E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why I cancelled my order

03-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #67
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Give any thought to a Z4 M coupe?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #68
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

have you even ordered this thing yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #69
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 010101 View Post
A couple weeks ago I test drove a Cayman. At first I just stopped to check it out for fun. I had driven a Boxster a few years earlier and really enjoyed it, but it was never a practical option for me. I assumed that the Cayman was almost definitely too small as well.

The first thing I noticed was predrilled roofrack slots. This means I can put a cargo box on the roof if I ever need to. Then the sales guy showed me a fairly large front trunk, and an even larger rear storage space. Why can't BMW make the Z4 coupe this practical?

Anyway... the next thing I did was sat in it. I was surprised at how much room there was. I am a pretty tall guy, and this thing had room to spare. This car seems to have a perfect blend of size and space. All the controls are very attractive. It has everything you want and nothing you don't. Starting it just requires turning a key like my old e36... nice!

Next I went for a drive in it. Everything in the car was perfectly positioned and weighted. The shifter action and steering feel were absolute perfection. I have driven a lot of cars, but the over all driving experience of this thing has no rival IMO. Driving a car that weighed over 700lbs less than the e92 335i really opened my eyes.

Before I had been telling myself that a 335i was the only car that brought everything together. Sure an Elise was more fun, but also impractical. An Evo was nice too, but the interior and image were pretty juvenile. The Cayman was a car I could live with day in day out and never need anything more. I suspect this is one of the most satisfying cars to drive at any price. I have yet to drive a 997 Turbo, but these guys think the Cayman is even better:

http://www.autocarmag.com/VideosWall...=222412&Mode=B

As soon as I got home I called my CA and cancelled my e92 order.
good luck with cayman.
though, i would save up for cayman S...(9grand more)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 09:34 AM   #70
Viral
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
good luck with cayman.
who knows if he'll even buy the base Cayman.........just been talking about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #71
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
who knows if he'll even buy the base Cayman.........just been talking about it.
What's it really matter to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #72
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: still deciding what to order

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu View Post

Don't worry about him he's just bumping threads he doesn't like again. I told him to make sure to always post a bunch of meaningless crap in threads he doesn't like so they will always be at the top. I didn't think he'd actually listen to me though. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #73
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Give any thought to a Z4 M coupe?
Yes I did give some thought to it. When I first saw that car I really liked it. I thought it was more attractive than the last M coupe. It has a disadvantage that is a deal breaker though. It has very little usable space. To me it feels cramped inside, and the truck is small. The Cayman gives you a roof rack (when you need it) two large trunks and it has a lot of space for taller people like me inside. Aside from that I also like the styling and midengine layout of the Cayman more. I did drive both the Z4 coupe and M coupe, but neither of them really blew me away the way the Cayman did. Not that they are bad cars. They are very good cars. For me they just lack the over all feel the Cayman gives you.

The Z4 has a better warranty, more power for the money, a nice smooth BMW straight 6, gets less unwanted attention and there are a lot more BMW dealers than Porsche dealers... So it definitely has its advantages. For me the Cayman is just the better choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #74
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
good luck with cayman.
Thanks.. I might do that. If I find one at the right price I'll definitely take an S, but so far they have all been pretty expensive. Even the used ones are quite a bit more than a new 2.7 liter Cayman. Porsches hold their value reasonably well, so worse come to worse I can always sell it in a couple years and go for an S. Maybe by then they'll have something even better out. The entire line should be getting direct injection in a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #75
Viral
Major
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 06:24 PM   #76
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
The Cayman gives you a roof rack (when you need it) two large trunks and it has a lot of space for taller people like me inside.
Would you actually put the rack on? If I saw a roof rack on a Porsche (Cayenne aside) I might just wet myself laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #77
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstClass View Post
Would you actually put the rack on? If I saw a roof rack on a Porsche (Cayenne aside) I might just wet myself laughing.
You know, my gf would adamantly agree with you. She doesn't want me to get a Porsche simply because she thinks it would look so "gay" if I ever had the rack on it.

The rack goes on and off very easily, so it would be on the car maybe 1% of the time. I would just use it if I needed to take a bike or extra gear for a long trip. I don't really want the Cayman it for the style anyway. It certainly will be more fun to drive with the rack than any other car that a rack would be more fitting on.

I attached some pictures of Caymans with racks on them so you can wet yourself laughing. Personally I don’t think they look half bad. I like to see people actually using cars that most people just wash and take out on Sunday. This is what the Porsche was designed to do. :rocks: It’s supposed to be able to drive in any condition and accommodate a rack. The tire chains and rack attachments in the Porsche catalogue are proof of that. I bet Ferraris won’t do that!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 10:45 PM   #78
Lieutenant
Rep

I found some more of non-Cayman Porsches.... some of these surprised me. I didn't know you could put a roof rack on a Boxster.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #79
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

cayman is a sweet car! i just don't like the name.
      03-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #80
adamr
Major
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 RS

Garage List
yeah also looked at the cayman, walked into the dealer and asked bout the cayman, and he said why not take the boxster S 3.4 ... as it is basically a cayman S convertible, they upgraded the 3.2s motor to the 3.4 motor ... mmm ... if i think of the porsche its putting thoughts in my mind again .. and yes porsche extras are expensive ...

2007 Porsche 997 GT3 RS
|PCM with NAV and GSM|Roll Cage|PCCB|Xenons|Sports Chrono Plus|PASM|Leather Pack|Silver Seat-belts|
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #81
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How you figuring that you're going to get a Cayman for a little over 50k? Base model starts at 50 and I've *never* heard of a Porsche salesman willing to order a bottom of the barrel car. Deposit or no. (I half suspect that porsche sales staff are paid commission off the accessories and not the sale price of the car)

Good luck with it though. I love seeing people buying true sports cars instead of hot GTs.

I did a little research on this. It turns out they are even cheaper than I originally thought. Discounts of 10-11% seem to be the norm. Brand new lightly optioned Caymans routinely go for $44k-$46k which means the price difference between the Cayman and the e92 I was going to buy is virtually nothing. This is because the difference between invoice and MSRP on Porsches is huge. You may be right about ordered cars, but I know there a lot of Caymans with little or no options on dealers lots here in socal. If I wait till MY2008 comes around I'll probably be able to save even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 09:57 PM   #82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shragon View Post
cayman is a sweet car! i just don't like the name.
Model designation deletion is a free option. Just call it a Porsche 987
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #83
obLu
Major
Rep

Quote:
I did a little research on this. It turns out they are even cheaper than I originally thought. Discounts of 10-11% seem to be the norm. Brand new lightly optioned Caymans routinely go for $44k-$46k which means the price difference between the Cayman and the e92 I was going to buy is virtually nothing. This is because the difference between invoice and MSRP on Porsches is huge. You may be right about ordered cars, but I know there a lot of Caymans with little or no options on dealers lots here in socal. If I wait till MY2008 comes around I'll probably be able to save even more.

Damn that's cool. I probably going to have to take a look as my next car now (Boxster that is, I want a convertible again).
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2007, 10:35 PM   #84
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Damn that's cool. I probably going to have to take a look as my next car now (Boxster that is, I want a convertible again).
The Boxster will even cheaper than that. You could probably get into a left over Boxster S. I've seen 2006's going for under 50k. If you just need 2 seats the Boxster is a no brainer. It has 5 less HP than an e93 335i, but it's probably 800 pounds lighter. Definitely drive it when you get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #85
335icopeman
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

the boxter and cayman are too different cars viral...the boxter is not a true porche...simply like the c230 hatchback iisnt a real MB..well now it is ahahaha
Appreciate 0