E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development

08-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Cool Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW Camera Based Protection System Development
COMMENTS

Another episode from the BMW future lab. It's about pedestrian security.

Most accidents involving pedestrians happen in inner cities at speeds of about 60 km/h. In these situations, a "Camera-based Pedestrian Protection" system can be useful.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
the only thing about this system that I am not sure about is the rear of your car. I dont like the idea of my car stopping itself via any computer system.

I will give them props, they eliminated the risk of camera faults due to debris on the camera by putting it in the interior. I just would feel more comfortable with a camera system in the rear also monitoring the vehicles behind you.

So if the system detects a potential force stop from an object ahead, it will also begin scanning the rear for the vehicles behind that are not aware of whats going on.

As far as what commands to dictate to the vehicle if a rear collision is detected, thats a whole other thing to deal with. there are many ways to do it, either power up and go straight, or turn in an area thats safe....

what would be good is if the car can actually scan traffic 360 degrees, and always have "safe zones" mapped out (at least one) so the car not only can controll power (increase/decrease) but steer away from the dangerous situation by turning in a safe direction towards the safe zone.

This is one invention that needs to be heavily developed and tested before it hits the streets. the transponder idea is a shitty idea, waste of money. yeah, lets just get pedestrians to buy responders and keep it with them... i think not. lol.

If anyone should be the pioneers of this technology, it should be BMW. good luck, make us proud.
      08-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
the only thing about this system that I am not sure about is the rear of your car. I dont like the idea of my car stopping itself via any computer system.

I will give them props, they eliminated the risk of camera faults due to debris on the camera by putting it in the interior. I just would feel more comfortable with a camera system in the rear also monitoring the vehicles behind you.

So if the system detects a potential force stop from an object ahead, it will also begin scanning the rear for the vehicles behind that are not aware of whats going on.

As far as what commands to dictate to the vehicle if a rear collision is detected, thats a whole other thing to deal with. there are many ways to do it, either power up and go straight, or turn in an area thats safe....

what would be good is if the car can actually scan traffic 360 degrees, and always have "safe zones" mapped out (at least one) so the car not only can controll power (increase/decrease) but steer away from the dangerous situation by turning in a safe direction towards the safe zone.

This is one invention that needs to be heavily developed and tested before it hits the streets. the transponder idea is a shitty idea, waste of money. yeah, lets just get pedestrians to buy responders and keep it with them... i think not. lol.

If anyone should be the pioneers of this technology, it should be BMW. good luck, make us proud.
So to simplify what you are proposing... The system lets you run over the child in the street or swerves you into a head on collision with oncoming traffic so you don't get rear ended? I'd rather get rear ended.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
Ajvar
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335 sedan

The volvocars were first with this kind of camera
[OEM M-sport]Stage 3, Procede V4, AMS Fmic, Vishnu Dual Cones, AR DESIGN Catless DP, Scoops, Simons Costum Made Catback, RD V2 Angel Eyes, OEM Blacklines, M3 Trunklip, Mtech CF splitters, CF Trunk/Hood Emblems, CF Mirrors, Matt Black Kidneys, BMW License Plate LED.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

I had something similar on S5... I got to say it really is a good design as it can stop the car when it senses the obstacle in front of you, or vehicle braking fast etc... Sometimes i got distracted and looked down only to notice that a guy in front of me stopped to make a turn... The car would just stop on it's own.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
So to simplify what you are proposing... The system lets you run over the child in the street or swerves you into a head on collision with oncoming traffic so you don't get rear ended? I'd rather get rear ended.
no, im saying that the system should be able to identify safe zones and place the car there in accordance with the situation at hand to avoid being hit all together.
      08-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
john9
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Like the resources very much... Support the page post!

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #8
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post

Sorry but I'd rather get rear ended than have my distraction being responsible for the death of a pedestrian. Even if you aren't distracted and the pedestrian jumps into traffic that would haunt me forever. Car is easily fixable or replaceable. Human lives are not. Hell, I slow down and try to avoid when a freaking squirrel runs across the street. I freak out on people if they could've avoided hitting animals on the road. IMO life of any kind is irreplaceable.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajvar View Post
The volvocars were first with this kind of camera
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #10
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

What's with the dummy? German boys don't have any balls?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
06E90Rostik
2006 join date crew
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 335i  [10.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
What's with the dummy? German boys don't have any balls?
Morgen son! How zu you like to go wiz ze fazer to werk today? You alwayz wanted to c were your Dadi werks
Appreciate 0