E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW writeup on E92 coupe high Speed Auto box transmission

04-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

BMW writeup on E92 coupe high Speed Auto box transmission

Looks light lightning fast changes:

High-performance electric control for a fast response.
The new version of BMW six-speed automatic transmission allows a truly unique, active and sporting style of motoring. The sophisticated electronic control unit permanently monitors the position of the gas pedal, registering the intensity of the pressure exerted by the driver on the gas pedal and determining whether and to what extent the driver wishes to accelerate. Retrieving data on the road speed of the car, engine speed and the steering angle, the control unit also detects current driving conditions at all times, considering furthermore whether the car is driving uphill or downhill. By taking all these criteria and many others into account, electronic transmission management, together with its high-performance software, is able to determine which gear is the most suitable under current driving conditions to meet the driver’s particular demands.

The driver expresses these demands smoothly, easily and clearly through his foot on the accelerator, the transmission control unit automatically choosing the topmost gear as long as the driver is just cruising along with consistent pressure on the gas pedal. In this case the automatic transmission will never forget to shift up, keeping the car in its most economical gear at all times. But at the same time the automatic transmission is always ready for any change in driving conditions, responding instantaneously and precisely to new demands and requirements, regardless of whether the driver wishes to slowly build up extra speed or whether he obviously wishes to accelerate fast and dynamically.

Direct choice of the optimum gear.
Whether the transmission should shift back and, if so, to what degree, is determined by the electronic control unit applying data provided on load and driving conditions as well as the rate at which the driver presses down the gas pedal. So depending on the overall scenario, the transmission is able to shift down in the same brief instant either “just” one or several gears. All that counts is how fast the driver wishes to accelerate. The harder he presses down the gas pedal, the more dynamically his car will accelerate to the desired speed, choosing the gear required directly and without any transitional phase.

This direct gear finding process, as it is called, gives the automatic transmission its unique precision, without any time-consuming search for the right gear, which the driver would always notice and experience as an unwanted delay. Indeed, the transmission will determine and find the optimum gear ratio instantaneously while the driver is still pressing down the gas pedal, making machine even faster than man.

A mere 100 milliseconds response time.
Responding at such unprecedented speed, BMW’s new six-speed automatic transmission sets new standards, the dynamic gearshift leaving behind
not only conventional automatic transmissions, but even the manual gearbox: The new six-speed automatic transmission completes every gearshift process faster than even the vast majority of sporting drivers experienced in shifting gears manually. This is borne out particularly clearly by the extreme demand made by BMW’s development engineers in defining a kick-down signal at a speed of 70 km/h or 50 mph in sixth gear. The requirement even in this case is to ensure maximum acceleration – and precisely that is what the new six-speed automatic transmission provides, responding in just 100 milliseconds to the driver’s commands. At the same time the automatic transmission sends a positive force pulse to the engine, which immediately increases its speed from approximately 1,400 to more than 5,000 rpm while the transmission itself shifts back from sixth to second gear.

The time required for shifting gears is also shortened 50 per cent compared with a conventional transmission, again enabling the car to instantaneously switch over from a smooth cruising mode to fast and dynamic acceleration in less than a second, offering truly impressive shift-down performance quite impossible with any kind of conventional automatic transmission.

The new six-speed automatic transmission therefore responds more quickly than the driver is even able to notice – all he feels is the spontaneous reaction to his commands and wish for dynamic acceleration. And all that remains is a wonderful feeling of satisfaction, with the driver marvelling at the intuitive reaction of the new six-speed automatic transmission to his wish for dynamic performance.
      04-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
This would be fun to try. I wonder when test drives will be available.
      04-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #3
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Damn, I want that in my 6er
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
saurav27
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i [Debadged]

Yes Kobe Rules Nice sig
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I always get a kick out of reading BMW literatures. They always use words like 'fast', 'sophisticated', 'high-performance', and 'dynamically'.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
I always get a kick out of reading BMW literatures. They always use words like 'fast', 'sophisticated', 'high-performance', and 'dynamically'.
Well BMW's are dynamically fast, sophisticated and deliver high performance
      04-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Yes, but there are less stilted ways of getting the point across.
I prefer the pics and videos...
Even the stats sheets and office memos are more fun to read than the press releases.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Well BMW's are dynamically fast, sophisticated and deliver high performance
I sold, that why I drive one.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #9
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

If this auto is soooo good to the point that its "leaving behind not only conventional automatic transmissions, but even the manual gearbox", then why are the zero to 60 times posted on BMWUSA still higher than the 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
If this auto is soooo good to the point that its "leaving behind not only conventional automatic transmissions, but even the manual gearbox", then why are the zero to 60 times posted on BMWUSA still higher than the 6MT?
Not all aspects of driving are about 0-60
      04-27-2006, 06:21 PM   #11
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichReg
I don’t think its leaving behind the manual. It’s the first auto that can realistically compete with the manual. You have to admit its impressive to see an auto that is within 0.2 seconds of a professionally driven manual. They get those numbers by putting a pro behind the wheel. In real world driving the auto may be neck and neck with the manual. I can't wait to read about the 335 drags members will have to see which is really faster.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

And so BMW just go from stength to strength, thanks to sophisticated technology that some critics cannot understand.
All I can say is that if I am now so very happy with my e90 with its high end technolgy, what can we expect in about 6 years time when the next 3 series is released?

The quality keeps on improving at an accellerating rate.

A truly awsome BMW.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 08:02 PM   #13
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
Not all aspects of driving are about 0-60
I realize that Fleet, but the write-up on this trans seems to focus on shift times being quicker.
One of the first things I always hear about when SMG or DSG is discussed for example, is how much quicker
the car accelerates from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #14
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3aficionado
I don’t think its leaving behind the manual. It’s the first auto that can realistically compete with the manual. You have to admit its impressive to see an auto that is within 0.2 seconds of a professionally driven manual. They get those numbers by putting a pro behind the wheel. In real world driving the auto may be neck and neck with the manual. I can't wait to read about the 335 drags members will have to see which is really faster.
Just what is so amazing about this feat?

From BMW web site past and present
650 coupe M/SMG = 5.3, STEP = 5.4
645 coupe M/SMG = 5.5, STEP = 5.7
550 M/SMG = 5.4, STEP = 5.5

Without a specially tuned 100ms shifting STEP we have 0.1 sec diff in 2 instances and 0.2 sec in the other. Seems normal to me.

BTW if we get similar differences between BMW advertised specs and real hands on owner experiences we may be looking at sub 5 sec 0-60 for both versions of 335. In right weather I get 5.0 flat 0-60 with STEP 645 coupe and some of the 545 owners very much the same (5.0). Even on my bad days I get easy 5.2 - 5.3. Yet to get real 650 or 550 numbers in but gotta beat us x45s by 0.1 - 0.3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #15
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
Yes, but there are less stilted ways of getting the point across.
I prefer the pics and videos...
Even the stats sheets and office memos are more fun to read than the press releases.
I totally agree. BMW press releases usually lack technical data and aren't very succinct. Look at how much they wrote and then tell me how much information you actually got out of that 1-2 pages.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e90
I totally agree. BMW press releases usually lack technical data and aren't very succinct. Look at how much they wrote and then tell me how much information you actually got out of that 1-2 pages.
It's called marketing propaganda.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Did I miss something or the press release neglected to mention transmission adaptation and also the supposedly new torque converter that is taken offline when the car is idle at a stop in order to save gas?
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 10:00 AM   #18
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
Did I miss something or the press release neglected to mention transmission adaptation and also the supposedly new torque converter that is taken offline when the car is idle at a stop in order to save gas?
I didn't see anything about that either I don't think. In fact thats the first I've heard of torque converter offline function.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #19
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

But the reason auto's are so rubbish to drive is not the slowish shift speed but the fact that the drive goes through the dreaded torque converter and gives that vague, slushy and disconnected feel to the drive.

The VW / AUDI DSG was so good because it used lock up multiplate clutches to give a solid drive train and had a conventional style gear selector system of shafts, gears & selectors etc, and thus beat the manual on fuel consumption & acceleration. The SMG uses a proper clutch too. As do all the F1-style supercar 2 pedal cars. (operated by electro/hydraulics of course). That is how you BEAT a manual using these techniques.

The phrases 'Torque converter auto' and 'Sporty' are contradictions in terms and only exist in literature to satisfy a market segment.

0-60 is not a real test as you'd only shift from 1st to 2nd anyway. The start off would be limited by traction control too so the figures will be close for auto / manual comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
Thats already on the E90 6 Speed Auto, so nothing new to mention for this press release
      04-28-2006, 11:06 AM   #21
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330m
But the reason auto's are so rubbish to drive is not the slowish shift speed but the fact that the drive goes through the dreaded torque converter and gives that vague, slushy and disconnected feel to the drive.

Would have to disagree

Nothing vague or slushy about the BMW Autos, especially not in DS mode
      04-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #22
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

[QUOTE=3aficionado]I don’t think its leaving behind the manual. It’s the first auto that can realistically compete with the manual.]

to me the question is not how does it compete with the manual (with clutch pedal) but rather how will it compete with whatever clutch pedal-less manual(dct/smg etc) that is forthcoming. i personally prefer the conventional manual for the personal involvment but if i were gonna go pedal-less i'm not sure now which way i'd go. i see this new auto as closing the gap with respect to the current smg in certain areas such as shift time and power loss due to the torque converter.
Appreciate 0