E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Replacement iphone 5

03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Replacement iphone 5

Anyone here have any experience with using warranty to replace iPhone 5?

My original iPhone 5's touchscreen stopped responding on the bottom half of screen (text box). Brought to apple for replacement. Heard rumors that replacements are refurbished phones, but should work as good or better than new. Fair enough.

Replacement iphone was received. Initial power up prompted an iCloud set up, but had another person's username already in. I was running late and figured it wasn't a big deal.

Phone has since had several other issues (system crashes, rattling internals, waste gates (kidding)). I read about build quality issues because production was hastened to meet anticipated demand and it seems the rumor is true. My iphone 4 was more solid than this.

I'm going to roll the dice and hope another exchange will solve the problems. Just wondering if anyone else on here has had similar experiences with a warrantied iPhone 5.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Take it back in-store and politely complain that you got a phone with someone else's information.
      03-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
stumblingtrout
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MY14 X3 35d M

Sounds like they have messed up there. You should not know any difference between new and refurb, they are factory refurbished.

Get it replaced.
MY14 X3 35d M-Sport. Born 19/04/13, Delivered 31/05/13. Alpine White, Red Brown Leather, Brushed Aluminium, 19" 369 Alloys, BMW Media - Professional, Visibility Package, Access Package, Electric Seats w/ Lumbar, Variable Damper Control, Panoramic Roof, Extended Storage, HUD & Black Panel Dash, DAB, Reversing Camera & Top View, Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Rear Seats, Apps, Internet, BMW Loudspeaker Professional... & More.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
jfiore13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: black 2018 M5

I had mine replaced last week,my speaker phone wasn't working. I asked them at Verizon if I was getting a refurbished phone and they told me they don't have refurbished phones out yet for iPhone 5. It was under warranty so I didn't go through insurance. But it seems to be new I had no issues with it so far...
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

I will tell you want happen to your phone and do not deny it. You dropped and most like in a case like an otter box so no signs of damage on the phone but it doing all sorts of bad things. The rattle you hear it he battery came loose.

How do I know this, my son's iphone 5 took a tumble down our steps inside an otter box and it worked for a little while then started doing all sort of weird things.

Yes got it replaced with a new phone, after spending almost two hours at the store since the "Apple Genius" convinced himself the problem had to be software and attempted to fix it. Only when we removed it from the Otter box and notice the rattle and declared immediate we had a loose battery at which time he attempted to repair this only to give up once the phone continue to do weird things and gave my son a new phone.

Also if the phone had someone else's icloud account it would also have all their other data as well. When they replaced his phone they show us at that time they did a factory reset to ensure us all the data was in fact erase. Didn't they do that with your phone and they usually also set up the new phone for you.

Last edited by Maestro; 03-12-2013 at 09:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Phone was never dropped.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I was running late to a client and didn't have 2 hours time to wait for my original iPhone's data to transfer over store wifi.

Left store and eventually started transfer process at home. This is when I was prompted to sign in, but there was someone else's user id in place.
Appreciate 0