E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > 2011 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

07-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #89
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SLAM View Post
Watching BBC Red Button Forum, heated discussion about Christian Horner's decision to tell Webber to hold position. And especially Mark Webber was furious and bad mouthing the team again.
horner made the 100% right call. RBR had P2 and P3 and a bad move from webber and we coulda had both cars DNF. glad webber held position and let vettel take P2 and him P3
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #90
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
horner made the 100% right call. RBR had P2 and P3 and a bad move from webber and we coulda had both cars DNF. glad webber held position and let vettel take P2 and him P3
completely agree. no reason to risk that kind of loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:02 PM   #91
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Great race. Glad to see Ferrari in front again, if only for one race.

One more POS Fox race and then it's back to Speed.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #92
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
9 races, VET won 6, and finished 2nd in 3, letting HAM, BUT and ALO win 1 a piece i'm loving this season, mouahahahahh
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 01:13 PM   #93
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
...and pending FIA final approval we are going to back to valencia spec cars. off throttle hot exhaust back in place?!!??!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #94
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Attached Images

07-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #95
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Great race. Glad to see Ferrari in front again, if only for one race.

One more POS Fox race and then it's back to Speed.
Totally ignored Speed, from now on I'll just stick with BBC iPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkx5m View Post
9 races, VET won 6, and finished 2nd in 3, letting HAM, BUT and ALO win 1 a piece i'm loving this season, mouahahahahh
Even tho Fernando won, the biggest winners today are still RBR and Vettel. He had only lost 21 points this season so far. Race itself has been very exciting (except valencia), but in a championship point of view, it is one step closer to become two time world champ.
      07-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #96
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
another what could have been for MS

and great drive from hamilton, right down to the wire with massa
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #97
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Someone is going to need to explain to me how Horner telling Webber to "hold the gap" wasnt a team order.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 04:56 PM   #98
MontegoblueE92
Captain
Rep
Drives: It Like He Stole It

Team orders are legal this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #99
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Someone is going to need to explain to me how Horner telling Webber to "hold the gap" wasnt a team order.
lessons learned from turkey!! not only team orders are legal now, but 33 points was a phenomenal day for RBR, why risk it? this was also already discussed pre-race with the entire team, webber's defiance of given orders to me is very troublesome
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #100
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ohh I had no idea that orders were legal this year.

nevermind

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #101
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Great race. Enjoyed most of it.

Blake, did all the locals bad-mouthing Lewis know he had fuel issues? (From very early on it sounded, maybe up to 20 laps before the end.) Seems a bit odd that they were all annoyed at him.

Also, on the regs returning to normal for the German GP. There has been alot of speculation that Ferrari was behind all of this initially. The fact that they have been quiet all along is almost just as telling as if they had been spearheading it openly. So, coupled with the fact that Ferrari has won the one race where the blown diffusers have been limited I would say the issue isn't quite over yet.

The post race interview with Stefano Domenicali was telling of that as well. As when he was asked if the situation was over and done with he just wryly smiled and didn't answer.

The next week or two until the next race will be one of the most interesting if not the most confusing. I kind of look forward to it though. Plus, surely Red Bull are suffering from a lack of TV coverage as they are usually so far ahead they get forgotten about as the announcers focus on the actual battles and the part of the races that we have considered to be 'classic' status racing.

Lastly, RBR is a great team. But I find it funny at one of the few times they are in a challenging position that they fail to deliver excitement.
      07-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #102
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

One other thing, I love the BBC coverage. There is none better. However, they borderline sold McLaren out by broadcasting some critical driver transmissions. Openly broadcasting a strategic pit stop for Button, when they vocally declared they were aiming for an undercut is terrible.

And doing it a 2nd and 3rd time both for Lewis with his fuel issues was even worse. After the first broadcast about Lewis' fuel situation they should have stopped. RBR told Webber to be cautious for a fake. Then the BBC was nice enough to chime in and say, "Hey boys, this wasn't a fake. He really does have fuel issues" by transmitting the second message to Lewis that his fuel was critical. I know that Silverstone is closer to Milton Keynes than Woking but c'mon. You can't compromise a teams strategy like that. Those broadcasts didn't really add anything to my enjoyment or understanding of the race anyways.
      07-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #103
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
One other thing, I love the BBC coverage. There is none better. However, they borderline sold McLaren out by broadcasting some critical driver transmissions. Openly broadcasting a strategic pit stop for Button, when they vocally declared they were aiming for an undercut is terrible.

And doing it a 2nd and 3rd time both for Lewis with his fuel issues was even worse. After the first broadcast about Lewis' fuel situation they should have stopped. RBR told Webber to be cautious for a fake. Then the BBC was nice enough to chime in and say, "Hey boys, this wasn't a fake. He really does have fuel issues" by transmitting the second message to Lewis that his fuel was critical. I know that Silverstone is closer to Milton Keynes than Woking but c'mon. You can't compromise a teams strategy like that. Those broadcasts didn't really add anything to my enjoyment or understanding of the race anyways.
The pit radios that we saw (title) and heard were released by the FOM World Feed, not sure if the BBC guys had another scanner to read it. But the FOM feed director sold it to the world. Usually they'd pick the interesting and critical ones to broadcast. Which Mclaren guys were quite annoyed that FOM released it way before Button committed the pit stop. They should've broadcast it on the moment Button dive into the pit lane.

And as for the Hamilton fuel issue, the Mclaren pit wall can only hide it for a few laps. Everyone would know LH had some sort of problem sooner or later when his lap time were consistently slower lap by lap and the pace were obviously slower (like 2-3 secs a lap). and massa would've catch him anywayz. Nonetheless, great battle on the final Vale and Club corners.
      07-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #104
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

I don't disagree. They would have eventually noticed his slowing pace, and caught up regardless. But in a sport based on tenths of a second, certainly telegraphing that information out made the situation worse. Especially when Massa's only attempt to overtake Hamilton came 2 corners before the checkered flag.

Not arguing with the result though.
      07-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #105
arggg45
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: fairly quickly.

Garage List
i remember them saying earlier this year that starting at some point this season, the teams would no longer have access to the FOM feed (BBC, etc), which would eliminate that situation.

that said, am I the only one that doesn't really care for Webber's whining? While he may be pissed off at not being able to pass Vettel, RBR, like Ferrari, is committed to winning the Constructors Championship, and with their history of taking each other out, there was a not insignificant chance of them taking each other out. I'd take an expected value of 33pts over an uncertain number of points any day.
      07-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #106
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Great race. More than Alonso winning it, RedBull lost it, but that's racing. Glad to see things shaken up a little . And as noted, P2/3 for RB was still great after that major pit f***up.

And MS continues crashing into people with his rookie moves. Well deserved penalty.

On the RB 'controversy', with MW 80 freaking points behind Vettel, and absolutely nothing to lose, it'd have been stupid for Horner not to calm him down, especially now that it's legal to do it.

And the super good luck Alonso had, must have sucked it from Button. Man, what a stupid way to end the race, and in his own country. Third time he DNFs, I believe. Oh well.

Finally, the WCC is all but RB; no way in hell anybody can catch them up 110 points ahead. And on the WDC, with SV 80 points ahead of MW and 92 from FA, it'd be a super long shot for anybody else to catch up, but it's still possible. Vettel deserves the title, but hope '12 becomes more competitive. Take care gang.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #107
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

Great to see Alonso and Ferrari having some success. I want this season to go down to the wire. So although I am an RBR guy, I am hoping the others (except LH) statt dominating a bit.

In terms of the RBR team orders, MW was clearly faster at the end. It would have been just as easy to tell SV, "Mark...is faster....than you.", and still have that RBR 2nd/3rd.
      07-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #108
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Glad to see Alonso and Ferrari pick up a win

The way Domenicali acted in the post race interview leads me to believe this exhaust blowing situation isn't quite over yet.

Also:

Last edited by gary88; 07-10-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #109
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Glad to see Alonso and Ferrari pick up a win

The way Domenicali acted in the post race interview leads me to believe this exhaust blowing situation isn't quite over yet.

Also:
More like EXPANDING the GAP!!!

Its a good day in the office for RBR.
      07-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #110
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
i remember them saying earlier this year that starting at some point this season, the teams would no longer have access to the FOM feed (BBC, etc), which would eliminate that situation.

that said, am I the only one that doesn't really care for Webber's whining? While he may be pissed off at not being able to pass Vettel, RBR, like Ferrari, is committed to winning the Constructors Championship, and with their history of taking each other out, there was a not insignificant chance of them taking each other out. I'd take an expected value of 33pts over an uncertain number of points any day.
Webber should be in the sport long enough to know how it works. Its all about points and maximum points scored for the team with minimum risk. Any close "racing" will have an "opportunity" to fuck things up. Especially in the heat of frantic race.

MW bitched about if he passed SV and in case Fernando retired, I could be fighting for the win. C'mon, mark, get real, you'd think RBR will let you do this? They would rather to put SV in front if possible and seal the deal for both WDC and WCC as fast as they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Great race. More than Alonso winning it, RedBull lost it, but that's racing. Glad to see things shaken up a little . And as noted, P2/3 for RB was still great after that major pit f***up.

And MS continues crashing into people with his rookie moves. Well deserved penalty.

On the RB 'controversy', with MW 80 freaking points behind Vettel, and absolutely nothing to lose, it'd have been stupid for Horner not to calm him down, especially now that it's legal to do it.

And the super good luck Alonso had, must have sucked it from Button. Man, what a stupid way to end the race, and in his own country. Third time he DNFs, I believe. Oh well.

Finally, the WCC is all but RB; no way in hell anybody can catch them up 110 points ahead. And on the WDC, with SV 80 points ahead of MW and 92 from FA, it'd be a super long shot for anybody else to catch up, but it's still possible. Vettel deserves the title, but hope '12 becomes more competitive. Take care gang.
JB just had bad luck in Silverstone, what a shame, he could've pick up some solid points for the team.

The situation cannot be any better for RBR, McLaren and Ferrari and scrapping points from each other, and the Bulls keep piling up the points, and expanding the gap.

I can even say to a point, RBR don't even need to win from now on at all, the rivals will kill each other for the win and RBR will win both Champions before the guys from Maranello and Woking realized they ran out of races.