpse of the war. Nothing like the real thing.

That video is freaken funny though. RICK JAMES BEEEEEEEEETCH!!!!!! ROFL!
      05-15-2007, 12:55 AM   #12
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Spend as much time as I have over there, come back, and then tell me its not the poorest/worst country you've ever experienced. There is NOTHING there. People there would fight us and die simply because they had nothing to do. Women are treated worse than dogs. School teachers were beheaded simply for teaching. Kids were threatened to be tortured and killed if they attended school. Men were ruthlessly beaten and killed for cooperating with us. Kids are raped by adults simply for fun. Incest is rampant. And this is the norm. It was 10x worse under the Taliban. No music, games, entertainment, etc. was allowed. If this is not a shitty society, I would like to hear what one is. And this is Afghanistan, mind you, not Iraq.
There is no civil society in Afghanistan - the only thing men know how to do is tote around an AK-47. Worse, the Taliban seem to be once again on the rise thanks to Pakistan and the safe haven they find there. 30 years of war have ruined the country and its basic infrastructure, much of it built by the US back in the 1950's. I can understand the troops' frustration of having to deal with the locals - this guy should lighten up a bit with the kids though. They are the future of Afghanistan and impressions last a lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 01:26 AM   #13
edgarj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

That video was awesome... probably the most realistic video I've seen from a soldier's point of view during modern deployment. I truly hope that guy dosent get in trouble for this mini-documentary, but with the big crack down on soldier blogging/communication, I have a feeling he'll feel some heat unless he ETS'd befor he released this.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
ehhhwik
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335d, 07' BMW E92 328i

Quote:
Yeah, we'd pretty much smell like the dead after a week-long patrol

Good times, good times......
i got a question for ya, i live in Canada, all we know is that our country's troops are in A'stan as well, and all we see on TV is when some soldiers can bombed by booby traps or when they are kicking the Taliban's ass on national television, heres my question for you soldiers who actualy fought there....

How much killing/shooting does an average allied soldier there do in a week long patrol?? Do you shoot at enemy everyday, maybe even more frequent???

i know Canadian troops are in Kandahar, suppose to be one of the more dangerous regions in A'stan, and sorry for asking such a silly questions

Retired: 07' E92 328i (Jet Black)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhhwik View Post
i got a question for ya, i live in Canada, all we know is that our country's troops are in A'stan as well, and all we see on TV is when some soldiers can bombed by booby traps or when they are kicking the Taliban's ass on national television, heres my question for you soldiers who actualy fought there....

How much killing/shooting does an average allied soldier there do in a week long patrol?? Do you shoot at enemy everyday, maybe even more frequent???

i know Canadian troops are in Kandahar, suppose to be one of the more dangerous regions in A'stan, and sorry for asking such a silly questions
You don't get into as many firefights as you'd think. Most times we would go on a long patrol and not see anything the whole time except for a whole lot of dirt and rocks. However, other times guys would be in constant contact right off the bat.

Thats the dangerous part, is the long periods of time you would go without having to fire your weapon, then all of a sudden you are in the fight of your life. You never know when its going to happen. When nothing happens is when we would have to be extra alert. Because if someone were to let their guard down/get lazy it could end up getting a friend/friends hurt or killed.

We would go most times weeks in between battles. Some would be a major coodinated attack, house raid with Special Forces teams on a HVT (High Value Target), Ambush, IED, bombing, or just one or two idiots taking shots at us with an AK or RPG and end up getting themselves blown apart by a .50 cal.

You usually have more downtime and boredom than excitement and/or scary firefights thats for sure. At least in the 'Stan.
      05-15-2007, 03:14 AM   #16
ironjw
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
LMAO...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 11:52 AM   #17
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
You don't get into as many firefights as you'd think. Most times we would go on a long patrol and not see anything the whole time except for a whole lot of dirt and rocks. However, other times guys would be in constant contact right off the bat.

Thats the dangerous part, is the long periods of time you would go without having to fire your weapon, then all of a sudden you are in the fight of your life. You never know when its going to happen. When nothing happens is when we would have to be extra alert. Because if someone were to let their guard down/get lazy it could end up getting a friend/friends hurt or killed.

We would go most times weeks in between battles. Some would be a major coodinated attack, house raid with Special Forces teams on a HVT (High Value Target), Ambush, IED, bombing, or just one or two idiots taking shots at us with an AK or RPG and end up getting themselves blown apart by a .50 cal.

You usually have more downtime and boredom than excitement and/or scary firefights thats for sure. At least in the 'Stan.

Where were you based - anywhere near Kandahar? When I was there back in 2002 the 101st Airborne division had just taken over from the marines...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #18
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

That video is great!!! And for all the guys above that have been there I give you mad props and thank you.
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #19
SMOKE EM IF U GOT EM!!
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 330, 20' F97 X3m

Garage List
2006 330i SPORT  [7.34]
squawk--

****soldier grabs his saw tighter and closer, "Its Fuckin Predator"*****

lmao!!!

"I Miss Pussy!!!!''

lmao rofl

LIVE FAST..DRIVE FASTER!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #20
RokX
'07 E92 335i SOLD
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarabeo View Post
Where were you based - anywhere near Kandahar? When I was there back in 2002 the 101st Airborne division had just taken over from the marines...
Our Battalion was in the Zabul Province, about 90 miles (from what I remember) northeast of Kandahar. We were scattered throughout FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) from areas north of Highway 1, our FOB was a large FARP Base (Foward Area Refueling Point) on Highway 1 at Qalat, others were in small FOBs/safehouses all the way to the Pakistan Border.

Question for you, are you American or Italian? Because I spent a bit of time stationed in Vicenza Italy. Trained with the Folgore, an type of Officer Candidate School, and with the Carabinieri on occasions. Lovely country....
      05-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
Scarabeo
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Our Battalion was in the Zabul Province, about 90 miles (from what I remember) northeast of Kandahar. We were scattered throughout FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) from areas north of Highway 1, our FOB was a large FARP Base (Foward Area Refueling Point) on Highway 1 at Qalat, others were in small FOBs/safehouses all the way to the Pakistan Border.

Question for you, are you American or Italian? Because I spent a bit of time stationed in Vicenza Italy. Trained with the Folgore, an type of Officer Candidate School, and with the Carabinieri on occasions. Lovely country....
Ah yes - Zabul province...brings back memories...there was an FOB 8 hours north of Kandahar, way up in the mountains..for the life of me I can't remember the name..anyway, I work for State and Vicenza/Aviano are both in my AOR. Great BX, always look forward to my trip out there to stock up on food/mags etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2007, 03:50 PM   #22
yomash
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
HAVE YOU BEEN TO THAT SHITHOLE COUNTRY FOR YOURSELF AND SEEN IT WITH YOUR OWN EYES?
My parents tell me it was a wonderful country before the soviets invaded/ were invited in by a corrupt government. But, after being a battle ground for other peoples greed for 30 years - thats what is left.

2012 e70 X5 xDrive35i M package Carbon Black
pervious: 2011 X3 28i | 2007 e92 335i coupe | 2008 e90 328xi Sedan | 2002 e46 M3 coupe | 2003 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0