E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Very Rough Cold Start, Possible Valvetronic Issue- Help Needed!

04-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

Unhappy Very Rough Cold Start, Possible Valvetronic Issue- Help Needed!

First sign of a problem started the other day when I was filling up. It clicked as if the car was full but apparently it only filled up 3/4. The next day on my way to work the car had an unusually rough start. As you can see in the 1st video attached below, the stumbling rpms. By the time I got to work only 10 minutes away the car had a high pitched whistle. Turned the car off then on and it was gone.

For the past 2 days now I have been dealing with the same thing; rough idle, I drive for 10 minutes and the whistling starts, turn the car off and on a few times and everything is fine. The whistling is gone and it idles fine.. Today was a lot worse (2nd and 3rd video)

I have no lack in power, the car feels the same when it finally idles right.

I did get a check engine light and ran it on my OBD II and got P1017- Valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor.

After lots of research I noticed it is a pattern to see this sensor drenched in oil. So I thought to my self, easy fix replace the sensor and I'm good to go. I took the plastic cover off and the sensor has no signs of leakage whats so ever. So now I really do not know what the issue is. Check out the videos below. Still leads me think to its the sensor but from all idling videos i've seen none are as bad as mine.. What do you think?

Details about the car:

2008 E90 328i N52 09/07 production
106XXX miles
I changed the sparks again at 98XXX, Coils at 54XXX

This was a the first start of the day yesterday:

1st start of the day today. As you can see way rougher and very choked up. I pulled everything apart again today and still no leaks. Turned the car off/on 5-6 times and is working fine again.

This was a little after the first start, after the whistling I turned the car on/off twice and now its running 100% fine again.
      04-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #2
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

It could be your waterpump and tstat giving out soon.
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 10:43 PM   #3
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

If not try checking your idle pulley /serp belt and tensioner but soundas kind like your pump and tstat is going.
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0