E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Advice re. extended warranty/maintenance

01-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Advice re. extended warranty/maintenance

I recently broke the 40000-mile mark with my 2009 e92 335i and am considering purchasing the extended coverages. I am putting an average of 14-15k miles per year on the car. The only warranty issue I have had up until now is the HPFP, which is covered with or without the extended warranty.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the extended warranty is worth the money, or would it make more sense to go to an independent mechanic?

Also, as I drive my car pretty hard (i.e. lots of city driving and crappy roads), would the extended maintenance be worth it? I pay for my own oil changes in between the factory-recommended intervals,, have had brake service already and am having sparkplugs done as I type this post.

This is my first BMW, so I've never paid for repairs or maintenance and don't have a good idea of what the out of pocket costs tend to be.

Also, any advice re. an independent mechanic in the Philadelphia area would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
chief
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Melbourne Red M3 Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.51]
Hello,

It sounds like you are already covering the ongoing maintenance, so an extended warranty could cover the bigger ticket items.

For what its worth, here is a link to a thread I started last month about non-bmw extended warranties. In short I found a couple, one by Zurich and the other by Assurant through USAA (copies of both are posted within the thread).

Extended Warranty Thread

Chief
Appreciate 0